I need a "majano anemone" eater

Sorry guys - Kalk is known not to be the best killer of majano. These guys are quite a bit harder to kill than their cousin.

i have a lot of mojono also. trying to get them off the rock is a pain. i started using ( stop aptasia ) it works good for me i have my reef cramed into a 55 gall so i cant reach all of them but the ones i get wither away and usually fall of the rock in a day or two . i would try to get the bigger ones first before they split .

Is it just the Bicolor that will eat Majanos or will other Centropyge angels eat them also ? Sorry to piggy-back.

I can guarantee you Coral Beauties do not. At least I know one that doesn't touch them.

Flame angels don't either. I have a couple. I even Kalk'd them but they still came back. Tough son-of-a-guns.....

The only luck I've had is that they don't spread very quickly in my system.

Tagging along for ideas....

Bicolor Angelfish............. I think that is the solution for this problem.......... I hevent tried my self - but im going to.....

64Ivy said:
Is it just the Bicolor that will eat Majanos or will other Centropyge angels eat them also ? Sorry to piggy-back.

I would like some follow ups on this question too..... Just before i order a Bicolor Angel for my majano pleague.....

64Ivy said:

64 - I've never seen any other Centropyge eat majano. Bi-Color was the only success I've had. Nanook mentioned Raccon's as well, I've never had one so I couldn't comment. There was a thread a very long time ago where it was mentioned that the stomach contents of Bi-Color caught in the Gulf showed high levels of majano. This could explain the poor survival rates of this fish in captivity. You may be faced with long term survival issues once the majano are gone. I gave mine to friend who having the same problem.

It's a stunning fish if healthy...There's absolutely nothing else that really works on majano's. It laughs at Kalk treatments, peppermints won't touch them. The only saving grace, they don't spread as fast aptasia.

This is great new for me, as I had to tear my tank apart to have them come back again. the only question I have, since my tank is heavily stocked with SPS, LPS, mushrooms and zoos. Should I remove some of the mushrooms and zoos or will they be safe until all the Majanos are gone. The only LPS I have are the hammer head corals. Oh, I do have a Yellow Leather too.

Thanks

This past week, I had a loaned raccoon butterfly take out *hundreds* of majanos. He went on a killing spree!! He also tried to eat my GOB (which i built a little cage around out of eggcrate) and my mushrooms (which luckily were growing like weeds anyway, and he just pruned them for me). So, be careful and watch them, but they definitely do the job. Also, he did most of his anemone eating at night, mainly picked at teh GOB/mushrooms during day, dont know why...

I also had the plague.....they multiplied faster than rabbits.I tried quite a few things to no avail.i then had the pleasure of meeting Charles Delbeek and asked him for advise,which I took.Raccoon Butterfly.Purchased one and within a week I was rid of the pests and have not seen any since
:D

can someone post of pic of aipastia I think I might have some.. They look like Ricordia mushrooms with a red base and a clear cap with little white balls there is probally about 10 that i see but they are very small still.. I don't know what they are I didn't even think about it till i started reading this thread and others concerning aipastia Thanks

So just to summit up on all the replys.......... Which fish would people go for if they should wipe out majanos :

1) Bicolor Angel fish
2) Racoon Butterfly fish

Please reply - cause right now i dont now which of these to purchase.....

I've had success with Bi-Color Angel, so guess I could be biased. However, there are cons with each fish.

Bi-Color
  1. It's really hard to find a healthy specimen
  2. They may need special diet requirements, i.e. majano
  3. Really prone to ich, prolly related to diet and/or stress
    [/list=1]

Raccoon
    1. Can be very aggressive
    2. May present issues with soft corals
      [/list=1]

Hope this helps...

They both work, I would go with the least destructive of the two, ie the Bicolor Angelfish. I got mine from Quality Marine due to their great reputation for healthy fish. I also have the Racoon in the tank....they both eat them, the Bicolor is smaller and prettier...plus the least destructive of the two fish, IMO.

Nanook

Back