How big would a tank have to be to house these fish ?

That tank is way overstocked.

Way... along with some poor individual choices for fish, and fishes that aren't very compatible together.

A tank needed to house that stocklist would need to be huge...much bigger than I would be willing to set up at my parents' house and have to move in the near future.

How old are you (how long will you be around to take care of the tank in the current house) ?

Way... along with some poor individual choices for fish, and fishes that aren't very compatible together.

A tank needed to house that stocklist would need to be huge...much bigger than I would be willing to set up at my parents' house and have to move in the near future.

How old are you (how long will you be around to take care of the tank in the current house) ?
I am not saying my age all you need to know is I am at high school but I am not the only one in the house who wants the tank. I will be around for another 6 to 12 years

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

How big of tank for just a green spotted puffer a porcupine and a dogface/star and stripes/golden puffer ? So only 2 big puffers

at least 300 gallons I would say. Puffers don't love other puffers
I know that but I have never seen any puffers being aggressive towards each over. I have only heard of one puffer killing another in a tank and that was a golden puffer killing a mappa puffer. Alot of video of aggressive tanks I see usually have a porcupine puffer and another arothron puffer (usually a star and stripes or dogface)

It is possible that only puffers will be boring for you in the next years.

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
I have loved puffers since I was 3 and I saw one at a LFS with my grandparents it was a porcupine puffer and i really loved it. I wanted to buy it but I did not understand the difference between fresh and salt water so when my grand dad told me it was saltwater I wanted to buy some salt in my goldfish tank do I could get him my parents would not let me

Put some salt in my goldfish tank not buy the autocorrect on my phone is messed up

I am not saying my age all you need to know is I am at high school

Why not? I wouldn't berate someone for being a certain age, and it seems relevant in this discussion to me.

Anyway, don't take everything you see on youtube as good advice...or the internet in general for that matter. This site is, at least somewhat, peer reviewed.

Why not? I wouldn't berate someone for being a certain age, and it seems relevant in this discussion to me.

Anyway, don't take everything you see on youtube as good advice...or the internet in general for that matter. This site is, at least somewhat, peer reviewed.

I agree with that.. I'm in high school too, I'm 17. Everyone on this board has been extremely helpful to me, and as long as the discussions are mature, people usually won't even realize your age. This entire thread seems like you see a fish you like, and you want to keep it in your home, which is completely fine, as that's the basis of aquarium keeping. But, the question shouldn't be "what is the minimum size tank I can cram all these fish into", because that's not healthy for the fish, and they'll likely die, which won't make you happy either. Take our advice, and get the biggest tank you can afford, and take good care of it. Maintaining large tanks is not cheap, and it's a massive step up from the 22 gallon you have. Water changes on a 180 gallon tank can likely cost between $50-70 a month, which gets pricey fast. Big pufferfish are amazing animals, but they are animals who need to be respected and they need their space. Anything that is big enough to hold 2-3 big puffers is likely going to be custom, and cost easily $4000+. That's not factoring in the stand, and the filtration required to house the massive bioload puffers come with, won't be cheap either. I know the position that you're in, as I still live with my parents as well, and price is always the first point brought up. A tank large enough to hold these fish... That's going to be a hell of a sales pitch if you can pull that off to your parents.

I agree with that.. I'm in high school too, I'm 17. Everyone on this board has been extremely helpful to me, and as long as the discussions are mature, people usually won't even realize your age. This entire thread seems like you see a fish you like, and you want to keep it in your home, which is completely fine, as that's the basis of aquarium keeping. But, the question shouldn't be "what is the minimum size tank I can cram all these fish into", because that's not healthy for the fish, and they'll likely die, which won't make you happy either. Take our advice, and get the biggest tank you can afford, and take good care of it. Maintaining large tanks is not cheap, and it's a massive step up from the 22 gallon you have. Water changes on a 180 gallon tank can likely cost between $50-70 a month, which gets pricey fast. Big pufferfish are amazing animals, but they are animals who need to be respected and they need their space. Anything that is big enough to hold 2-3 big puffers is likely going to be custom, and cost easily $4000+. That's not factoring in the stand, and the filtration required to house the massive bioload puffers come with, won't be cheap either. I know the position that you're in, as I still live with my parents as well, and price is always the first point brought up. A tank large enough to hold these fish... That's going to be a hell of a sales pitch if you can pull that off to your parents.
I know how expensive these things are my budget is £5000 so about $6300. Cause that's what I expected a 200 gallon to cost my original plan was to get a red sea reefer 750 litre XXL. I knew I could get a bigger custom tank cheaper but it seemed like it would be difficult and stressful

If you want to go with that tank, you're going to need to make a fish list around that size tank. That means only ONE puffer and no big angel. If you want to focus on the fish list, youre going to need a huge custom tank

The reason I can get the tank is cause my Mam fell in love with a porcupine puffer she saw at a LFS. I know how big this project would be so I may just get a porcupine and a narrow line puffer. That should be ok in a 200 right since narrow lines are the simplest arothron puffer and usually reach about 8/10 inches in captivity and about 12 in the wild they are also alot Skinner than other arothrons.

I ment to say smallest not simplest my phone has horrible auto correct

Two puffers in a 200 gallon tank will not work. It just wont. Look at any site, puffers are a "no" for compatability. Also, the tank is 160 gallons, which is even more of a bad idea for two puffers

I know how expensive these things are my budget is £5000 so about $6300. Cause that's what I expected a 200 gallon to cost my original plan was to get a red sea reefer 750 litre XXL. I knew I could get a bigger custom tank cheaper but it seemed like it would be difficult and stressful

Okay, cool. Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL only is 160 gallons in the display. It's not even big enough for one of those pufferfish, maybe the a porcupine if you really want to cram it in there. Plus, it comes with reef lighting, something you've said does not interest you. There's no point in spending 1k on 4 hydra 26's when all you need is a simple strip light to see your fish. I'd recommend going custom, but the only problem is the tank itself will go over your budget, not including plumbing, filtration, sump, water changes, feeding, etc... I've never ordered a custom tank, but judging from the experiences I've read about, it's usually really easy to get custom tanks, as the people who are building them are usually very nice.

Just saw your new posts. Sorry man, 2 puffers in a 160 won't work. I wouldn't go with the Red Sea line, as they're really geared towards reef tanks, not FOWLRs.

If you want to go with that tank, you're going to need to make a fish list around that size tank. That means only ONE puffer and no big angel. If you want to focus on the fish list, youre going to need a huge custom tank
Ok so the 1 puffer will be a porcupine what over fish on the list can go in the 200 gallon with it ? I really like arothron puffers so would a narrow line work ?

BigBlueTang how many gallons is your biggest tank since you live with your parents to and how many tanks do you have

I would really recommend a narrow line over the porcupine. You want your fish to be happy and that puffer will not be happy in a tank that small

Back