Ich, brook, or something else?

cfd3lsd

I have a Amphiprion frenatus - Tomato Clownfish that is a recent purchase.

First Day:
When I first placed him in the tank on Friday he had no white growths on him. However, within 5 hours he develepoed a white spot on his tail fin.

Second Day:
This spot was not a perfect dot but was more irregular in shape. By the next morning it was gone.
After several hours, 3-4 white spots appeared on his tail fin and front fins. Throughout the day, some of the spots vanished.

Third Day:
By morning, the remaing had dissapeared. Just like the days before, more developed (one on his body that stayed only for 3 hours).

This Morning (before leaving for work):
No white spots on the fish.

Purchased the fish at lfs, after watching him for two weeks. Always appeared healthy and happy.
The fish is swiming well, eating, and is breathing fine. He has been staying close and occasionly brushing up against a large frogspawn and torch coral.

I have been researching on this site and it doesn't seem to match syptoms of ich, maybe early stages of brook?

Any thoughts?

Sounds like lymph to me ... I believe its spelled lymphosystis if you want to do a search on it. Not going to hurt the fish unless it covers the mouth or gills & as you see falls off on its own with good diet and water quality.

So lymphosystis can appear and disappear in the same day? These spots appear to be on the surface. Would a UV sterilizer help?

A picture would help.

Lympho doesn't come and go like the spots your describing ... think its safe to rule that out. Also brooklynella does not have anything to do with small white spots which come and go.

Small white granule looking spots which come and go are typically ich ... usually looks like small grains of sand/salt. If this is ich then the two most effective methods of treatment are hyposalinity and copper .. both require use of a QT. Heres a link.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Hope this helps.

Update, I was unable to get a clear pic with my Canon S50 5 mega pixel. However, on the 30th only one spot appeared and it doesn't look like ich, too large and not sand like. Yesterday, no spots appeared.
I think it may have been a syptom of stress.

Back