indoor reef lagoon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14552232#post14552232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pneumatic
I have been tagging along since the beginning on this one. I am curious to see the finished product. It looks like it's going to be awesome looking.

One quick question... Is the floor supported somehow under the tank? It sure is going to be a lot of weight so is there any concern about it sagging?
I took a few precautions there. the floor is 2x10's to start with but I also added 2 6x6's supported by concrete blocks under them. I've filled twice and no sags, bows, creeks or groans so I think I'm good to go.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14553518#post14553518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefeasy
Dude be careful with the eel it will escape!!
The entire top will be covered by pond mesh so no chance of it getting out.

Plumbing is DONE :dance: test filled entire system and ran the pump (quiet one 6000) to see how the flow was, and I have to say it's pretty good. took some pictures of it filled and running.
I'll try to explain how it works. the lagoon drains into the sump through a 1 inch drain through the elbow stand pipe in the lagoon. the return line from pump on the sump is split to run the refuge/frag tank and the excess goes back into the lagoon next to the drain line for the sump. the refuge/frag tank drains into the bottom corner of the lagoon. All plumbing is 1 inch with unions on all parts that will need service and cleaning. the skimmer will go to the far left chamber in the sump and the drain will filter through a sock. the sump (thanks Ron) has baffles and a few smaller compartments that will house a little rubble rock and my carbon and phos. reactors. well here's some pictures.
:beer:
Picture294.jpg

Picture295.jpg

Picture296.jpg

Picture297.jpg

Picture299.jpg

Picture300.jpg

I Drained entire system again after letting run for a couple days.
No leaks, My lighting fixture will be here tomorrow and I'll mount that to the ceiling, then give everything a final cleaning and start to re-fill with RO/DI water for the next 3 or so days. I'm going to fill the system all the way to fire the pumps and heaters so I can mix the salt right in the lagoon. when the transfer time comes I'm just going to drain what I need to out of the lagoon and save it for a water change in a week or two and use the 240+ gallons from the existing tank. I'll post some more pictures after I get the new lighting mounted and of the fixture itself. I think some may like the fixture for the price of them. any comments are welcome, I like to answer questions and take a razing when I can. :lol:

Light fixture came today. I mounted it to the ceiling and leveled it out. looks real nice. I love the low profile look and it puts out a TON of light and the bulbs are not even run in yet. can't await to have some run time on them and see how they look. But anyway,
the fixture is a 72" 8 bulb T5 fishneedit light. for a couple hundred bucks I figured why not give it a try. and I do believe I'm going to be pleased. I ran it for about 2 hours and there is NO heat what so ever. I'm very pleased of that. Also I gave everything it's final cleaning and have started to fill the system with RO/DI water.
now it's kinda like watching grass grow waiting for this thing to fill.:lol:
Picture301.jpg

Picture302.jpg

Picture303.jpg

I hate the RO wait, after a day of watching it drip i always end up running to ARC to get jugs of water!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14588354#post14588354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbell09
lookin good greg maybe i'll get to come see it in person lol
Hey Mike, anytime man . feel free.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14588269#post14588269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefeasy
I hate the RO wait, after a day of watching it drip i always end up running to ARC to get jugs of water!!
If I only needed a 100 gallons it wouldn't be to bad but I need over 500 :eek2:

YEAAAAAA I have the refuge almost full. 50 gallons :lol: still another 450+ to go.:eek2: tossed in a pail and a half of sand I had left from the original 180 build so about 150 pounds. it covers the bottom about a half inch so with the other 350 or so from the 180 I should be in good shape. not to deep and not to shallow.
Picture304.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14596037#post14596037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thriceanangel
Are you just going to use the one fixture? Also does that fixture have individual reflectors?
For now yes just the one fixture. they are a modular lighting system so I can add halides in the middle and another full strip of T5's on the other. The reflector in it is a one piece but it contours each bulb about half way around each bulb.

I want to add a little in there about fishneedit lights. I have not been able to confirm it but there is something that my corals do not like. It has to be those 10k bulbs that they come with. Some corals like them, others do not. So chances are that you'll have to replace the bulbs.

I am still running a couple different tests on them so you need to give some updates as well. All in all they are a nice light. Not sure how well the ballasts are matched up to the bulb wattage but you really cannot beat them for the price. I own three.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14596178#post14596178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Capt_Cully
Oh baby!
\I hear ya. I wish it wouldn't cost me 400 bucks for water from the store or I would go buy it. :lol:
could you just imagine that, loading the back of my truck with 400 1 gallon jugs from walmart.:lol: :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14596344#post14596344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by emm0909
I want to add a little in there about fishneedit lights. I have not been able to confirm it but there is something that my corals do not like. It has to be those 10k bulbs that they come with. Some corals like them, others do not. So chances are that you'll have to replace the bulbs.

I am still running a couple different tests on them so you need to give some updates as well. All in all they are a nice light. Not sure how well the ballasts are matched up to the bulb wattage but you really cannot beat them for the price. I own three.
I got the 14 k bulbs with mine. I don't like the 10 k look

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14596356#post14596356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tropills
\I hear ya. I wish it wouldn't cost me 400 bucks for water from the store or I would go buy it. :lol:
could you just imagine that, loading the back of my truck with 400 1 gallon jugs from walmart.:lol: :lol:

whaddya mean, you telling me you don't have an RO unit? You could buy 3 of them for $400???

Yes I have one. It just takes forever. 75 gpd . it's like watching grass grow waiting for it to make up 500 gallons. I should have it filled by monday afternoon.

Ah, makes more sense. I know your pain. I still have to redo some plumbing in my basement. When ever I use my RO the back pressure causes more water to spray all over the wall and floor, than collects in the reservoir. I have to run it at a very low pressure taking about a week to get 50 gallons out of a 100GPD system. And....it's getting worse. That is definitely on the top of my Honey-do list.

Back