IM 10 NANO ISSUES NEW TANK

reefer51

I just got back into the hobby after 15 or so years and I've started a nano tank I have an IM all in one 10 gallon I was running a Fluval skimmer and a Fluval Reef light I am all water parameters seem to be normal although I can only test for nitrates nitrates pH ammonia and salinity but I have a piece of coral that's bleaching after testing I found I have a pH of 8.5 or possibly greater everything else seems to be within acceptable limits but the tank is only two weeks old I started with some live rock out of another tank and some rag alive I also purchase seawater from the store

Attachments

• 20230624_232146.jpg
    20230624_232146.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Did you test the salinity? I understand it came from the store, but mistakes happen. Also, what light and flow was the coral used to before? Bleaching could be a sign of too much light if it wasn't acclimated properly. Take a sample of water and have it tested just to make sure it has cycled properly and everything is in order. Dim the lights a bit and see if that helps with changing the flow.

Also a lot of actual bleaching is due to temperature. What temp is the tank?

Is this encruster the alleged bleacher? Doesn't look bleached to me. I couldn't find anything else that looks like a coral in your image.

coral.png

I just got back into the hobby after 15 or so years and I've started a nano tank I have an IM all in one 10 gallon I was running a Fluval skimmer and a Fluval Reef light I am all water parameters seem to be normal although I can only test for nitrates nitrates pH ammonia and salinity but I have a piece of coral that's bleaching after testing I found I have a pH of 8.5 or possibly greater everything else seems to be within acceptable limits but the tank is only two weeks old I started with some live rock out of another tank and some rag alive I also purchase seawater from the store

What are your parameters?

Also, two weeks old is a very short time to expect good things. Right now, your tank is currently trying to establish its biome, and in turn, it is consuming ammonia and nutrients. This spells disaster for most corals, as the biome is robbing them of the very thing they need to survive.

My advice would be to let it do its thing for the next couple of months and not expect too much out of the young system. If you keep things stable for the next couple of months, and after your algae takes hold, I think you will start to see things turn around.

If your pH is high you may want to look at your alkalinity. I find this is usually the culprit.

I found out my ammonia is spiking it turns out idk what I'm doing.i assumed that because I started with live rock and live sand I wouldn't need to cycle my tank.i know now I was wrong.im freaking out trying to get the amonia down and after 50 % water change it's still high.i hope to get some live nitrifying bacteria and get things moving along but hate needless death.i feel terrible anyway I'm trying to fix things.anyway I also learned I am a newbie again.so thanks everyone for all the help

I lost everything I had so it's a expensive lesson plus I will make sure from now on I do my reasearch and ask before I do any more harm

Sorry to hear about your losses. Slow down, take your time and ask question. We’re here to help. Just remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Sorry about the losses. Definitely slow down. Starting with live rock and live sand will usually shorten the cycle but still got to take it slow to ensure the bacteria can handle to livestock. If you want to boost the bacteria, I’ve heard good things about Fritz Turbo Start or Dr Tim’s

+1 on adding bacteria. Sorry for the issues, but don't beat yourself up. Honestly, we've all been there. Patience and not expecting things to happen quickly in this hobby are what make things work.

There are a lot of bottled bacteria out there, but there is one I will always recommend for cycling. I have set up a couple tanks with dry rock, and the cycle was very quick using Instant Ocean Bio-Spira. It's fairly inexpensive compared to others and available at the big chain pet stores. Grab a bottle and dump it in. Give it a couple weeks, and the Ammonia should be nonexistent.

OK well I'm back for round 2 I have had the amonia spike and 0 now I'm waiting on nitrite to 0.anyway I did take advice and used some fritz 9 I'm hoping things are stable.i had to stop myself from always messing with my tank.i added new corals and 2 new fish.

Back