How to put a fish to sleep (euthanize)

I just get a cleaver and one strike does it. Had to do it to my prized ryukin. Sucks but he was gone in no time.

There are situations where a fish just doesn't have it in him/her anymore and drops to the corner waiting for the final moments to come, meanwhile other fish and crustaceans begin picking at it.

What kind of treatment do you perform in this situation? Would putting the fish out of it's misery still be considered "horrible"?

Its pretty difficult to make the decision to euthanize. Sometimes it comes to a point where its clear the treatment will not work. It is not an easy way out, but a humane act when it seems that treatment is not working.

I personally am grateful for the information.

I am a fish undertaker ...
please send me your fish to be euthanized in a plastic bag with no water (saves on shipping) include 100.00's for the service and I will ensure a civil departing....

I like the vodka method. I had a friend of mine try to kill a goldfish by feeding it crushed up cheezits and pop tarts. It lasted 15 days before it died. :spin2:

Couple people talked about using club soda or soda water. I assume you mean soda water, with the CO2 causing the fish to doze off? Club soda has sugar.

Clarify?

After reading all this I am ridiculously happy I have not had to dispatch any of my fish as of yet. Knowing how long lived some speices may be and my minimalist approach to stocking, I hope to now have to do so for quite a long time. It is nice to know however that there are options as opposed to just letting this fish die on its own in the tank.

My question would be, how do you know when? My clown layed on the bottom for two days, barely moving, labored breathing. I had done all the treatment I could at that point and I refused to give up on him. My coral beauty stayed with him the whole time. Swimming up to him and gently nudging him to swim. It was really amazing to watch. (I say 'him' but I realize as the only clown, nemo is a girl at this point LOL) He recovered fully and is doing great now. Makes me have many mixed feelings about a flame angel I lost before that incident. Could she have made it? Did I do all I could?
Lots of questions in this hobby with just as many answers. Euthenatia is hot topic for all things in genral I believe anyway.
On a personal note, I cried when I lost the flame angel. It still makes me incredibly sad to think about.

In aquaculture, we either freeze them in water, or use a commercial sedative overdose. Freezing is humane, as they fall asleep, and don't feel anything.

That being said, it's amazing what fish can recover from, so it can be a tough call to make.

After reading all this I am ridiculously happy I have not had to dispatch any of my fish as of yet. Knowing how long lived some speices may be and my minimalist approach to stocking, I hope to now have to do so for quite a long time. It is nice to know however that there are options as opposed to just letting this fish die on its own in the tank.

My question would be, how do you know when? My clown layed on the bottom for two days, barely moving, labored breathing. I had done all the treatment I could at that point and I refused to give up on him. My coral beauty stayed with him the whole time. Swimming up to him and gently nudging him to swim. It was really amazing to watch. (I say 'him' but I realize as the only clown, nemo is a girl at this point LOL) He recovered fully and is doing great now. Makes me have many mixed feelings about a flame angel I lost before that incident. Could she have made it? Did I do all I could?
Lots of questions in this hobby with just as many answers. Euthenatia is hot topic for all things in genral I believe anyway.
On a personal note, I cried when I lost the flame angel. It still makes me incredibly sad to think about.

It like a decision with any pet is a personal one. You have to judge when your desires for the pet to live exceed the happiness of the pet. I personally make the call when I feel there is no hope. There is no concrete way of telling. Having kept fish for 40 years now I just trust my instinct. I probably know more than most vets would anyway. Except for those guys in Japan....since they spend thousands of dollars on their fish they have fish vets. They give them shots and do surgery. No way i'm that good!

In aquaculture, we either freeze them in water, or use a commercial sedative overdose. Freezing is humane, as they fall asleep, and don't feel anything.

That being said, it's amazing what fish can recover from, so it can be a tough call to make.

I think most people feel this way about freezing, but others have indicated it is painful. Are there any definitive studies or findings one way or the other?

I sure hope that people know that "freezing" fish involves rapid chilling (placing them directly in very cold water [36 to 39 F]) and not putting nice warm tank water and fish into a container and them putting them into the freezer.

i agree. Treat them if you can. If not, don't buy fish.
That being said, if they must go, while fishing in the Bahamas and Virgin islands, I found that a quick splash of rum or vodka over the gills sent them to that big reef in the sky within 1 or 2 seconds. Plus, I didn't have squashed fish head all over the deck. Might slip and spill MY rum !

Couple people talked about using club soda or soda water. I assume you mean soda water, with the CO2 causing the fish to doze off? Club soda has sugar.

Clarify?

They are interchangeable. Club soda does not contain sugar but tonic water does if you were thinking of that.

Back