Jamie's Crazily Overstocked Tank .... thread

T
Interesting. Although I've heard that gigs are their natural hosts, I wonder if they're more frequently found in mags instead. I noticed in every "national geographic"-type photo/poster they're photographed in a mag instead.
Gig is definitely a natural host. The darker percula variants such as yours are usually found in gigs and come from either PNG or SI.
Most of the ones you see on TV and posters are likely from the Great Barrier Reef where Perculas seem to occupy Magnificas for the most part.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gocdKSPqbhM?list=PLvlrqIc20Znxl8-Pwu6FcodQA5Jzkfoci?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NkfcXvmSdqE?list=PLvlrqIc20Znxl8-Pwu6FcodQA5Jzkfoci?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Lo-maintenance
Lo-tech
Lo-vley to look at
Lo-ve it!

I have to say, I always had great sucsess with CL salt back in the day when I had my high mantinance, high tech SPS factory.

very nice!!

Thanks! Your tank's not so bad yourself--<3 all those 'shrooms! :)

Gig is definitely a natural host. The darker percula variants such as yours are usually found in gigs and come from either PNG or SI.
Most of the ones you see on TV and posters are likely from the Great Barrier Reef where Perculas seem to occupy Magnificas for the most part.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gocdKSPqbhM?list=PLvlrqIc20Znxl8-Pwu6FcodQA5Jzkfoci?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NkfcXvmSdqE?list=PLvlrqIc20Znxl8-Pwu6FcodQA5Jzkfoci?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Wow, that's really cool. I had no idea the clowns from the GBR aren't as black. We know that giganteas usually cause the black to deepen more in percs, and I believe I read someone posting awhile back that the Mags caused the black to fade in their clowns. In that case, I'm going to to assume that gigs are mostly found in the Solomon Islands and PNG region, thus contributing to the high black in the true percs over there, right? And vice versa in Mags. Probably oversimplified, but makes sense to me.

Beautiful tank Jamie

Thanks, Rik! Looks like your tank's recovery is coming along beautifully as well. All those acros healthy again! I am in awe of reefers like you! :)

Lo-maintenance
Lo-tech
Lo-vley to look at
Lo-ve it!

I have to say, I always had great sucsess with CL salt back in the day when I had my high mantinance, high tech SPS factory.

hahaha, thank you! I really strive for the low maintenance set up. Not a fan of reefing gadgets--there are too many plugs and wires in reefing as it is!

Unfortunately I can't boast about not dosing anymore. The SPS mini colonies consumed Alk like crazy--so much, in fact, that my regular water changes just couldn't cut it anymore.

I *can*, however, boast that Alk is being manually dosed every other day lol.

Came home to find my blue gig stinging the heck out of my digi. Ugh. I'm tight on carpet anemone space so the digi got fragged instead.
6c31ed762e7344881aa4b3b066827ddf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

My new addition [emoji7]

98ebabc07ff51d38f98165f940ba5eef.jpg

Still uncertain about what to do with the former magnifica anemone I had. Really want to keep it, but how? And where??

Toying with the idea of a 3rd tank ...lol

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thanks, Zik! Yup,I figured I would give acros a try, but man, they are super high maintenance. Milli's especially hate me! haha

Aww why the hate groom the millie?! Mine were torts! They were not happy that moment it touched my hands, but I think all that is behind me now

Just picked up a piece 2 days ago so we'll see what happens with it

It's been awhile and wanted to post some updated pics.

For once things are going well. For starters, acros are growing and not receding!

Lots of aptasia though. Oh, well.

BTW, @HersheyB, these are my dosing containers. Still doing it manually hahaha

7df4ef90e471f86ae963919a3029d65d.jpg

FTS
046c4c76c5d9d3179583d3cc2e52a91c.jpg

This guy must've eaten a few hundred dollars worth of fish by now, but every time I threaten to sell it, I can't. It was a Valentine's day gift from tri. I've had it for 6 years now.
63c86ef157cd01967d6dbb769ad7d254.jpg

Ritteri anemone next to my "sebae" anemone
9f856293a447a078f7e2f06a9ee459df.jpg

Some of my torches
4fb5d5a08be4034cb52d69147f313128.jpg

and some of my frogspawns and hammers
e3b20f82938e748ba75c255d9d6ae0c3.jpg

My pink lemonade
137d58db4848cb77a7a21a4c1f330f44.jpg

Joe the coral
70e836f1431e15e88b6f9f53bcbf400b.jpg

Birdsnests!
ce54ae21a0a0cb468b89790c9f0b7120.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Great looking tank, I still see a few open spots for a zoa or two LOL

BTW, don’t blame the carpet. By the time it gets a fish, that fish is already dead or dying most times. Probably saved you many fish deaths from ick.

Jamie, nothing more beautiful then a mature established reef, natural or artificially created. You have knocked it out of the park! What a beautiful tank. Every spot draws interest. Thanks for sharing

HAHA nice dosing containers... tank is looking good! and acro polyp extension are awesome!!
Thanks! I think I've got this acro thing down! (Knock on wood) lol

BTW, don't blame the carpet. By the time it gets a fish, that fish is already dead or dying most times. Probably saved you many fish deaths from ick.
Thanks! I can't help it, I'm into everything. And then it's like, omg, I must get every color morph there is out there lol. There's so many nice zoas out there, but I decided to limit myself to just a few types. Otherwise, it will never end!

Yup, you're right: usually a fish won't get eaten when it's healthy. But when mine die, its usually bc theyve spooked. Unfortunately, I've lost many anthias when they first get put inside the tank. I tried placing them as far away as possible from the gig, but they freak out and dive right in. SMH.
Jamie, nothing more beautiful then a mature established reef, natural or artificially created. You have knocked it out of the park! What a beautiful tank. Every spot draws interest. Thanks for sharing
Thanks, rik! I can't help it, I'm such a livestock hoarder haha.

Wow, someone who knows what they're doing when taking pics, does wonders for making a tank look good.

Here's a pic that the husband just sent me while I'm up still north in the bay area.

WAY more flattering than any of the FTS's I took that were featured in this thread! Lol

ed21f008addf4129e1350c1b85363fd6.jpg

BTW, don’t blame the carpet. By the time it gets a fish, that fish is already dead or dying most times. Probably saved you many fish deaths from ick.

I think fish aggression plays a part... chase em right iin. But for the most part Id say thats true. Carpet nems are crazy sticky. I had tips of tentacles in my arm during maintenace when I mistskenly brushed against mine.

Nice tank thanks for sharing.

Back