how long does it take for the clownfish to move in to the anemone

Depends on the type of clown and the type of anemone.

I personally have seen it take seconds, all the way up to a couple of months.

My Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns moved into my bubbletip anemone right when I released them into the display tank (anemone had been in there for months and the clowns were young).

It all depends on the clowns really when they are ready they will go to it.
I've seen it take a few months in my cases

Mine had absolutely no interest in my RBTA for almost nine months. I was actually talking with my girlfriend about trading them in for another pair that might. I woke up this morning and both of them were in the anemone!! Needless to say I'm pretty excited. But from what I understand its pretty much a 50/50 shot. Some do it, some dont.

I almost feel bad saying it, but every clown I've had has gone in to an anemone within minutes of being put in the tank.

As others have mentioned, it depends on the fish. It took my ocellaris clowns a little over a year. I'm convinced the only reason that they finally decided to go into the anemone was because I moved the tank into my new house. They got scared and needed protection.

Took about 6 months till mine took to it. They were in the tank first then added the nem about a month later. I think it was more by fluke though. I stuck my hand in the tank and they went scooting threw it and almost came to a complete halt when they went out the other side. Almost as if they really enjoyed it. cant keep them out of it now. lol

I am a firm believer in natural symbionts. Provide your clowns with their natural host and it's just a matter of time IMO.

I have two black and whites and it's taken them 9 months and the female just started to go in my RBTA the other day I'm hoping both will be in and hosting it soon I also have a carpet nem that they don't even look at.

Back