I need a "majano anemone" eater

Decided to take rock out of tank and move to a bucket of saltwater.

Placed in a boiling bucket of water for 10 mins and then moved to a bucket of RO water and now sitting in my shed in saltwater. Did this in the garden as I have read threads where rock give off a toxin and can be poisonous.

Will put back into tank tomorrow, hope rock hasn't died as might trigger a mini cycle.

I have put rock back into tank and taken dead bits off so trying to avoid a mini cycle.

Despite boiling for 10 mins algae seems to have increased and is alive.

Will check tonight to ensure all is well

It is not the algae that someone pointed out in dying. It is the important bacteria that makes the rock "live" is what he was referring to.

The chemical used for the Majano removal

The chemical I used to remove the Majano anemones was calcium hydroxide. It is commonly referred to as Kalk wasser, Kalk, and Pickling Lime. I bought my calcium hydroxide as Pickling lime in the canning section of the grocery store for about $5.

Other items that you will need to perform this process of anemone removal is a small bowl or container that you will use for mixing and an applicator to apply the paste. The applicator I used was a pipette but anything like a syringe or turkey baster will work.

The process of Majano removal with calcium hydroxide

First - Get the aquarium ready by turning off the power heads and pumps. It is much easier to apply the paste in an aquarium with no current. You also reduce the risk of harming anything other than the majanos.

Second - Mix the Calcium Hydroxide powder with just enough water to make a thick paste like the consistency of toothpaste but just a little thinner.

Third "“ Apply the paste over the whole majano using your applicator.

Fourth "“ Turn the power-heads and pumps back on after approximately 30 minutes. Watch to make sure that none of the paste lands on any corals and if it does blow it off quickly so they are not harmed.

Important: Concentrated Calcium Hydroxide is a medium strength base and will kill or severely injury anything it is applied to. Also, attempting to apply this solution to too many majanos at once may have a negative affect on the pH and alkalinity within your reef tank and the paste will be harder to control when the pumps are turned back on.

Remember that waiting to remove a majano anemone will just make the problem worse in the future and in some aquarium very quickly.

Very interested to hear if your filefish solves the problem

So it's day 5 with the matted filefish and one of the mojanos is gone. couple of aiptasias are also gone. there maybe some damage to my green polyp star but I don't know for sure if he caused it.

The chemical used for the Majano removal

The chemical I used to remove the Majano anemones was calcium hydroxide. It is commonly referred to as Kalk wasser, Kalk, and Pickling Lime. I bought my calcium hydroxide as Pickling lime in the canning section of the grocery store for about $5.

Other items that you will need to perform this process of anemone removal is a small bowl or container that you will use for mixing and an applicator to apply the paste. The applicator I used was a pipette but anything like a syringe or turkey baster will work.

Important: Concentrated Calcium Hydroxide is a medium strength base and will kill or severely injury anything it is applied to. Also, attempting to apply this solution to too many majanos at once may have a negative affect on the pH and alkalinity within your reef tank and the paste will be harder to control when the pumps are turned back on.

I would NOT recommend a turkey baster to apply the kalk paste. You're trying to use just enough to kill the nem, either by injecting it or smothering it. Using a turkey baster could potentially do more damage than had you left the nem alone in the first place.

One of the best things I've used in the past is pickling crisp (Calcium Chloride), not pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide).

You can mix the chloride with water in a very concentrated amount and it will dissolve in the water, and if I remember correctly, it gets really warm / hot.

Turn off all the pumps and let the water settle, then use a syringe to gently drizzle the solution over the aiptasia. You will see it in the water like fresh water being added to that spot. A concentrated gentle drizzling instantly causes the tentacles to recede and it appears to make them hard or stiff and they can't retract into their spot. At that point, I used to inject them and fill them with the stuff and they almost explode never to be seen again.

So before in this thread I had mentioned that my filefish had been eating aiptaisa and mojana too. In 1 month, all the aiptaisa and mojano have been cleaned up. Since I dont feed the filefish (it showed no interested in pellet food) it has now started to chump on the zoa's. Honestly I would rather have the filefish over the zoas :)

Another problem is that the filefish has been eating the smaller buds coming out of my hammers.

I pulled an acro colony out of my 465 a few days ago, and there were probably 10 mojanos under it, where they were pretty inaccessible. The second I pulled the colony, my Blue Line Angel swam in and started nipping on them like he was starving, and he is a fatty.

I used a concentrated sodium hydroxide on them and it destroyed them, but the Blue Line is prolly why I don't have any where he can reach in the tank.

One of the best things I've used in the past is pickling crisp (Calcium Chloride), not pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide).

You can mix the chloride with water in a very concentrated amount and it will dissolve in the water, and if I remember correctly, it gets really warm / hot.

Turn off all the pumps and let the water settle, then use a syringe to gently drizzle the solution over the aiptasia. You will see it in the water like fresh water being added to that spot. A concentrated gentle drizzling instantly causes the tentacles to recede and it appears to make them hard or stiff and they can't retract into their spot. At that point, I used to inject them and fill them with the stuff and they almost explode never to be seen again.

anyone else have experience with CaCl or hydrogen peroxide?

i have a Kleins butterfly and Copperband that i have had for years. they have eaten all the aiptasia but not the Mojanos. a few months ago i got another small butterfly said to eat them. it does but my problem has only gotten worse. i think the fish may be pooping out frags of them that can then find new places in the tank to grow. they have overtaken several of the corals.

they have gotten worse since these photos were taken.

I have used JOE'S JUICE for years. It comes with a syringe and just a dab will do. Doesn't harm corals or any prep. Gets em deep in cracks and holes. I see it was mentioned in one post but not discussed. It simple easy and cheap.
Richard.

I have used JOE'S JUICE for years. It comes with a syringe and just a dab will do. Doesn't harm corals or any prep. Gets em deep in cracks and holes. I see it was mentioned in one post but not discussed. It simple easy and cheap.
Richard.

Right, doing it for years. That's why it pays to get a Majano eating fish. I got my Matted Filefish and haven't given Majanos a second thought since. Never see them.

Probably a bit of luck involved that it its Majanos but the odds are on your side.

Peppermint shrimp work fine for smaller aiptasias...the bigger ones are going to need to be kalked by you or eaten by an aiptasia eater. I bought my CBB initially for Aiptasia that were out of control....now they are gone and kept in check in the main tank...that fish is really cool! The Raccoon is a cool fish too...just not reefsafe from many reefer's experience. The size of your tank has to factor into this equation as well....both of these fish can grow pretty large.

Nanook

Man, I wold love to have a CBB. My favorite fish beyond a doubt. I even have some aiptasias in my 180, which I'm viewing as an open invitation to add one. But the last 3 times I tried, they refused ALL food (live baby brine shrimp, live blackworms, four different types of FF, including LRF, mysis shrimp, Rod's), as well as assortment of dry foods. They just disappeared within a few weeks. I'm going to do a round of the LFSs in my area looking for one that will eat in the LFS tank.

Mike

Back