Is my Coral Banded Shrimp eating my fish?

bluelair

I am at a complete loss. I have lost more fish than I care to count. They're not dying, they're literally disappearing. Levels are fine, it's a 55 gallon reef, 3 yrs old, loads of healthy growing corals, 2 clams, 1 peppermint shrimp, a few hermit crabs (one large) and snails. Fish are a perc and yellow goby.

I'm not finding corpses, they're not jumping out, just disappearing. They're not going into the skimmer or the filter. Tonight I moved every rock to find the latest victim's corpse (small wrasse) and NOTHING. I cannot understand where they are going. Could it be the CBS? He's rather large, and healthy.

I'm pretty sure I do not have a mantis either, I haven't added rock in more than 2 years.

CIMG0414.jpg

I am a shrimp lover but this is the one shrimp I hate! I got rid of mine, he went to PetCo good by! He picked on the anemone, actually ate the tentacles, attacked fish, other shrimp the list goes on.

I've read the gold version is not just a color morph but a different species and that they are not aggressive but I don't have personal experience with that.

I hear so many horror stories with these guys, yet I've never had a problem with mine. He's even willing to clean fish if they're brave enough. I've nearly had him a year now.

I do feed small amounts 3 times/day. Maybe that's the secret?

I hear so many horror stories with these guys, yet I've never had a problem with mine. He's even willing to clean fish if they're brave enough. I've nearly had him a year now.

I do feed small amounts 3 times/day. Maybe that's the secret?

It probably is, I try to keep my feeding very light to maintain water quality, so I'm pretty sure this guy is supplementing himself. I cannot believe he could put away an entire fish in 2-3 days.

Having enough food is a good argument. Still...it doesn't explain why mine attacked the clownfish...unless he was trying to eat them! Holy crap he's more of a monster than I thought! ;)

You're right...very nice looking shrimp. Boxer shrimp are such a draw because of their color and shape no denying that!

In temporary holding, awaiting prisoner transfer at 0800. Is it me or does he look sorry?

2011-03-24_06-12-04_684.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, our CBS killed the blue damsel and our favorite dwarf flame angel (yesterday). We really enjoyed the flame. Now it's gone. I regret buying the CBS, need to eradicate it asap.

LMAO...funny thread. Sorry to hear about your missing children. One of my disappointments with this hobby. I have my count of missing fish. No corpse, trace...nothing and it's usually either the really nice looking ones or the expensive ones. Hope your CB has a good lawyer.

Thank you all for your input. I was just about to buy me a CBS today. After reading this I think I will not get one lol.

I wish I saw this thread sooner. I was just given a CBS by a friend who was down sizing his tank and just last night I noticed the shrimp getting tough with some of the fish. Time for him to go.

We were having similar issues with fish disappearing and had seen our CBS eating "dead" fish figuring (hoping) he was just batting clean up, but tonight after everyone was asleep, I sat spying on the tank in the dark and saw our CBS snatch one of our Cardinals and pull him under a rock. Woke up my husband and we were able to rescue the Cardinal and now have CBS (aka Bandito) isolated and awaiting transfer. Explains now what happened to our wrasse...

I've had my golden coral banded shrimp for a few days. Aside from curiously prodding all my corals while exploring the tank, he's been great. Hasn't eaten or nipped at anything yet.

Crossing my fingers. These golden ones are exceptionally pretty, would hate to have to get rid of him.

They are opportunistic. If there's too much competition for the food you feed the tank they will find their own, usually being your fish and inverts.

Back