Jamie's Crazily Overstocked Tank .... thread

Hmm..are you talking about the red one with the white edge, or the red one with the green edge? If you mean the white edged one, I just discovered some TINY babies that are identical to it growing on a nearby rock. They take a lonnngng time to grow, but I'll let you know when it gets bigger :)

Yeah the white edged one. Keep me in mind if you end up pulling some babies.

I love the tank I also like true percula boy getting one with a dot, WOW that is amazing.

Thanks! I am so humbled by all the +++ feedback for my clowns, especially in this day and age of so many awesome patterned picasso's and whatnot!

July update

July update

I left my tank thread a couple months ago swearing that THIS WAS IT. I AM NOT GOING TO ADD ANY MORE STUFF TO IT! MY TANK IS WAY OVERCROWDED!

Man o man, how quickly I forgot those statements :p

Beginning of June I came across some bicolor anthias. I had to swoop up all 5. No regrets!! They are large, beautiful, BOLD, and hardy like no other anthias I've ever come across! Yes, they may cost a prettier penny, then say, a dispar, or ignites, but it is $$ well spent. I did not have a single one perish from uronema, pinched-stomach-disease, ich, or whatever weird disease that anthias usually succumb to. Large tank reefers, if you ever come across these, I highly, HIGHLY recommend them!
Here are a couple of them, grouping well with my lyretails and bartlett's in the background.

I've kept a vlamingii in the past and loved its personality. Seaside had like a dozen of them and I couldn't resist. This one's just a baby, so judge me not Tang Police! (I actually can't wait for it to get huge so I can upgrade! haha)

I started feeding like a madwoman. Partly bc I know anthias need to eat, but mainly bc I love watching my own fish eat haha. Unfortunately, I went insanely overboard. Not only did I feed over 6x's a day, but tons of homemade frozen food got thrown in, and left uneaten as it traveled into the overflow. Not that I cared"”it was all too exciting watching the anthias swarm!

Then, as you guessed it, problems arose with my Acros. (Heck, I wanted a challenge, right? ugh). I noticed frags beginning to recede from the bottom. I *suspected* it was the crazy feeding regime, but refused to believe it until I finally lugged out my old test kit out. My nitrate levels had shot up to 20 ppm. ok! Lessoned learned. Calm down with the feedings. Unfortunately, it was too late, and I lost several frags"¦including the red planet, Dodgerblew!! Sucks!!

I *did* manage to save most of them, but, sadly, a lot of them had to be snipped off where the recession occurred and reglued . The good news is, now that the "˜trates are back at 0 for the past 3 weeks, things are starting to re-encrust again.

This poor acro lost most of its base, but seems happy again.

Left side pic of tank just for the heck of it.

Sadly, the Aussie green BTA did not make it. I'm now wondering if its due to the high nitrate levels as well. Strangely enough, other BTAs are fine, as are the more "sensitive" carpets.

Here's Mr. Dad clown tending to his eggs.

Mama clown looking on.

I did move this mysterious BTA to the front. If you look carefully in my old FTS shots, you might've noticed this ugly brown nem in the back haha. I've had it since March, and always appeared to be a dull brown so I relegated it to the back where there's very little lighting. Moved it to the front following the death of the Greenie, and it is coloring up to a more golden color. Here it is next to Rosie.

Here's a picture of one of the baby flower anemones in my tank. They are scattered in random places throughout, and they are TINY. Look carefully behind the setosa (thanks again, Scrapz!).

So, the tank's been stable for the past couple of weeks. Bleah. Needed a challenge to keep me on my reefing toes.

Successfully trained the big guy to eat live and frozen foods, freeze dried mysis, freeze dried krill, and flakes while in my 10 gallon QT. Buuuut, just in case, (I wanted a challenge, remember? lol), bc I know that they might revert back to pods once in the DT ....

Tisbe pods, to be exact ;)

Then, as if THOSE things weren't enough to keep me busy, I picked up a tiny frag of this from Your Reef at LARS last week.

Sun coral's currently living in my refugium. Unfortunately, he wasn't looking too great for the first week. Never opened. I decided to try feeding it in a cup every day, and day by day it is definitely looking better. Polyps are extending.

And now, I will conclude this posit by saying it again, NO MORE TANK ADDITIONS!! I am at my wit's end ... haha

No problem. I'll have another piece for you :)
Haha thanks, rik but I may have to pass on it. I'm running out of room to the extent that every time I pick up a frag, I have to add more rock to the tank to increase surface area!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

If the fish can still swim around its not too crowded 😀 Beautiful tank

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself lol. I have to say,so far so good with all tank inhabitants. Asides from my blue tang keeping my purple tang in check from time to time, theres really no aggression. Knock on wood.

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself lol. I have to say,so far so good with all tank inhabitants. Asides from my blue tang keeping my purple tang in check from time to time, theres really no aggression. Knock on wood.

Things are looking good!

Update needed!

Update needed!

I haven't touched this thread in over a year, but finally got around to taking some pics.

FTS, Front

1hpBAZbh.jpg

FTS, Right Side
zLRlg3zh.jpg

FTS, Left
HKxLxOsh.jpg

In the past year, lots of major changes occurred:

Full tank rescape.

Gigantic green Gigantea was finally sold (took up too much room!!), and, interestingly enough, after it was removed, my blue gig began thriving! :)

Sold all my BTAs--got sick of them moving around.

Realized that keeping acros is HARD WORK! haha. My frags would grow, encrust, and then out of nowhere, begin to STN. (ok, not quite out of nowhere--low alk always contributed to it, but I absolutely refuse to get a doser!). The conclusion? No more difficult SPS for me! Will stick to the digis, the birdsnests, and monti's, and the "easier" acros...

Picked up this ritteri anemone a couple weeks ago. Following Cipro treatment, oddly enough, my Big Momma clown decided to leave her blue gigantea, and use it as her new home.

cvlh9PVh.jpg

Might as well throw in some pics of my little 18 gallon softy tank as well. It's been set up, peninsula-style, since December '16.

Front
fq0i7LHh.jpg

Side
2FBv1qzh.jpg

Back
rkxp7i1h.jpg

Tank is looking great!! SPS is beautiful as well. I think last time we talked was when you were first beginning to introduce them, yeah?

Following Cipro treatment, oddly enough, my Big Momma clown decided to leave her blue gigantea, and use it as her new home.

Nice pick up.
My clowns did the same. Would leave their XL gig and go into a tiny Magnifica.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-1nygeY3zvY?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Tank is looking great!! SPS is beautiful as well. I think last time we talked was when you were first beginning to introduce them, yeah?

Thanks, Zik! Yup,I figured I would give acros a try, but man, they are super high maintenance. Milli's especially hate me! haha

Nice pick up.
My clowns did the same. Would leave their XL gig and go into a tiny Magnifica.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-1nygeY3zvY?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Interesting. Although I've heard that gigs are their natural hosts, I wonder if they're more frequently found in mags instead. I noticed in every "national geographic"-type photo/poster they're photographed in a mag instead.

Nice tanks Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dannyfish!

Back