How to keep an Idiot busy...150DD

I really don't know, I bought something from everywhere and didn't really dip because of the qt. And dips don't kill eggs so they really aren't effective at prevention I feel they are more to break the life cycle if you do get something. Either way I wouldn't expect any store with decent livestock and turnover of it to be pest free, it's not realistic. That's why the last year my system was running I hardly added anything to it from anyone. And oh man was it nice to buy what I wanted again. It had been years since I could do that.

Sorry to hear James, definitely a bummer.

Look at this back. Coming back with a vengeance!!!!

Thanks Mike!
The QT tank is in a sweet spot right now. It was overstocked, dirty then fish less and carbon dosed and too clean lightening all the coral. Now there has been a tomini tang and a blue eyed cardinal with a few ml's of vinegar and everything is looking the best it has so far. Interestingly NO3 is 16 and P04 is .11. Monti colors are off though you can see the two discs in the last pic that are rainbow and pokerstar.

Last edited:
Yup making it look easy once again. I always did well with carbon dosing.

Thanks.
Look maybe but certainly is not. Lots of work and it keeps me from finishing the DT. I've put a monti and a birdsnest in the DT sump under a rapid led par38 and they die. Gotta figure that out and finish the t5's so I can clear some of these frags out and make room for FFM frags. It has been good learning to be able to experiment with nutrient levels, light intensity and duration and see how they react. There is a definite connection with high nutrient high light and low nutrient low light.

Hey Pat, Those are some great photos. Good luck with the tank!

Thanks Joe. It's been awhile since I've had time to use the camera. Gotta love the way the macro lense picks up the details. One of the best purchases I've made.

How is this tank doing? Any update??

Thanks for asking

We want updates Pat!

yeah yeah, I'll get your pics processed.

The tank is doing pretty good. I've shut down the frag tank with help from Marc and Dave. We spent almost 7 hours cutting and dipping and scrubbing frags. The QT was worth all the trouble it took. The DT went through a good hair algae phase and now has a ton of cyano. Doesn't bother me though, the sps have decent color.

Also I tried to install my t5 retro fits inside a shortened commercial light fixture I modified. I have a switch for each set of bulbs. I installed ATI fans blowing in but it is running hot so I am working on using a larger fan installed in the sump room and have it pull the hot air out instead. I may feed the hot air into the skimmer to help the heaters run less. I'll post some good pics when I have some time. I have 4 blue+ and 4 coral+ coming in this week and I will add the AI's in front of the 8 bulb when I get a chance.

Had a slow crash, my own fault. TDS was putting out 2, bulbs age was unknown and Mag dropped to 1100. Alk was always stable though! Cyano was everywhere. I fixed those issues and only lost the red dragon and a wild piece.

Back