Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

What a bummer about the DOA frags :( Shipping these delicate corals can be very tricky. It would be really cool to see how those frags react to different tank parameters.

I wasn't able to place numbers all over over the tank like some guys do :) but I tested par and it was pretty high.

In the center of the tank just below water surface was 820
A few inches down where frag rack is 700
Pearberry colony 530 (10" from water surface)
Sandbed 300

This is about 25% more par with the 14k AC halide than I was getting with the Radium.

pic for reference
Yep tank looks great.
Interesting I used to use the AC bulbs years ago but switched to Phoenix 250 14k because I was told they gave similar par and to my naked eye they looked pretty much the same side by side. Never did an actual par test though, do you have any idea how they compare? I know the AC were way more pricey so in theory they should be better but I was wondering if you had any experience with them as well?
Thanks,

Looking good Richard. Sorry to hear about your shipping disaster.

Thanks. Disaster it was!

This is why I tell you I can pick up!! Lol

The hobbyist in my wanted to spread the coral across the country :crazy1:

Sorry to hear your shipping troubles . I recently had a frag not make it due to the heat pack NOT working ..

That sucks. I think when a heat pack doesn't work it's either that it got wet, or not enough oxygen. I shipped a coral when it was 0 degrees (buyers request + responsibility) and it made it over fine. Making a few small vent holes kept the pack very warm.

Sorry about the frags man but i'm sure you'll have a new "batch" in no time:beer:

Yea, eventually. I am going to plumb in a new frag tank as soon as I get a new mogul socket from Giesemann. I was going to go LED, but I already have the giesemann spectra. I'll growth everything in a shallow tank under 250w radium.

What a bummer about the DOA frags :( Shipping these delicate corals can be very tricky. It would be really cool to see how those frags react to different tank parameters.

I have this coral in a dozen local tanks. I think only 2 or 3 guys keep the red. Could be a number of reasons but from what I have observed Par has to be 500+ (I have better color 600-700). The tank must be well fed with a good bioload. ULN tanks have a nice blue tenuis with no red.

Yep tank looks great.
Interesting I used to use the AC bulbs years ago but switched to Phoenix 250 14k because I was told they gave similar par and to my naked eye they looked pretty much the same side by side. Never did an actual par test though, do you have any idea how they compare? I know the AC were way more pricey so in theory they should be better but I was wondering if you had any experience with them as well?
Thanks,

The AC prices dropped. It's a normal priced bulb now :) I never got to play with phoenix on my current tank because I am running 400w SE bulbs. I haven't ran phoenix 14k bulbs in 8 years or so, on an old 120g tank. I thought they looked dim at the time, but it was the DE equivalent to the Radium:) The bulb choices are shrinking these days.

Hoping you still have frags for me :fingerscrossed:

I have frags but I'm done shipping. I lost way too many corals over the past 2 months. I'm keeping it local. You're not that far. I'm sure we'll cross paths, or maybe know a mutual reefer close by?

How about some updates, or just more pictures! :)

Pics? Ok

Wild 'fuego' frag growing out
IMG_2538 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Pearlberry colony 6"+ now :)
IMG_2530 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Captive grown Hoek
IMG_2536 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Dragon colony
IMG_2534 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Tyree PM
IMG_2535 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Super Girl frag
IMG_2529 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Cherry Blossom Acro
IMG_2537 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Shortcake colony getting large
IMG_2531 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I have frags but I'm done shipping. I lost way too many corals over the past 2 months. I'm keeping it local. You're not that far. I'm sure we'll cross paths, or maybe know a mutual reefer close by?

I don't blame you.

Okay now to find someone that has met both of us.

Richard, with so much growth in the tank now, are you still using ESV B-Ionic 2 Part or Ca Reactor? - Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the thread. Thanks.

Wow! Thanks.

You're welcome :)

Looking good man. Keep those pics coming.

I will take DSLR pics soon. These last shots are from an iPhone 6

Amazing Richard! That Pearlberry is to die for![/QUOTE

The classics such as the pearlberry can still hold its own against all the new fad acros. Definately in my top 10.

Thanks! Absolutely! The Pearlberry is becoming the reefs centerpiece.

I don't blame you.

Okay now to find someone that has met both of us.

We'll figure it out. I am at my busiest work season right now, so the tank stuff tanks a back seat. This summer my schedule is much more flexible.

Richard, with so much growth in the tank now, are you still using ESV B-Ionic 2 Part or Ca Reactor? - Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the thread. Thanks.

Still using ESV. There are actually less corals in the tank now so consumption haven't really gone up. Doing 120ml each of b-ionic 2 part, and dosing 400ml of saturated kalk + vinegar daily.

Back