I expect 100% loss by the time I wake up!!!

pbetito

I have been fighting with my tank for the last 3 months and have been losing badly. In that time I have dialed in everyone of my levels, got the temp to vary only 3 degrees, and gone over everything else imaginable. Now I found out why I can't win:

While attempting tonight to clean any left over detritus that may have accumulated in my massive overflow I found the cause. A metal paint scraper that was rusted so bad the entire 2 ft area of my overflow was layered in rust. I siphoned everything I could out but a ton of it got in my system (well I am sure it already had anyways) When I was done I turned on a few seios to blow it clean. I can only imagine the abuse my corals are in for now?

Anyone have any insight or ideas...other than hit the front with a baseball bat which is what I am doing my best to refrain from atm.

I can't even believe this is really happening!!!!!!:mad2: +

A large WC, some Carbon and some heavy skimming will work wonders...........

I don't think that its time to hang it up yet......however that points out to clean your overflows......I have noticed that despite our massive flows, the overflows are a dead zone and most will fall out of suspension there....never making it to the filter sock or skimmers, giving us odd nitrate readings and other "old tank syndrome" problems

I have thought often of putting a little rio or something in mine....but never glued mine and pull my durso out every now and then the rinse it down to the sump.

You may want to isolate that junk in your sump Paul, and not let it return back to the display limiting the circulation......

Last edited:
I am laid off again Paul, am on a Vampire schedule, and have 12 5gal jugs I can start filling if you need RO/DI?

LMK

I'm on the bay bridge and can stop by at 1:30 and pick up Frags of anything you want to protect. They'd go in my stable SPS tank with 60 other SPS pieces that are doing well. You can pick them up when you have everything sorted out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14835635#post14835635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
I am laid off again Paul, am on a Vampire schedule, and have 12 5gal jugs I can start filling if you need RO/DI?

LMK

Thanks buddy. I actually used all my WC water to do a fifty gallon holding tank and house my favorites. I am just going to have to wait and see I guess. I did just add about a pound of new carbon though to the tank. You rock for offering though.

paul, your tank should be fine. like others have suggested a large water change wouldn't hurt, some fresh carbon and polyfilter would help. i've got a couple polyfilters you can have.

Rust? Don't people pay to put that stuff in their tank? If corals aren't already closed up and stuff isn't slime'n over, you should be alright. Might want to try a copper test though, and there's that dechlorinator that binds heavy metals (I know anemones dont' like that stuff though).

Update: Damages have been kept just to my sps. I have 2 colors only left... Brown and white.. It seems to have crushed the monti's hardest???? Also some colonies have different branches that are bleaching but not the corals as a whole. Should I cut them or am I going to make it worse through micro managing?

I also just added polyfilters (thanks for the tip guys) I am doing a 100 gallon water change today. Whats really weird looking is the skimate. It just comes out rusty orange and has filled the cup twice.

More updates to come:

I also wanted to thank Pete, Ron & Diana, and Doug. Friends who offer to come help post midnight are truly amazing. If any of you ever need help, call me even if it is 4 a.m.!!!

I am going out to get a copper test kit so I can start my plan of attack.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14837636#post14837636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xia
Rust? Don't people pay to put that stuff in their tank? If corals aren't already closed up and stuff isn't slime'n over, you should be alright. Might want to try a copper test though, and there's that dechlorinator that binds heavy metals (I know anemones dont' like that stuff though).

My anemone looks like hell anyways. I am going to remove it. Will dechlor help reove metals? If so I will try it.

Yes, but can't GFO do a number on your tank if not controlled properly.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Paul. Keep fighting the good fight and good luck!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838676#post14838676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brian Prestwood
Hey Paul

I guess that explains a few things. Any idea how long you've been dosing extra iron :D ?

I used the scraper to clean algae off the glass right before halloween. Thats the last time I remember seeing it. The good news is no harmful amounts of copper are in the water. I am starting to think that the vast majority of what I lost was due to the shock of moving my corals so quickly. I just cant explain what its like to have bright orange water shooting through the tank right past your favorite pieces.I just reached into the bottom of the overflow and by the time I realized what I was grabbing the tank looked like someone dumped a load of tang (the beverage not the fish :) )into it. I am refalling in love with my skimmer however as it keeps loading up with tang to be dumped.

Back