Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

Hey guys. The tank is alive but still having some stn issue. Cyano all over, also discovered that I have redbugs lol. I'm really hating this tank right now :). I have some free time next week so I will add some interceptor, do a water change, and get things back on track. Overall the tank don't look horrible, just needs tome tlc. I'll post pics and details etc. I believe the main reason for my issues is that I was too busy to feed days at a time, which lead to "over skimming", and a bacterial collapse of my system. Cyano is becoming a pain as I ramp up my feedings again. Might have to do a lights out treatment in the future.

Good luck Rich, at least the bedbugs are a manageable problem. Hopefully the tank will be back on track in no time:)

Sorry to hear about that Richard. Redbugs is pretty easy to get rid of relative to AEFW or MENs. Still sucks though. Good luck with the removal!

You might want to try some Microbacter7 from Brightwell or some of the zeo bacteria products if you're concerned about bacterial population collapse. I'm just starting vodka dosing so it's fresh in my mind, but maybe it'll help you as well. You could also artificially supplement the bacteria until it reestablishes by vodka dosing as well?

Thanks for the update!

Hey guys. The tank is alive but still having some stn issue. Cyano all over, also discovered that I have redbugs lol. I'm really hating this tank right now :). I have some free time next week so I will add some interceptor, do a water change, and get things back on track. Overall the tank don't look horrible, just needs tome tlc. I'll post pics and details etc. I believe the main reason for my issues is that I was too busy to feed days at a time, which lead to "over skimming", and a bacterial collapse of my system. Cyano is becoming a pain as I ramp up my feedings again. Might have to do a lights out treatment in the future.

Did the coral colours suffer due to reduced feeding? Hope things turn around quick.

Rich,
Have you considered adding either MB7 or zeobak to aid in upping your bacterial populations? I was able to rid a small area in around a week by bacteria supplementation using MB7, it really worked great, then added a c-source to feed the bacteria, cyano starved out in no time. Hope you get your tank back on track soon, I know you will, noting but a speed bump :)

Knowing Rich, he's probably already started dosing some microbelift special blend. I have confidence you will get the tank back to its former glory!

Sorry to hear things got away from you Richard, looking forward to seeing you back on regularly mate. :)

I'm sure you'll figure this out buddy;)
How long will you follow "lights out" treatment rich?
That never worked for me:(
As soon as i turned them back on,cyano came back.
The longest i went was 4 days.

Good luck Rich, at least the bedbugs are a manageable problem. Hopefully the tank will be back on track in no time:)

Thanks bud, I did an interceptor dose. RB's are dead :). I have to do a large WC today. :hmm6:

Sorry to hear about that Richard. Redbugs is pretty easy to get rid of relative to AEFW or MENs. Still sucks though. Good luck with the removal!

You might want to try some Microbacter7 from Brightwell or some of the zeo bacteria products if you're concerned about bacterial population collapse. I'm just starting vodka dosing so it's fresh in my mind, but maybe it'll help you as well. You could also artificially supplement the bacteria until it reestablishes by vodka dosing as well?

Thanks for the update!

I have dosed several bacterial products through this tanks life. I actually stopped dosing everything at the moment. I just want to get some balance and stability before artificially trying to ramp up bacterial populations.

Did the coral colours suffer due to reduced feeding? Hope things turn around quick.

A little, but colors are still great, even on corals that I lost or stn:eek1:

Rich,
Have you considered adding either MB7 or zeobak to aid in upping your bacterial populations? I was able to rid a small area in around a week by bacteria supplementation using MB7, it really worked great, then added a c-source to feed the bacteria, cyano starved out in no time. Hope you get your tank back on track soon, I know you will, noting but a speed bump :)

I absolutely plan on dosing prodibio and special blend again once I get everything stable. I never used c-source before. I'll look into that. Thanks for the vote of confidence, it was pretty discouraging to see this tank go downhill and not have the time to try to correct it.

Wow i like that tank but mostly I love that stand!! My wife wants me to build one like that now

Thanks My wife made me get a rustic stand built for this cube. That was the deal ;)

Knowing Rich, he's probably already started dosing some microbelift special blend. I have confidence you will get the tank back to its former glory!

Thanks. This mess will take a little while to correct.

Sorry to hear things got away from you Richard, looking forward to seeing you back on regularly mate. :)

Thanks biggles. Looking forward to being back regularly. I have to go through a few tank threads to see what you guys have been up to :lolspin:

I'm sure you'll figure this out buddy;)
How long will you follow "lights out" treatment rich?
That never worked for me:(
As soon as i turned them back on,cyano came back.
The longest i went was 4 days.

Thanks
Last time I did lights out it was for 3 days. I was also doing special blend for several weeks prior The lights out did the trick for me. Did you cover the sides of tank to block sunlight and ambient room light? A small amount of light can sustain cyano.

Richard, just found your thread and wow what a beautiful tank you have. I have a 30x30x24 cube being made now and is due to be delivered within the month. I have been in the hobby for over 20years and have the SPS bug pretty bad. Current tank is a 36x24x18 65 show with refugium. 250 Radium 20k MH and t-5's for lighting. Colors and growth are doing well. I hope to achieve something close to your success and I will be trilled. Looking forward to seeing updated pics after the RB kill off.

Richard, just found your thread and wow what a beautiful tank you have. I have a 30x30x24 cube being made now and is due to be delivered within the month. I have been in the hobby for over 20years and have the SPS bug pretty bad. Current tank is a 36x24x18 65 show with refugium. 250 Radium 20k MH and t-5's for lighting. Colors and growth are doing well. I hope to achieve something close to your success and I will be trilled. Looking forward to seeing updated pics after the RB kill off.

Thank you. Good lighting choice ;) This is majorly overlooked these days. Do you have a tank thread to follow.

Glad you got the RB under control.

Thanks Kat, that was the easy part. Now i have to get cyano under control and improved overall coral health and coloration.

The tank doesn't look horrible at the moment, but the damage is done. I lost my huge shortcake colony, 3/4 of my PM colony, some of my oregon tort, purple nana colony, and countless other stn bouts with other corals. I fragged and remounted a bunch of stuff over the past month and everything is growing. All recession in the tank has stopped and is regrowing.

Here is the FTS from today. I hope to improve it greatly over the next few months.
IMG_3852 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Tank still looks fantastic. I can't even imagine it fully grown in. It's new, it's something to play with. It just takes time to get it back to how you had your corals before, but it'll be a fun journey.

No tank thread, but will start one when new tank arrives. Really enjoy seeing your photo's and video's. Glad to see you are back on track.

Glad u have it stable buddy ,, tank still looks amazing but I did get to see it about 8 months ago and it was a amazing system !!!! It will b back in no time Rich .

Back