Hentz 60 SPS Dominant Tank

So the lady finally upgraded trucks! She's been hauling with her 2001 F150 for the past 6 years. While its treated her great, 45mph uphill with a horse trailer attached, pinned, isn't so great for timing nor on the truck. So she finally got the chance to upgrade! 2011 F250. Thing hauls her trailer so nicely. Even though I'm incredibly jealous, I'm so beyond excited and happy for her. This is a truck that will last us years to come.

Another thing upgraded... Maybe? I came across a 93 Gallon Cube deal I just COULD NOT PASS UP. The asking price was insane and unfortunate because the gentleman is moving out of state in a week. I basically stole this from him, along with 3 250w Metal Halides, 2 Ballasts, Crystal Elite 36 Sump, Mag 12 Pump, 2 1.1 BRS Dosers, full Reefkeeper Lite with 3 PC4's, 5-stage RODI, 50 lbs of rock, 2 36-48 Current Orbit LED's, and a box full of even more goodies. If I upgrade, I'll be selling most everything off that I do not need. If I do upgrade, I'd be building a dream build of mine. Bonsai/Minimalist SPS ZEOvit 93 Cube :)

Love that cube. Love cubes in general.
And that truck! It's a beaut.
You both seem to have scored.
Honestly, though, in this particular case, the lady's acquisition is a bit more impressive. :)

I'm glad you had a good trip to SF! Looks like you guys got some good weather too, it can be really foggy and cold this time of year. The beach is actually freezing right now.

Looking forward to the upgrade if you decide to go ahead with it. Your tank is looking great right now though.

Looks like you had a bit of fun on the trip mate :) Would be awesome to see the aquarium though!! At least the tank didn't miss you too much :p looks phenomenal!

Would make for a very very nice bonsai reef! I think you'll be upgrading sooner than you plan now that you have all of that nice gear! ;)

Thanks so much guys!

@reefmutt - I agree, hers is way more impressive! We both drool over her truck. We showed my dad last night, who is a diesel guy, and he was drooling over it as well. We're madly in love with this truck!!

@ReefWreak - Thanks man! I change tanks so much I feel like.. But this is the biggest I've ever gone, I don't think I'd go bigger until I have my own complete house.

@cFloor - It was amazing! We seriously did not want to leave and come back to the 111 degree weather lol. We actually literally had to catch our breaths when we walked outside of the airport here in Las Vegas. It was like stepping foot into a sauna, INSANE. Though for SF, my poor girl packed for colder weather, as we experienced two years ago during the same time. Little did we know, you guys were having "hot" days lol.

@Wrangy - So much fun! I was thinking either a bonsai or minimal aquascape. I'm not too sure yet. I'm going to take my time and plan hardcore on this one!

As for the upgrade, still undecided. It would be a lot of work. I would have to borrow a sump from someone, break down my 56 gallon, move it to where the 93 is now, set it back up, then move my 93 to the spot my 56 is in right now and set that up. I'd be using some very nicely cured rock and what not that is BUBBLE ALGAE and PEST free lol. I'd be setting the 93 up to cycle completely before moving everything over. I was told I'd be able to run my ZEOstones in my 56 in a mesh bag for the time being, which makes it nice. As said above to Wrangy, I'd be either doing a bonsai aquascape or a minimal aquascape. Either way would look great and be easy to make it look "filled in".
I am however, blown away each time I walk by the 93 to see how gigantic it is. SO much room to play with. I've never had a tank this big so the tank is massive to me. I could finally add some cool fish!
Downfall; I JUST bought my ATI 6x39 36" fixture. The 93 is 30x30 so I'd be building a canopy to kind of overhang, hopefully fitting the fixture on top so it doesn't look awkward. Worst case, I sell my ATI along with my 56 gallon setup and run the Metal Halides this tank came with along with a Kessil 350. Decisions decisions, I've got time and room to play. Just got to see what I'll be doing!

I'm sure your acros are happy you went back to T5s. I made the switch recently, and my acros have responded so well. Bummer the new lights won't fit on the 90g, but that's how it goes when you upgrade. :/

I'm sure your acros are happy you went back to T5s. I made the switch recently, and my acros have responded so well. Bummer the new lights won't fit on the 90g, but that's how it goes when you upgrade. :/

Man they're SO happy. I'm literally seeing daily growth on some of my Milleporas! It's insane.
Though with the fitting, the fixture I think is 35-35.6" long so I'll just have to make the canopy a little larger. No big deal. Worse case I trained for a 24x8 like rovster mentioned!

Get a 24x8 or a Giesemann spectra 400 for the 93!!

Hell, if I could find a Girsemann Spectra 24 for sale, I may do that! Those are such nice lights lol. I'm going to shoot for my ATI6x39 first and see how it does over the tank

Man they're SO happy. I'm literally seeing daily growth on some of my Milleporas! It's insane.
Though with the fitting, the fixture I think is 35-35.6" long so I'll just have to make the canopy a little larger. No big deal. Worse case I trained for a 24x8 like rovster mentioned!

Hell, if I could find a Girsemann Spectra 24 for sale, I may do that! Those are such nice lights lol. I'm going to shoot for my ATI6x39 first and see how it does over the tank

Going to put one over a 60, Zeo too:D

Sad to say, Bubble Algae got ANOTHER acro. They also took down another acro just a few days ago. I've added Emerald Crabs to my system but they aren't even looking at it. I'm doneeee with Bubble Algae. DONE!!!

Yea, bubble algae is starting to take a foothold and spread a bit in my tank... Not sure what to do about it, even in a nano. Emerald crabs and siphoning/removing them I guess.

Though I feel a lot better about having it seeing it in many/most of the SPS experts' tanks.

Wow that's insane... I had an urchin doing the same thing, ripping my acros up epoxy and all.... luckily I could get rid of that problem easily. Good luck with the bubble algae, I would be so ticked off. :(

I am beyond over this. I've tried two Fox Faces, 8 Emerald crabs total now, multiple times where the rock was removed and brushed off heavily and very carefully.

I'm seriously ready to break the tank down and setup up something else.

I don't think I'll be using the 93. I just can't do it with the short stand and I think think I can fit a bigger one that's wide enough to fit through my door. So I'm at a loss

Manually removed some Bubble Algae from my tank. Figured, if I pop some, is there really any MORE damage it could do? So I went to town. I couldn't even tell you how many I pulled out and how many are still left. Pictures of my bubble algae invasion literally don't do it justice.

I'm right there with you! I figure if I pop a few it's worth it to get the large colonys out. If it makes you feel any better many thriving SPS tanks have the same affliction we do.

Very nice tank!
Whiskey

I'm also familiar with the tub o valonia.... :(
I'm thinking of going on a popping spree instead of removal..
The emeralds and fish will just have more valonia flesh to graze on and it's not like the spores ain't already flowing freely in my system.

I'm also familiar with the tub o valonia.... :(
I'm thinking of going on a popping spree instead of removal..
The emeralds and fish will just have more valonia flesh to graze on and it's not like the spores ain't already flowing freely in my system.

It sucks man!
If you have a lot, what's it going to hurt that you pop more? Haha. I had a few people text me and be like, "NOOOO DONT POP THEM!!!" While I'm thinking, what MORE damage can it do?! Haha.

I need to get some fish that like to eat the flesh of it. My emeralds seem to be not interested in it. M

I removed a lot more today, by hand. I even pulled out a rock today and just started pulling them off with my fingers... Until they started squirting all in my eyes and mouth lmao.

Tank is doing great. I started dosing ME Amino Acids. My corals were quite pale from the stripped water so this is surprisingly helping quite a bit with color.
A local Reefer has a very low nutrient tank and he's been dosing these AA's so get his color up so I tried also. Working great

On the bubble algae---

I've used Algaefix on more than one occasion and it worked well both times. I pulled out as much as I could see and then dosed per instructions.

I used it on my 75g display and also on a separate frag system.
My friend just starting dosing without pulling out the bubbles and it took a longer treatment time. I believe the Algaefix does a better job of killing the spores.

There are some watch outs.............because it kills algae your nutrient levels will rise. I wouldn't chase down the levels, but you're going to experience a change in the system.

You also have to track alk as the corals aren't going to grow as much so stay on top of it to avoid an alk spike.

Basically your going to have to suffer some imbalances during the treatment for about 2-3 weeks. These imbalances will then take a month or two to settle back in.

I've been reluctant to pass this on to a lot of people because it takes an experienced reefer to not overact and do harm to the system because of what unfolds in the near term.

I wasn't running any type of complicated system, so I don't know how it would react with a commercial bacterial system.

I would not use this product if I had any type of algae export system in place like a refugium, scrubber, ect.

Back