I need a "majano anemone" eater

I have a horrible Majano plaque in my 125. There must be 200 in there, no joke. Reading through these threads on Majano's I was considering getting a Bicolor. I was also considering getting some hydrochloric acid. Another consideration was to get some White vinegar. Since today is memorial day and I had nothing exciting to do I went to the grocery store (since it was the only thing open) and got some $.79 White vinegar. I got home and filled the syringe. I did one round and came back for another. Not even five minutes later the majanos were falling out of their holes with the aid of a fingernail file. They were easily removed and looked pretty dead to me. I just wanted to share with you all this experience and let you all know that it DOES appear to work. If you do a search through RC you will find more people have done the same. HTH & Good Luck!!!!:blown: :thumbsup:

First of all, any fish or invertebrate that eats majano anemones is also going to harass desirable corals, clams, etc. Period.

Having said that, the most reliable majano-eater than I've seen is the butterflyfish, Chaetodon ulietensis.

Greg

I'm adding a juvenile ulietensis tonight. I'm mostly acros, no clams, but do have cynarinas and ricordias.
I figure if I'm gonna lose my corals either way, I might as well risk it.
Will keep you posted.

Im gettin my BiColor tomorrow and ill also keep ya all posted on the result........ I have the same thoughts about these anemone eating fish - i dont care if its the majano anemones or a fish that eats up everything in my tank........ So its for me worth to trye

Brian Slot said:
Im gettin my BiColor tomorrow and ill also keep ya all posted on the result........ I have the same thoughts about these anemone eating fish - i dont care if its the majano anemones or a fish that eats up everything in my tank........ So its for me worth to trye

A couple of words on bicolor angelfish: Very few adapt well to captivity. I'd be sure to see it eating VIGOROUSLY before purchasing this fish. I have a bicolor in a 40 gallon hex reef aquarium. It picks at EVERYTHING, EXCEPT the one majano anemone in the tank. I've left the anemone in there just to see if the bicolor would eat it. Bicolor angels are pretty nasty fish. They'll harass just about any fish that's placed in the aquarium after them, especially other Centropyge species angels! Lastly, they're tough to catch in a reef aquarium.

I recommend AGAINST purchasing this fish for majano anemone control, especially since there are better alternatives in fish for this purpose.

Greg

Okay, had the bi-color in a tank infested majano by itself, along with xenia, toadstool and mushrooms. It's been 2 weeks and nada. All majano still accounted for. The bi-color angel is eating the algae and frozen brine.

Greg, what other better alternatives are there? I've tried calc paste, hot water injection, and strontium injection. And they just pop back. The best solution I have is to remove the rock and do a fresh water dip, then scrub, the recure. Not a good solution, but 100% full proof.

I'm thinking about getting a Racoon Butterfly.

reefcam said:
Okay, had the bi-color in a tank infested majano by itself, along with xenia, toadstool and mushrooms. It's been 2 weeks and nada. All majano still accounted for. The bi-color angel is eating the algae and frozen brine.

Greg, what other better alternatives are there? I've tried calc paste, hot water injection, and strontium injection. And they just pop back. The best solution I have is to remove the rock and do a fresh water dip, then scrub, the recure. Not a good solution, but 100% full proof.

I'm thinking about getting a Racoon Butterfly.

As I metioned earlier in the thread, the butterflyfish, Chaetodon ulietensis, is almost guaranteed to eat majano anemones. Some other butterflies will eat them as well, but none are really reef-safe. The best chemical control is to inject them with muriatic acid. If it doesn't obliterate them immediately, they usually fall off the rock and are easy to siphon out. Be careful with this acid! Check your alkalinity before using it and your pH while using it.

Greg

Arggggg ........:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It was me how startet this thread - and i most say that there has been a lot of nice replys.... I guess that i had hoped for something like 20 replys which all had the same answer - "Like buy this fish....and so on"

But now when im 24 hours away from bying a Bicolor im gettin cold feet. Some of the replys on this subject are about how well every thing turn out so good whit a biColor - and some are on how i didnt do the job at all !!!

I live in Denmark at a place where i cant just go down the road and buy any fish i want. Theres no way to buy over the internet and get it by mail to my doorstep...... There for i have to be sure on this subject before i do something insane. I have had my tank for 3 month only and im therefore all new on all this !!

You can see some pics from my tank here : http://home1.stofanet.dk/brianslot/Pix/index.html

All the pics a new and the only thing that i dont have any more are the Sea Urchin which there are some pics of......

Please do so and comment on how my tank would do whit a BiColor.

Thanks

Please

Brian, if I were in your shoes, I would try the muratic acid suggestion above before buying a fish.

I have maybe 100 anemones - on the rocks - under the rocks - on the pipe work - on the glass.......... Trust me i will never get rid of them whit a needle whit something in it......... That would be a major work and there would defently be som left.......

JasonE said:
I'm adding a juvenile ulietensis tonight. I'm mostly acros, no clams, but do have cynarinas and ricordias.
I figure if I'm gonna lose my corals either way, I might as well risk it.
Will keep you posted.
So how's it going?

I too had/have a major majano problem.

I had a Raccoon Butterfly Chaetodon lunula who within seconds of introducing into my tank was attacking them with gusto. I left him in the 90 with SPS & soft corals for several months with no signs of it picking on anything other than the majanos. I then moved him into my 180 display, this system has SPS, clams & LPS corals. It was never seen bothering anything other than the majanos.

Problem is it ate 90% of the anemone, so when he was removed from the system they just grew back. Although it appeared he was eating frozen foods, he disappeared one weekend
while I was out of town.

I tried muriatic acid once, pulled a rock and blasted a bunch of them, rinsed and replaced in the tank, only to find them still thriving the next day.

So I now have 3 tanks containing thousands of the buggers, and I will try another raccoon, but I've read many more reports of raccoons not working than successful reports.

center.jpg

Happy Reefing
Glenn R

well, it's been 24 hrs (give me chance already, Michael!!)
On introduction he took a taste of nearly every coral, polyps especially, but he is taking a liking to the majanos too. Too early to tell what the damage will be...One thing for sure, I'm not getting this guy out easily

I were supposed to get my BiColor yesterday - Guess what...... i didnt get it...... The LFS hat told me that they would get some on there next 6000 unit shipment - but all they got where sails, sea stars and so on...only 30 % out of 6000 units where fish.....damn.....

Well, its a little hard to tell.
Majanos are still there, no corals have been destroyed.
I see him pick at this and that, but nothing really voraciously. More like a glancing blow as he swims by.
Rather an anticlimax!

Gary Majchrzak said:
So NOW what's the outcome, Jason? :D :D

Jeez...well I found that the best Majano solution was the black out of two years ago :D I was up your way recently, Gary, stopped by to see Tom's place (which I LOVED).
Get any tilefish yet??

JasonE said:
Jeez...well I found that the best Majano solution was the black out of two years ago :D I was up your way recently, Gary, stopped by to see Tom's place (which I LOVED).
Get any tilefish yet??
OUCH! I'd heard through the grapevine that particular storm hit your aquariums, Jason. Sorry about that.
Tom's place is great- I frequent it on lunch break.
Next time your in town, make sure to contact me in advance and c'mon over.
No Tilefish yet. :D

As an aside, I have a Navarchus Angelfish in my reef aquarium.
It don't know if this one eats Majano because I've never had any Majano.
I DO know that my Navarchus doesn't eat "Tulip" anemones, mini carpet anemones, Aiptasia, curly-Q's or large anemonefish hosting anemones.
It did eat my prized Cynarina.
I found this thread because I'm interested in finding out more info on C. ulietensis in reef aquariums.

Last edited:
Back