intermediate reefer help

11mixedreef

OK hopefully this is the most appropriate thread to put this in but I need some softies help as well. My story is my 110 mixed reef was started Dec. 15 2015 I tried to do everything right this time and be as patient as I could be. I am a United States Marine currently deployed with my spouse looking after my tank. From December till almost March I took care of it and had pretty good success I may of only lost one coral or so and that was a flower pot which I didn't at the time know needed a mature tank, in addition to that I only lost a couple fish after the cycle and that was pro ably due to the break in after the cycle adding too fast were all guilty and no quarantine process. Since I've been gone we have had quite the hard ships my spouse takes decent care of the tank and follows my instructions well we haven't lost a fish in the past 6 months however coral is just not growing one bit I know coral grows slow but there is 0 growth on anything except a few heads on my zoa colony. and my LPS hammers and frog spawn are alive 0 growth and minimal polyp extension. I will try and list our processes to the best of my remembering so you can assist us in getting the tank turned around till I get back in a month and a half.

first issue was mid march about 3 weeks after i left we had a heater stick and the temp rose from 78 to about 84 I had her pull the heater and it was quickly replaced now the temp stays 78-79

next about 2 months later one of my AI hydra 26 hd's fried for no good reason the company now owned by ecotech sent my wife out a replacement but at the cost of a week with only one side of the tank illuminated and all the coral had to be moved to that side in the mean time I was so disgusted I forked out the money to buy two new radion xr30 pros and the mounts.

with some connectivity issues for about 6 weeks my wife had set up the radions with toms program I believe and had 100% on all for a 7 hr photo period at 90% mid day and of course 2 hr ramp up and down at the beginning and conclusion of the day at 12 k I had her turn it down to 40% and move it to 14k instead because I think it was hindering the corals from polyp extension but we have seen no improvement yet and that has been about 10 days.

some other issues we tried to adjust was for 2 months my CA was 360 so i had her dose our reef fusion and over the course of 2 weeks bumped it up to 500 when tested at the LFS and with some water changes and regular dosing its come down to 450

Alk has been low since not sure how much of an issue it is but I'm scared to have her raise it cause that could be catastrophic it sits at 6 as the LFS tests it

OK so equipment 110 DT with a 40 gallon sump currently
running 2 felt filter socks then a reef octopus 110 skimmer wanting to upgrade soon
then a small fuge which i put cheato in but it died off
a mag 9.5 return that runs my high capacity gfo and rox carbon BRS reactors they get changed about ever 30-45 days

we do bimonthly water changes of about 25 gallons and were using fritz pro salt but have recently slowly changed to red sea coral pro with no differences

using the radion pros as stated and two PP8 jebaos for flow they are on full alternating causing a nice little standing wave and a gentle sway to the corals when they used to extend all the way for me they haven't been changed but looking to upgrade to mp 40s x2 and a new WiFi Neptune apex when I get back in September

Here is the last tests values from my LFS they haven't changed much
SAL 1.025
PH 8.3
AM 0
Nitrite 0.10
Nitrate 2.5
Calcium 460
Alk 6
Mg 1300
Phos 0.25

we dose reef fusion 4.5 cap fulls every day and 4 caps of reef fusion 2 every other day

6ml of vodka once a week (I don't know if this is negatively effecting it or not but i dont seem to have a nitrate issue)

rotifeast a couple teaspoons twice a week and two small feedings a day of frozen brine or mysis or pellets

I will be setting up a QT tank when I return so don't get on me for that I will try and attach pictures of the tank before and now please give me input for why I'm getting 0 growth and little extension.

Ethan

what is your water change schedule? How often do you clean your filter socks? what brand test kits Are you using and Are they new? up to date. your alk is abit low not critical but at 6 you don't have much cusion. If it were me I would start with a few 20% water changes in a week or ten days , this should get you in the ballpark with your alkalinity, then I would do daily alk test to see your reefs consumtion, then go with 2 part following there directions and test until you get a handle on it. never have used fusion but esv and brs 2 part are proven methods. also I think your using too much light. I use radions and they are crazy powerful. btw Ime smaller more frequent water changes seem to be a better method in maintain a reef. good luck and thank you both for guarding us zsu

water changes 25 gal every 2 weeks in a 150 gal system wash socks in rodi every 4-5 days and i use elos but im not there so i have her take it to our LFS in my absence so im going off what she tells me they write on the card ya know

What are the units for the alk, is it dkh? Coral likes consistency and stability, sounds like it has been a bumpy few months.

yea I know its been a rollarcoaster but im talking I know people who basically throw out or plop GSP in a bowl with a home depot light and a little pump and you cant kill it ive literally killed GSP and xenia most people would say how do you do that I stay on my wife I moniter this as best as possible and things are alive just no extension or growth I think of myself as having some good background with a lot of knowledge I just don't have a clue as to what the main culprit could be or where to go from here so im reaching out and yes DKH is 6 for the ALK

I haven't had an ALK swing its just always been like 7 then has recently went to 6 over the last 2 months

I was in your shoes with alk alway being 6-7. I got fed up with it and forked the money for a 3 pump doser and alk never drops it actually a lil high at 10 dkh.
Best advice I can give from experience is buy a doser and use the 2 part solutions. I use esv. I don't have a trouble with Lps growing slowly for some reason even with calcium at 460. But softies. They won't die. I had hand waving coral out of water for 12 hours( it's on the overflow) when I put in new sump.

I also plan on adding 2 BRS dosers with my apex I plan on investing in so maybe that will help I didn't know if the ALK being at 6-7 was effecting polyp extension and growth tha much cause in 8 months nothing has changed

I also plan on adding 2 BRS dosers with my apex I plan on investing in so maybe that will help I didn't know if the ALK being at 6-7 was effecting polyp extension and growth tha much cause in 8 months nothing has changed

Alk should be minimum of 8dkh because that's natural sea level. Some correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Back