I need a "majano anemone" eater

Dk Coral

Hi there.....

My tank is being plagued by majano anemones. They are every where, even places where i cant reach. I know that i could take up all my live rock and try to remove them manualy - but this would just be such a major job for me.....
Many of them are in such little holes in the rocks that i couldnt be sure of which or which not i have removed them entirely if i hat done it by hand....

So PLEASEEEE tell me that there are some sort of creature out there that will eat this pest anemone !!! I have been told that a Copperband Butterfly maybe could do the job for me but is this true.........

Thanks in advance -
The owner of 50-60 Majano anemones....
Brian - Denmark...

Peppermint shrimp might eat them, but, I have no experience with this, same with camelback shrimp, but camelbacks are definately not reef-safe.

I have tens of THOUSANDS of them. I have a Raccoon Butterflyfish and Bicolor Angelfish that are going to town on these evil spawns. Both of these fish are really NOT reef safe though...they might eat corals, nip at clams, etc...but they are BOTH eating the majanos.

Nanook:hammer: :hammer:

Nanook said:
I have tens of THOUSANDS of them. I have a Raccoon Butterflyfish and Bicolor Angelfish that are going to town on these evil spawns. Both of these fish are really NOT reef safe though...they might eat corals, nip at clams, etc...but they are BOTH eating the majanos.

Nanook:hammer: :hammer:

THANKS THANKS AND THANKS........... Just what i needed to hear.......... Copperband Butterfly here i come.......
Hope that is just as hungry as your Racoon and Bicolor... :-D

Uh, I have a Copperband Butterflyfish in the tank as well. It has been with me for some time now, unfortunately, that fish does NOT eat the anemone majanos. I would recommend a Copperband Butterflyfish for Aiptasia...but not majanos.

Nanook

Hmmmm crap.......... I also have aipastia - a lot - but not as much as majanos...........

I really dont now what to do............

Peppermint shrimp work fine for smaller aiptasias...the bigger ones are going to need to be kalked by you or eaten by an aiptasia eater. I bought my CBB initially for Aiptasia that were out of control....now they are gone and kept in check in the main tank...that fish is really cool! The Raccoon is a cool fish too...just not reefsafe from many reefer's experience. The size of your tank has to factor into this equation as well....both of these fish can grow pretty large.

Nanook

I only have a 470 Liter tank.......... Right now its stockt whit 1 purple tang - 2 clowns - a yellow watchman goby and a green chromis......

So maybe the best thing to do would be adding some shrimps for the aipastia and a bicolor or Racoon for the majanos..... Which would you recomment of these 2........

I dont have a lot of corals - se my tank here http://www.saftkongen.dk/reef.jpg

I'd go with the Bi-Color Angel not the Raccoon. Bi-Color worked better for me in the past. Secondly, majano makes up a large part of the Bi-Color natural diet.

Well, if you can get a healthy Bicolor Angel, that would fit better in your tank and be less likely to damage your soft corals in the future. The trick is to get a healthy one, then the other concern is that they may be obligate feeders on anemone majanos...what if you run out? Will it eat other foods and stay healthy. FWIW, my Bicolor is eating mysis and Prime Reef at present and eats the majanos. It is kind of a crapshoot IMO. If it was me, I would try the Bicolor Angel first, they are stunningly gorgeous fish and stay small. Raccoons are just too darn ornery.

BTW, nice tank you have there!! Those are some large soft corals.

Nanook

So this should help me out :

1x Bicolor for its stunning beaty and its ability to eat the majanos
2-3x Pepperminth shrimp for the aiptasia

Thanks all..... And thanks on the remark on my tank:rollface:

chocolate chips anyone?

chocolate chips anyone?

Hi all,

Bryan,
IME...the best eater of the mojanos that I've ever seen is the chocolate chip starfish. I had one of these in a 30g. with about 75 of these buggers and they were all gone within a month. I didn't have any corals at the time, so i don't know the risk to them. It seemed to me that the choco's would sit right on top of the mojano and expel their stomach over the anemone and digest it. Maybe they only eat things smaller than themselves? If you're ready to try an angel, perhaps you should try this route first and see what happens.

HTH!!

Hmmm thanks but no thanks..... ;) This cute-looking little starfish is nonetheless rarely considered reef safe. Best left in a tank without corals, it is otherwise peaceful towards fish and invert tankmates.......
I think that the Angelfish would do best in my tank....

it is otherwise peaceful towards fish and invert tankmates.......

I wouldn't even say that. I've had one kill a pair of false clowns. I didn't believe it until I saw it trying to get the replacements. It was laying upside down stretching out it's tentacles and waving them around while the clown was settling in as if it were an anemone. :eek1:

I have had great success with Red Sea Butterfly Racoons. Although not reef safe, they made quick work of my problem.

-Perry

So to make some sort of conclusion on the topic :

The best way to get rid of these majano anemones when you have to many to take out by hand is :

Racoon Butterfly fish or Bicolor Angel fish

Am i correct.......... I guess i just have to test one of these then !!! Even do i would love to have one of these beautiful fish in my tank - i am still affraid of the fact that these fish aint quite reef safe... But then again i havent got that many corals - so now is a good time to try......

Back