How many of you have lost fish to your anemones?

COreefer

Premium Member
I am just wondering...I talked to the woman at the LFS and she said she lost some big fish to her BTA. She says she lost a trigger and is sure her Clarks dragged the fish into the anemone. I'm wondering how many and what types of fish have been lost to specifically BTA's.

Hope to gather some good info from this thread...

My large clowns(A. chrysogaster) drag anything they can back to the colony of BTAs. Cleaner shrimp, gobies, blennies, chromis :rolleyes:

If I put a small enough trigger in this tank, it would be fed as well. Net effect though, the clowns are doing the damage and the anemone is eating the target after the fact.

I lost a six-line wrasse to my green BTA, found his little skull on the sand next to the anemone :(. The anemone was at least 5" across at the time.

I have almost lost my firefish a few times to my carpet but he always seems to bolt away, one of these days he is gonna get cought, its almost like he is a cat with 9 lives,lol.
(he is on his 8th)

I lost way too many fish to my carpet to even start naming them all, some within seconds of putting them in the tank i had some after a couple day and some longer but i would probably cry if i added my cost of it up. Considering the carpet was spread out about 18" or so in diameter he could, and did eat many big fish too.

I've had two tank wipeouts (i.e., lose every fish) to my ritteri when it has been disturbed (i.e., when it needed to be moved from one tank to another). It even managed to kill a fish that was in the tank I moved it out from once, it released enough of whatever it releases when defensive (probably a huge explosion of nematocysts) in the 30 seconds it took me to remove it from that tank. The fairy wrasse came to explore the space that was suddenly open, 10 minutes later he was dead. The other times I lost yellow tangs, blennies, a gorgeous potter's angel, and another fairy wrasse. I hate moving that thing. I now keep it in a fishless system, the grief that it causes me is just not worth it.

Although I never lost fish to my carpet because I kept it in a fishless system, after it outgrew my system and I sold it, I heard that it ate all kinds of fish. Moorish Idol, tangs, chromis, etc. etc. etc.

Anemones need to be a very carefully measured choice. If you love your fish, tread carefully, is my advice.

Knock and wood, and anything else I need to do to not jinx myself, but so far (16 months) we haven't lost a fish to our sebae yet. Our goby was even resting on the sand with tentacles touching him and was fine. We shewd him away though, to make me feel better. I have a scooter blenny and flame angel that love to go over where the nem and the clowns are, they seem to know how close they can get and still be safe. It's much closer than I would prefer though!!

Thanks for all of the info...

Let me ask this though...do anemones release nematocysts on a regular basis? I thought the only way for a coral or fish to be effected by an anemone was to come into contact with it...is this not so?

What got my lawnmower blenny back in the '90's was an elephant ear mushroom. They're carnivorous. We had no idea at the time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585343#post7585343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kennyboy1984
LOL. I had no idea anenomies could be this vicious! Are BTA's this bad?
No they are not bad at all, but the carpets are on the other hand.

Back