Here I Go Again - Office 10g

More progress on my rescue utter chaos... Slowly....

Might experiment with a dip soon. My blowpops are half closed which is unusual but have been for a week so might be time to learn a new trick.

Screenshot_2024-02-27-18-13-59-38_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

I dropped one of my rescue frags in to see how things are going with this light and setup. Took four days away to help my wife through a surgery, came back to open zoa's.

Temp seemed high at around 80, so I removed the lid to let water evaporate making easy top off of fresh, and let it cool a bit

Frag started closing up. I realized temp dropped to an avg of 75.

Yesterday went back to just keeping the lid on and they're opening up again. Temp is back to 78 and they seem to like it.

I have played with different light settings to see if it was too bright or too dark but it seems like temp was key.

I'll start adding things carefully and if the tank seems stable start having fun!

Screenshot_2024-03-01-08-59-18-00_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

hit the local petco today just cause they were 5 minutes from my office at work to see what they had. while the tanks were very clean, the lighting is poor. they had very healthy looking zoas that showed absolutely zero color for $29.99 (lighting issue) so I passed. I did grab to astria snails and I couldn't help it but they had a orchid dottyback there on sale with beautiful purple coloring on sale for $16.99 so I threw my first fish in this tank. she's exploring now and looks healthy.

for reference, other local LFS are getting $90 for dottybacks now! I grabbed my wifes I think for $30, but I'm not about to pay $90. when I saw this one for $16 I had to grab it....

Nice. I got my Orchid Dottyback from my local Petco for $30 and thought I got a good deal. Man, $17 for one is a steal.

I had no intention of buying a fish today. I wanted shrimp, snails and maybe a zoa but couldn't turn that down

You got lucky. It must be just your Petco. Went to mine this morning and it was regular price. I know they match their online prices so, I looked it up on the website hoping for a sale…nope, full price.

You got lucky. It must be just your Petco. Went to mine this morning and it was regular price. I know they match their online prices so, I looked it up on the website hoping for a sale…nope, full price.
Be aware Petco policy is they generally do not price match live animals as no two specimens are the same. Been turned down by multiple petcos trying to price match live goods.

Really? My crappy Petco matches livestock. Probably because the staff just doesn’t care. I’ve never tried a livestock match at my good Petco.

Be aware Petco policy is they generally do not price match live animals as no two specimens are the same. Been turned down by multiple petcos trying to price match live goods.
I had told myself I was never going back to this one again because they pissed me off over a broken heater they sold me and wouldn't take back a year or two ago, but it was five minutes from my office and I really wanted to add SOMETHING to my tank since it's cycle is finished lol

I had told myself I was never going back to this one again because they pissed me off over a broken heater they sold me and wouldn't take back a year or two ago, but it was five minutes from my office and I really wanted to add SOMETHING to my tank since it's cycle is finished lol
It's a tale as old as time... this hobby will do a number on your sense of duty or pride. You get the itch... you gotta go. 😄

Added these today, I like them! I need to add more color to the tank.

I like this setup, low and slow. Because I can sneak down to the LFS on my lunch break for an escape and add a small frag here and there.

IMG20240306150521.jpg

I dropped one of my rescue frags in to see how things are going with this light and setup. Took four days away to help my wife through a surgery, came back to open zoa's.

Temp seemed high at around 80, so I removed the lid to let water evaporate making easy top off of fresh, and let it cool a bit

Frag started closing up. I realized temp dropped to an avg of 75.

Yesterday went back to just keeping the lid on and they're opening up again. Temp is back to 78 and they seem to like it.

I have played with different light settings to see if it was too bright or too dark but it seems like temp was key.

I'll start adding things carefully and if the tank seems stable start having fun!

View attachment 32397466

My blowpops at home have not only flourished but doubled in size since dipping them. That green zoa I posted I took home and it's doing much better too. that pink looking one I keep in this 10g office tank and I still only have them and the orchid dottyback in there.

parameters seem fine, but the zoas are not opening up much more than you see there. So I made some changes:

1. used my pnw micro frag rack (magnetic) to move the zoa frag closer to the light
2. new filter
3. magnesium dosing.
4. added an airline through a diffuser to add some oxygenation and a tiny bit more water movement

moving the frag rack closer to the light a few days ago seems to have zero effect so far. with the tank parameters seeming fine, the fish doing well, and the zoa struggling to thrive all I can figure is the tank is either too clean, or the light simply isn't enough for corals.

One day after mag and a new filter and it's starting to open up a little better.

I have two frags of this original piece at home and each polyp is twice the size and spreading already so I know what it's capable of if I can get it healthy....

1000011813.jpg

One day after mag and a new filter and it's starting to open up a little better.

I have two frags of this original piece at home and each polyp is twice the size and spreading already so I know what it's capable of if I can get it healthy....

View attachment 32399127

Still looks pretty much the same... It's actually growing, there are more polyps yet none of the polyps are opening fully. The other half of this frag is in my display tank at home and is growing like a weed.

Back