Hentz 60 SPS Dominant Tank

Hentz

Just purchased a Crystal Dynamics (The old LeeMar guys) tank.

Its a 60 gallon tank (36x19x20) with a 30 gallon sump.

Since I'm upgrading, most of my SPS will be added to this tank, along with various others.

Equipment I have so far that will be transferred over:
24" 6-Bulb ATI Dimmable (May eventually look at getting a 36")
MP10 x2
Apex Jr (Might upgrade to the full)

- I'll be running a Rio 1400 pump (came with the tank, I'll use it for now until later down the road.)

I have a PSK-75 HOB Skimmer I'm using on my Fusion 40 at the moment. This will definitely be upgraded. I've been looking at the Bubble Magus Curve 5.

So my plans, I think I'm going to throw the MP10's on the back and have an MP40 on the side of a tank. OR MP10's on the back, and a Gyre 130 on the side of the tank.

I do plan on adding a sand bed. I do plan on stocking this tank heavy with fish. I may or may NOT do a refugium.

Livestock so far:
2 Black Onyx Clownfish (my babies for the past 4 years)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Coris

Thanks for the posts guys!

Good equipment choices. What bulb combo are you going to go with?
Thank you sir.
I'm currently running
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+

Though I think I'm going to add an Aquablue or something in the middle and take out a Blue + as it's a little too blue for me.

Today was my ONE day off and it was dedicated to my Polygraph test today for the Police Department here in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, it's rescheduled to sometime next week. Therefore, since I have a free day and I'm up bright and early, I might just get started on a transfer! Doing a water test to make sure all is sealed and no leaks right now.

Looking good so far!
Good luck on the transfer.
Polygraph? Are you trying to become a cop or are they investigating you for something??
And how do we know, for sure, that you are actually doing the transfer today?? :)

Looking good so far!
Good luck on the transfer.
Polygraph? Are you trying to become a cop or are they investigating you for something??
And how do we know, for sure, that you are actually doing the transfer today?? :)

I'm trying to become a cop!

Hmm.. Well, when I turn around, I see everything in the new tank ;)

Been a slow process.. Lifted up rocks to find TONS of bubble algae. Started trying to get them off to quickly come to realize, it's just not going to happen. So my next bet was to buy some live rock from the LFS. She warned me that I shouldn't, due to only getting the shipment of rock in 2 weeks ago.

So I'm using what little rock I have and kinda just debating on doing a minimalistic aquascape.

Picking up the Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer here shortly, if I find the energy to get around to it.

At this point, I'm kind of just throwing my equipment together, the lazy way. I'm burnt out. lol

Lost my Royal Gramma. He was one of my favorites and will be missed!

Good news, SPS are starting to show polyps. So are my Zoa's!

Here's an FTS so far.. Idk if I like the scape yet... It's super minimal and small in this tank. I had to toss a few live rock since it was COVERED in bubble algae. Purchased two new rocks which one is on the left, and the other is the branchy cliff one on the right. I am kind of digging the minimalistic look, though I'm not sure yet. Tank is just clearing up still so I can finally see what is going where.

It's not bad like this hentz but i'm sure you'll make some adjustments.
Personally i've never(not even once) kept my first aquascape attempt:)

Love the minimalistic approach too:beer:

Little bit of an update.. Finally got around to glueing corals down. Still not happy with the aqua scape. Really wish I could start from complete scratch. But it is what it is I guess?

Once things grow in a bit, you'll be happier..
I think it's got a natural wild look to it that will really let the corals create the balance..
You should really be careful with those green star polyps... They are a tsunami waiting to roll over and smother your sps..
Yours seem to be growing rapidly. They will not stop when they hit sps, they will just grow right over them. Sps have no defense against gsp..

I agree with matt with everything he wrote!
Especially regarding the GSP.

If you are not happy with the scape get some dead rock and try to make something you like.
You will have the time to do what you like outside the tank,without disturbing your animals and then you replace the one you have.You don't have much rock now plus it's basically two islands,which you can replace easily.
Just check your waters parameters if you go that way.

Looks good, but ya those GSP are a PITA. :lol: I like the setup! Btw, those are Darwin Clowns, not Onyx. Onyx have orange fins. Yours are very nice, solid black, no orange noses. :D

@Myka, wow! They were sold to me as "Black Onyx Clowns"! The Female has a little smudge of orange on the nose. I'd get a picture but she won't stay still long enough for me to capture one.

@Everyone - GSP is an absolute PITA! Beautiful as can be. But I will slowly be removing some. I covered up a rock completely of GSP, nice size rock of it. Also removed the bottom area that was venturing out. I'll slowly rid it... hopefully...

UPDATE:
I FINALLY REAQUASCAPED!!!! Looks so much better as there is so much more room for acros. Looks a lot better imo and the rocks just fit together so nicely. Almost has a seemless look. Give it a few months and it will haha.
Purchased 4 new Aussie acros today. LFS had an event where they showed people how to frag and sold frags of the aussie colonies for $10. Recieved a purple tip something, blue acro, yellow highlighter maybe? and a strawberry shortcake. Hope they do well! Definitely cheap for $40 total haha.

Will post pics when everything settles.

My huge colony on the left has gone from a bright green to greenish/brown. It's settling in the system finally as it was laying down prior to a few days ago. Tank is in full recovery mode and HOPEFULLY makes a wonderful comeback.

Aussie Yellow Tabling Acro

Aussie SSC

Back