Is dying chaetomorpha bad for the tank

No one is saying copper effects chaeto, just that once it is used on sand and rock they cannot be put into a reef tank. (just a warning)
What type of lighting are you using on the chaeto?

Thanks Randy, while the study was done on Padina boergesenii, the same principals and findings may apply also to chaetomorpha.

The chaeto is looking a little more grey today but the copper appears to completely removed (except for trace levels I suspect) according to my Seachem test kit.

So the last question I think, which is really just reasking the original question, is dying chaeto toxic to the tank? If it's just going to fall apart and be caught by the mechanical filter then I'm thinking I'll leave it there in case it comes back. If however it's truly toxic, then I'll certainly pull it out and try again in a few weeks.

Phosphates are down from 0.35 to 0.32 per the Hanna checker.

I pulled the remaining chaeto out this evening. Funny thing is I purchased a clump maybe a month ago from eBay. It wasn't growing so I purchased 1/2 lb from Liveaquaria. The Liveaquaria turned grey and died within a week of being in the water, the original eBay clump while still the same size is still nice and green and firm. I'm hoping with the better waterflow, removal of all the copper, high nitrates and good light, it starts to grow.

Back