i can OFFICALLY joing your ranks on saturday!!

Lunchbucket

Premium Member
just ordered my 1st clam today!! i decided that i NEEDED one BAD

ordered this guy from reefermadness
not exactly the one i wanted but i thought it looked VERY unique...pretty wierd colors if you ask me...maybe not to you guys

so i am going to set it on the sand bed in my lower right hand corner. i have a 400w MH on my 20H tank and it is growing SPS VERY well. i will ahve to up my ca reactor when i starts growing i am sure but how would you suggest acclimating it to the lighting? would i need to do the screening method? i am assuming they keep them under 400w MH's too but didn't see it on thier site.

how much light should i give him the 1st day?

i also am thinking of putting a PVC ring underneath it...what size should i use? i have 1 1/4" laying around..i figured a 2" tall piece pushed into the sand a ways would be ok.

do i put rubble in there for it to attach to?

any other words of the wise you should give me?

thanks
Lunchbucket

oh don't worry i will take PLENTY of pics!!!

should i use a pvc ring or an endcap so it can attach to that. rubble beneath it? i just want to move it as LITTLE as possible when it gets in there.

anyone comment on my ?'s in this post and the one above please

Lunchbucket

A pvc ring is ok, but with Maxima's and Crocea's they like to attach.

So a piece of flat acrylic (or rock) under the sand for him to attach to would be good.

I wood put him on the bottom in the sand, and off center of one of your halides. Let him there for a week, and then you can slowly start to move him to his final position.

If you use a pvc ring, it may grab hold, and then if you want him to move, you will need to sever the byssal threads and stress the animal further.

Best of luck, Rob

Last edited:
i could EASILY do a small piece of acrylic slightly burried under the sand. i have a LOT of scraps laying around.

i hear you out...if i use a pvc ring couldn't you just move the ring w/ them?

i will use acyrlic or a rock though...i will listen to the people that have them.

everyone think it looks good or healthy??? this is my first so i want a good one!

Lunchbucket

Last edited:
Wow, I would have to say I am impressed with Rob from eastcoastclams. He is offering advice for another vendor's sale.
That is good customer service.

lunchBucket, I hope the clam does well for you.

Chich

chich said:
Wow, I would have to say I am impressed with Rob from eastcoastclams. He is offering advice for another vendor's sale.
That is good customer service.

lunchBucket, I hope the clam does well for you.

Chich

Thanks!! Believe me I only want everyone to be happy with their clams wether they buy it from me or not.

Rob

hmm, anyone look at the pic? does it look light in the middle to you? think that looks bleached? i just noticed this...anyone?

Lunchbucket

Was that the actual clam U will be getting? Looks beautiful. I didn't see any lack of pigmentation that would indicate bleaching in the picture, BTW.

that SHOULD be the clam i am getting...reefermadness posts pics of your exact clam.

so the middle by the syphon doesn't look a little bleached or white to you?? maybe my immagination but looks pretty light now that i look at it again. ALL the other max. i have looked at on sites or pics here are colored all the way through and are not white like this.

Lunchbucket

no its not bleached. some clams for some reason come that way. with little color in the middle. very nice clam by the way. keep us posrted on how it does. also coo doos to rob from east coast clams. very good customer relations.
:thumbsup:

:beer:

hmm, i thought it MIGHT look bleahed somewhat...guess maybe not. anyone else have a comment? or any pics of clams w/ little color in the middle??

Lunchbucket

I would shy away from using the acryllic unless you don't mind the look of it. The reason I say this is because max and crocea's are typically on rock. Croceas are often referred to as boring clams because they bore themselves a hole into rock. I would acclimate as suggested on the sand as suggested, and as it becomes more accustomed to your lighting, move it up on the rock work. A flat piece of acryllic might look odd up on your rockwork. Just my thoughts. HTH

i am leaving it on my sandbed...there is NO room on my rockwork for a clam...and i like the look of them better when they are on the sand, thanks though

Lunchbucket

i talked to them and it IS attached to a small piece of LR so i don't have to worry about that.

will be here sat...i CAN"T WAIT!!
Lunchbucket

Did you purchase that clam Lunch. I am sorry I didn't see this thread Earlier. I wouldn't recommend you purchase that particular clam due to the bleached center. It might be ready to die. Hopefully I am wrong and if you already purchased it, it will do well for you. Please update us.

clam

clam

Lunch, I purchased the clam right next to yours from reefermadness. It was incredable and look just like the picture. It was also larger than the 3'.

Hope you like yours are well as I like mine.

P.S. I went to the Snoop Dog concert last night and it too was reefermadness.

Project reef...yep i bought it....most people seemed to think i looked ok...i thought it MIGHT be bleached a little as did one other. i talked to Chris from reefermadness (great guy), he answered ALL my ?'s. he has had that clam since the beginning of may if not earlier and said it has been doing good for the last 1.5months...so i don't think it is ready to die but i am not sure...if it survived 1.5months i think it should be ok...also he said it has colored up some more also. seems like most people that have had bleached clams loose them in 2wks tops. right?

Lazyreefer you mean this one? was yours bleached at all...that one looked a little light in the center also

well this one says 4" so i hope it isn't TOO big...don't ahve a TON of room and i would like to fit another one in there too sometime soon ;)

snoop dogg was the man back in the day but i don't like much of his new stuff but would still be fun to go.

Lunchbucket

Back