Hentz 60 SPS Dominant Tank

Beautiful tank. bubble algae had a good foothold on my reef for a long time. Perhaps coincidence, but since adding a ATS and UV its disappearing. It was everywhere in thick patches but now it's just some bubbles here and there. P04 was managed with GFO but I have recentkh taken the reactor offline and still maintaining .02. Good luck.

Looking great. I ordered my first corals for my SPS dominant tank. Your tank and comments inspired me to do an SPS tank with the hydra HDs I got. My past SPS experience and LED light experience is minimal, so I might come with more questions.

Thanks for the compliments!

Big E, thanks for your comment. I've been tempted to use it. I'm pretty over BA so I just look passed it. I also pull out/pop every so often.

Update on my tank, corals are really starting to come in. I was gone for 2 days and came back to definite noticeable growth on most Acro's. Tank is on complete auto-pilot as I haven't even done a water change in about a month!!! Only thing I've been doing is shaking my ZEOvit Reactor and dosing the daily/weekly chemicals.

My lady and I also delivered a horse to Santa Barbara, California this past weekend. Wow what a beautiful area. We delivered it to the Polo & Racquet Club. Got to watch our first Polo game right before we left to head back home. We got to stay in an apartment overlooking the main Polo field as you can see in the pictures, it was just BEAUTIFUL! We were truly blown away by the game as well. We didn't know Polo Riders have around 10 horses that they use per game. The rider would ride one horse for 3-6 minutes and hop on the other horse that their Groom has tacked up and ready to go. The Groom would then immediately take the used horse back, untack it and give it a bath. Some people believe these horses are ran to the ground. Truth is, they're some of the most spoiled horses around and LOVE playing the game as you can see from their body language. Down below is our view and some pics.

Last edited:
How did you like the gyre on the 56? Is the one your only source of flow?

I am thinking about getting opposing gyre 130s (alternating) to replace my hydors in my 40b. I like the lack of dead spots and alternating flow that is possible. Seems like a lot of flow for the money compared to vortechs, too.

How did you like the gyre on the 56? Is the one your only source of flow?

I am thinking about getting opposing gyre 130s (alternating) to replace my hydors in my 40b. I like the lack of dead spots and alternating flow that is possible. Seems like a lot of flow for the money compared to vortechs, too.

I love it. I will say, it replaced my two MP40's.
I do however wish I had another one. Maybe the 130 will be my next purchase so like you said, I can alternate flow. Right now the ride side lacks a bit of flow and the left gets blasted, however nothing major.

I do really enjoy my debris/detritus meeting up all in one spot in the front of the right tank. Literally makes a perfect pile for me so I can siphon it out every water change.

Good to hear. I have a sand bottom (I can't help it... I like the look), so I am hoping I can run it without it turning into the windy Sahara. I have 75x turnover on my tank now without sand blowing problems. Two MP40s on a 36" tank is pretty crazy, but I don't have a lot of experience with Vortechs. I like the idea of 2 130s as opposed to a single 150. I was planning on having 1 for 30 seconds, then both for a second, then the other for 30 seconds, then none for a second. That should be pretty turbulent.

Good to hear. I have a sand bottom (I can't help it... I like the look), so I am hoping I can run it without it turning into the windy Sahara. I have 75x turnover on my tank now without sand blowing problems. Two MP40s on a 36" tank is pretty crazy, but I don't have a lot of experience with Vortechs. I like the idea of 2 130s as opposed to a single 150. I was planning on having 1 for 30 seconds, then both for a second, then the other for 30 seconds, then none for a second. That should be pretty turbulent.

My SPS really enjoyed my MP40's. They enjoy my Gyre even more haha

In a perfect world, I would do two Gyre 150's. They take up the width of my tank which is a perfect fit IMO.

But I'd rather two Gyre 130's over one Gyre 150 as well. I just got a nice deal on the Gyre 150.

So I've made a big decision.

I'm selling off my coral and giving my system a nice deep clean. The Bubble Algae has gone too far and is coming back in the hundreds with tons and tons of small bubbles everywhere. It's progressing quicker than I get to them.

I'll start with a fresh clean system and fresh rock as well.

I would setup a separate system, however I just don't have the extra equipment or cash for it to do so.

Dang, that's rough. But I guess it is better than losing all the coral to the bubble algae. Any words of wisdom on how to prevent it?

Dang, that's rough. But I guess it is better than losing all the coral to the bubble algae. Any words of wisdom on how to prevent it?

You can buy fish and emerald crabs to help pick ones that pop up, out. But it's always a hit or miss. I've tried 3 fish and 8+ emerald crabs. Didn't touch it at all lol.

My word of wisdom, inspect your rock and all. Don't pop in the tank. And if you see it on any frag or anything, swap out the plug and all lol.

This next refresh will be completely taken care of for preventatives

I have two acros left. I gave a lot away to a great guy I've known for a few years. Crazy to see my corals and hard work go, however I'm excited for a new and fresh beginning.

Sad to hear it, but maybe your friend can get you a nice frag pack going when your tank is ready again? Looking forward to seeing you rebuild nonetheless. :)

Little video update for you guys!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GmFFz1q9smc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the new build come together. No more pacing in circles while videoing, mkay? Having a hard time keeping down my lunch...

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the new build come together. No more pacing in circles while videoing, mkay? Having a hard time keeping down my lunch...

I'll make sure to sit on a sit and spin next time, just for you ReefWreak :D:beer:

Back