I never paid $600 for these

Yes, but pictures can be veyr misleading. I have pink zoas that come out brown with my camera. You really can't say unless you've seen them in person. In that pic, they look extremelybrown, but in person, they are more orange, but they don't have the blue around the mouth. What would you ID them as then?

The pics of the guy who was selling 2 polyps of envy oranges for $650 were brown, and he had several clear pics. He bought the one that was sold from the website-supposedly for $600. The website selling for $600 per polyp, it was a little more orange, kind of rust orange. They could be RPE that became brown in someone elses tank. This naming and the first one to buy one has gotten stupid. It reminds me of the Beanie Baby-plush toy bears and animals 6 or 7 years ago that went nuts. The dealers would get a new animal every month and they would pay $2.50 per toy. The dealer would sell them for $5 or $6 and some unscrupluless person would buy a bunch or all and sell them to people who thought they were worth a fortune for $12 to $200 each. Now they are not worth anything. Well the new zoas will be old zoas next year. Everyone will have some of these. They will probably be just like any other zoa and sell for $15 to $30 for a small colony at the LFS. The guy selling 1 polyp for $600 is nuts, but someone bought it. So I guess he's nuts. He also stated he's getting out of the hobby.. I would too if I bought 4 zoanthids for $700. You could buy a great aquarium full of fantastic corals and zoas for that kind of money. On another note the pics that were shown of the small colonies sure loked more orange than either of the supposed real EOs.

I have seen the original colony of envy ornages, and they are MUCH oranger than the pics on this thread. I saw the pics of the envy oranges that sold on reefcentral. They were the real deal.

Ok, I love Zoos as much as the next person but why argue over it? The price of those are just plain crazy. So, what I'm getting from this thread is that the real Orange PPE's are worth $600 and Brock's are worth nothing? Just because they are a little more brown???? Who sets these prices anyways? Has this been going on for a long time? I just got started into Reef keeping and hate the idea that I have to give up a whole paycheck just because someone thinks that it is rare. I'll bet there is somebody in Flordia with two thousand of these things laughing his butt off. Anyhow, Brock nice Zoos! Until you can get some better pics, I wouldn't worry about what they are. As long as you like them, then they are a great buy. Although if some one offers you $600 per polyp then you get to be the guy laughing your butt off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124608#post8124608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bower23
So, what I'm getting from this thread is that the real Orange PPE's are worth $600 and Brock's are worth nothing? Just because they are a little more brown????

Who said this? Brock's zoos are very nice, but not envy oranges. We aren't talking prices here, we are talking a particular strain of coral.

No you are not talking about a particular strain of coral.. there is no way of knowing exactly where Brock's zoos came from.. unless you are CSI, the only way to guess if they are the real deal is by color. I mean that is how you are coming up with the guess that they are not the real deal. Is it not? And if we are not talking about prices then why is this "$600" in the thread heading? I'm not trying to **** anyone off, I'm just saying that without knowing exactly where these came from and without a side by side comparison of color, there is no way anyone can say they are or aren't the real deal. And this is exactly why charging $600 for a single polyp is stupid. I mean I'm only charging $550 for the original "Cotton Candy Zoos"...... small print='that you can get at fragglereef.com for $19.99' I just think this whole pricing war is going to ruin the hobby. My 2 cents.

Bower23, a guy on a website put a name on a zoa and put a $600 price per polyp and put 2 for sale. Someone bought one. It is a envy orange as it was the only one sold, and according to folks that worry about that, no-one else has one. Even if it is the same color or close to it, it couldnt be the same strain-according to some folks, since it wasnt bought from the envy guy. Its almost like dog breeding pedigrees. But it really doesnt matter. I feel if you like whats in your tank and dont really care what names are on each thing, thats great. Have more fun without worrying about who sold this, what this zoas name is, how much this is worth, I have the only one etc. Something is worth only what someone will pay for it. Just because 1 person paid $600 for 1 polyp, doesnt mean that they are worth any more than green or blue or brown zoas. Zoas can change colors some in different tanks. Especially if they are wild collected and put in a tank.

Stevemc, I knew most of the story and I agree with you. I think those zoos are nice but I wouldn't pay any more than what I paid for my Cotton Candy's. That's just me and I'm sure someone would pay a lot more. I just think that there is no way those are the only two in existence. Just because some guy says they are doesn't mean that there isn't hundreds of them in some guys tank that could care less. Anymore, the term Rare just means that the vendors are currently low on them. I'll just wait a year until the price goes back down to $19.99. Ha Ha. Anyhow, I'll leave this thread to those who want to argue over nothing. I have 'One of a Kind' Bowling Ball Zoos to frag. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124793#post8124793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bower23
No you are not talking about a particular strain of coral.. there is no way of knowing exactly where Brock's zoos came from.. unless you are CSI, the only way to guess if they are the real deal is by color. I mean that is how you are coming up with the guess that they are not the real deal. Is it not? And if we are not talking about prices then why is this "$600" in the thread heading? I'm not trying to **** anyone off, I'm just saying that without knowing exactly where these came from and without a side by side comparison of color, there is no way anyone can say they are or aren't the real deal. And this is exactly why charging $600 for a single polyp is stupid. I mean I'm only charging $550 for the original "Cotton Candy Zoos"...... small print='that you can get at fragglereef.com for $19.99' I just think this whole pricing war is going to ruin the hobby. My 2 cents.

I am using "strain" to mean color. None of the zoos posted come close to the same color as the envy oranges. If there were any pictures that might be envy oranges that would be different, but there are not in this thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8125102#post8125102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bower23
Ha Ha. Anyhow, I'll leave this thread to those who want to argue over nothing.

Good idea! I should have never said anything to begin with. This is a can't win battle.

Naming zoas was meant for fun and quick identification, but has turned into something else.
This phase will pass and come back and pass and come back and ...

Only the impulsive will buy zoas for $600 a polyp. You don't have to be rich to have $600.

You have every right to offer your opinion, that is why we are all here. I just thought there was only two of these and that is why they are so rare. You said that you seen the original colony and was basing your opinion on that. If you seen a whole 'colony' and there are only two that exist.... then are you sure that you know what they look like? I'm not being smart... just asking. And I was just trying to make the point that the whole pricing is getting out of hand. With a couple jokes in there... I thought they were funny.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8125312#post8125312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bower23
You have every right to offer your opinion, that is why we are all here. I just thought there was only two of these and that is why they are so rare. You said that you seen the original colony and was basing your opinion on that. If you seen a whole 'colony' and there are only two that exist.... then are you sure that you know what they look like? I'm not being smart... just asking. And I was just trying to make the point that the whole pricing is getting out of hand. With a couple jokes in there... I thought they were funny.

I believe there were 2 polyps for sale. More than that exist from the original colony.

The funniest thing about envy orange to me is they advertise them not growing as a selling point. You to can pay obsecene amounts of money for a paly and have one polyp forever. Sign me up! :lol:

here are some i got in a trade about a month ago. top of pic, two polyps, very orange imo. the true rpe's are to the right of them, along with a few prpe's in front and another rpe on the left, along with some pink pe's in the front that are hard to see

P9112817.jpg

another angle
P9112816.jpg

I'm no OE expert and never seen them in person, and for the price never will, but I believe I have some of what Reef Runt has.

reef5.jpg

This photo is of when I got them, for around $20 for the colony. They are very orange under my stock aquapod lighting, but under other light become the infamous DDB PE. If orange envys are even close, I would be very disappointed. They don't have the central dark spot around the mouth like RPE and grow about the same speed as PPE.

Jon

Back