It's not unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love saltwater fish I'm jus saying alot of fish just die through shipment or bad care an not many SW fish are CBB so that's a problem for the Bobby's future I just think there should b stricter collecting limits and seasons and even moratoriums on some fish like Hawaiian yellow tangs or flame angels for a year or 2 so they can respawn for future years harvest yellow tang populations have gone down By 40 - 70% around the Hawaiian islands recently and I feel like they need some protection that's y I will never by a yellow tang even though I'm a huge tang fan

What is the source for your information showing Yellow Tang populations are 40% - 70% less!? Can you site a study done by a group of researchers? When I looked into this claim by Snorkel Bob and others last year I could not find any research supporting it but there is research showing Yellow Tang populations are increasing concurrently with increasing collection.

I apologize I have done more reasearch and seen that in some parts of Hawaii yellow tang populations are going up but I swear to god I have seen legible articles that in other parts of Hawaii there have been drastic population declines I deleted it off my phone I don't know what article it is its on my dads phone though so next time I see him Ill get the site for you and there are other fish out there in trouble what about flame angels and other popular fish and the "BIG" fish and populations of fish in trouble in other parts of the world

If there are so many yellow tangs why don't they collect a bunch and make a saltwater fish farm there and start captive farming them so there populations will never get in trouble from over collection if sharks and groupers are returned to fix the Hawaii oceans

Anyone else find it curious guy seems to have signed up just for the sake of making a couple of provocative threads?

If there are so many yellow tangs why don't they collect a bunch and make a saltwater fish farm there and start captive farming them so there populations will never get in trouble from over collection if sharks and groupers are returned to fix the Hawaii oceans

You cant just throw fish in a big tank and expect them to breed... captive breeding of marine fish is by no means a simple task. If memory serves yellow tangs have a very difficult larval stage and to date no successful captive breeding attempts have been recorded and verified

I don't mean a big tank I mean a saltwater pond basiclly or a big netted off section of the ocean shoreline

And you could probably feed the larval fish little brine shrimp or something?

I don't mean a big tank I mean a saltwater pond basiclly or a big netted off section of the ocean shoreline

And you could probably feed the larval fish little brine shrimp or something?

I was being facetious when I called it a big tank, even a 100,000g pool cannot and will not mimic the natural conditions of the ocean, think of public aquariums, the massive tanks they have, and the total lack of tang breeding in even the best biotope tanks.

Breeding is a complicated undertaking, you need to understand that NOTHING is simple!

Also: Brine shrimp are HUGE compared to what the larvae need. I believe rotifers are even too large.

Not to be offensive, but I think you need to do a LOT more research. a lot of your information and assumptions are incorrect. If we knew exactly what the larval stage ate we wouldnt have an issue raising them would we now? lol

First of all there just my thoughts of how to make the hobby better and second of all I've been on this website for 2 days how many forums do u expect me to make

Take the reptile industry lots not all of there popular animals are cb it's more convinent and also helps wild populations rebuild without having to constantly flucate due to human disturbances same should go for fish

Have you done any research into fish farms? or commercial breeding at all? These ideas have been thought up before and are actually used on a large scale for corals, the problem is that it isnt anywhere near as simple when you talk fish. look into each species and the breeding requirements for it, a ten second google search will pull up all the information you could EVER want on breeding, so do your research before you post!

No I have watched vedios on it and coral farming before I realize most of things that are going on I realize its hard but I don't see how it wouldn't work for At least some of the fish and yes I know clown fish and dottybacks cardinals are already CBB but I'm talking about at least some of the fish that have been CBB before like flame angels and other dwarf angels should be implemented into this system for commercial sized breeding amonts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back