How do you collect clown fry?

Anemone12

Well I always collect mine clownfosh fry the night they hatch by siphoning them out of the tank. Well what I notice is the next day only about 30 clown fry or left, I'm guessing that siphoning them out killed most of them. So what the best way to get them out of the tank? What is your method.

I put in a bathroom tile for them to lay the eggs on, the night of the hatch I will pull the tile and place it in the 5 gal fry tank. replace the tile with a new one.

I put in a bathroom tile for them to lay the eggs on, the night of the hatch I will pull the tile and place it in the 5 gal fry tank. replace the tile with a new one.

^This is probably the best method. My clowns refuse to lay on anything besides rock that is too big to remove from my tank. In this case a larval snagger will be your best friend.

Or cover the rock with tile. I had a pair of gold strip maroons in a tank by themselves & they would lay on the glass so I put clear acrylic pieces in that area.

I use the larval trap when mine where in the main tank along with a hose to siphon the ones out that would not go to the trap.

Someone in our local club used the Vossen larval trap and only caught 6 fry along with loads of mysids.

My clowns refuse to lay on a tile, and will knock over anything that I try to use to cover their favorite rock. So on hatch night I turn off all the light, pumps, and powerheads. After about 45 mins I check the tank and usually find the majority of the larvae have hatched. I then shine a penlight at the corner of the tank and skim them off the surface with a shallow bowl when they approach the light. A little labor intensive but I lose very few larvae this way, and my clowns don't really give me any other options.

Someone in our local club used the Vossen larval trap and only caught 6 fry along with loads of mysids.

My clowns refuse to lay on a tile, and will knock over anything that I try to use to cover their favorite rock. So on hatch night I turn off all the light, pumps, and powerheads. After about 45 mins I check the tank and usually find the majority of the larvae have hatched. I then shine a penlight at the corner of the tank and skim them off the surface with a shallow bowl when they approach the light. A little labor intensive but I lose very few larvae this way, and my clowns don't really give me any other options.

I do it the same way! :bounce1:

Back