How was Your day, Hope It was not like mine...

Reef264

Where's The Reef?
"Your Best Days Come From Your Worst Days."
-Some Wise Man.


Well.Its sure been a day.I got up this morning and did my monthly magnifying glass go through inspection on my reef today.It became apparent I was a month to late, I noticed a tiny red bubble algae, if you don't know what that is, read up on it.I took that rock out, and it was just covered on the back, so rather than trying to get it off there, I threw it out, and inspected other pieces, one other rock beside it had been hit and was spreading.I threw it out too.All in all I lost about 75 doll hairs of live rock...Now I only have about 25lbs left, my coral population looks like it has doubled in size.Tank was cloudy from stirred up detritus, so I did a 5g(15% water change and siphoned the sandbed heavily.Tank looks so empty now.They were beautiful pieces of Fiji that had so much purple I could have gave some away and still had more than most rock do.Talk about a bummer of a day, I am trying to keep happy.Its tough though, but nothing is so bad that it can't get worse.

Well that was my day, how did yours turn out?

-Cody
 

RotaryGeek

New member
You didn't lose the rock. Just wait for it to bleach out completely, then put it back in. Or even better would be to boil the rock if you can.
 

RotaryGeek

New member
Yeah just make sure everything is dead on it. Might even want to try cycling it again in a separate tub of saltwater with a powerhead and heater.
 

tkeracer619

Premium Member
You didn't lose the rock. Just wait for it to bleach out completely, then put it back in. Or even better would be to boil the rock if you can.

DO NOT BOIL LIVE ROCK

It is very dangerous for many reasons.

If you want to turn the rock into base rock soak it in a mixture of bleach and water. a half cup of bleach per 5 gallons of water should work fine. Dry the rock completely and then cure it with some live rock. Use pure bleach not the scented type.

"Cooking" live rock does not involve heat but is a method for getting rid of nutrients bound in the rock. Bubble algae is tough stuff. I would bleach then cure the rock.


Watch for a cycle. You pulled out a good amount of your filtration and the tank might not handle it very well.
 

RotaryGeek

New member
I have boiled live rock a couple of times with no problems. What is the danger? I'm asking in all honesty, I don't know. Not trying to be a smart@ss.
 

Kabuto

New member
Before boiling, try doing a strong solution of hydrogen peroxide and saltwater (50/50 or so) for about 5 mins. Then put it in something with your saltwater and see if that works. If not you can then try "cooking" the rock for about a month.
 

Mr.Tan

New member
also, breating in the toxins that come off can cause long term issues down the road especially if you have other things growing on it, IE polyps..

I read a thread where a guy was cooking his live rock that was covered in polyps and breathed in the fumes that were coming off, he now suffers from a serious asthma condition. paly toxins are no joke
 
Top