Jamie's Crazily Overstocked Tank .... thread

Jamie1210

Even though I spend practically 90% of my online time looking at ppl’s tanks on RC, I actually never made my own tank thread ... until today!

My current tank is INSANELY overcrowded due to my tendency to hoard corals as well as fish over the years. I figured, hey, it's just more things to look at, right? No minimalistic look for me! lol :)

Front shot

Left Side

Right Side

Giganteas and BTAs

ko39Iq3h.jpg

fpFVRJ5h.jpg

Here are the specs:
135 gallon cube (36”x36”x24”). 3 sided-starphire, Eurobraced, made by Leemar. Tank has been set up since 2014, after upgrading and moving all livestock over from my 56 gallon semi cube.

Lighting is ATI T5’s with bulb combination of (going from front to back): Coral Plus, Blue Plus, Coral Plus, Blue Plus, Blue Plus, Purple Plus.

The sump, made by Advanced Acrylics, is on the smaller scale and is carried over from my 56 setup. It simply houses the skimmer (Bermuda), refugium (more on that later) and return pump (Quiet One 4000).

Flow: left side MP40wES, right side modded Tunze 6025.

Maintenance:
It’s actually super simple: manual top off (like 2.5 gallons every other day). No controllers. I don’t dose anything. I don’t test. 20 gallon water changes every other week using Coralife salt mix. I must have the easiest maintenance/care regime of anyone on here :)

Refugium:
2-3 inch sand bed, 3 mangroves, and the following macro algae: blue ochtodes, red grape caulerpa, string of pearls, dragon’s tongue macroalgae. While all of these “fancier” macroalgae are growing well, for some reason, I just can’t keep chaeto alive. Ugh.

Livestock
Ok, here comes my favorite part of any tank thread! :)
Fish:
Spawning pair of wild caught true percula clownfish from Reefhotspot (remember them??) that I bought back in 2007.
Blue hippo tang—I picked him up from PTF’s bag sale in 2009 when he was the size of a quarter.
Circus goby—also from Reefhotspot back in 2009.

(Not all my fish are that old though! lol) Here are the rest:
Trio of Bartlett’s anthias, Trio of lyretail anthias, 1 Evan’s anthias, 2 purple queen anthias.
Purple Tang from SPS Coral Store
Female blue throat trigger from Iconic Reef Store
6 line wrasse from Coral Collection
Wheeler’s watchman goby

Anemones are the highlight of my tank!
1 green gigantea carpet (a RAP purchase!), since 2013
1 blue gigantea carpet (from PTF!), since 2012
1 rose BTA (the nicest pure red rose!) from Colione , sinnnnce …as long as I can remember ….
1 Aussie green BTA (newest purchase from Ali at Amazing Reefs 2 weeks ago)
Then, in addition to all the clown-hosting ‘nems, I have several flower anemones as well. The drabbier-colored ones are from ’08, when the rock anemone craze didn’t really begin yet!

The fish and the nems are my favorites, hence all the details on where they’re from, and *when* they’re from. The corals … well … there are too many to list, so just enjoy the pictures! (Only recently started getting into SPS (Dec. 2015) so you’ll see a bunch of tiny sticks scattered throughout. On a side note, I have a feeling that bc I don’t dose, I will be experiencing some suuuuper slowwww growth!)

Last edited:
Some of my rock anemones; there are more on the other side!
ZAO9uBYh.jpg

Fish pics

fs00fPZh.jpg

SZSeURyh.jpg

And a cespitularia pic just bc I thought the purple looked pretty against the lime green gig :)
NPPsy2nh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tank - did broTro clean your light shield yet? Make him do some work....

Last edited:
Nice tank. I still see room for more corals lol.

Thanks! I made a promise to myself to quit buying livestock unless something dies, no matter how tempting something looks at the LFS haha.

Nice tank - did broTro clean your light shield yet? Make him do some work....

Nah, if he did, then it'll no longer feel like my tank anymore. We have tank rules in our household: KEEP OUT! lol

Nice gig and female clown is awesome.
Thank you. I've been following your posts on the Clownfish/Anemones section of RC. You've definitely got a nice collection of true percs yourself!

Gorgeous carpet anemone. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! It takes up so much room!

Wow on the clowns. They look awesome

They are my pride and joy :)

Here they are awhile back, when they were still living in the 56 gallon tank and only hosting BTA's. You can definitely notice the increase in black when they started living in their gigantea instead.
Ls8oPSdh.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice tank Jamie. Do you still have the red planet?

Thanks, Rik! Yup, I still have your red planet. It is encrusting on my rock :) I think when you gave it to me, it had a bright red base, but then it turned green in my tank bc of its relatively low spot. I still have to keep it in that area bc the carpet takes up so much precious SPS room! After I lowered my lights a bit, the red is starting to come back, but alas, it will probably never be as insanely red as when you first sold it to me.

So awesome. Thanks for sharing pics. Don't forget...If you get another tank you can give in to lfs temptation. -S

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

You're there all the time
Not only is he there all the time, he's always judging my ways and methods! :p

Gorgeous!

Thank you! :) I love red BTA's placed next to bright green ones. Now, if I can only find me a lemondrop or sunburst that doesn't cost an arm or a leg ....

Higher the light the more red but the lower light green with red is beautiful too IMO.

Way more red is needed in mine! Will have to post a pic later to show you how green it got!

So awesome. Thanks for sharing pics. Don't forget...If you get another tank you can give in to lfs temptation. -S

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Oh, man, at one point, I had 4 tanks set up. The 135 gallon upgrade was a consolidation of all of them, and lemme tell you: life is SOOOO much easier :)

That rock nem with the red center is killer. Want to sell it to me?

Nice tank and thanks for sharing.

Hmm..are you talking about the red one with the white edge, or the red one with the green edge? If you mean the white edged one, I just discovered some TINY babies that are identical to it growing on a nearby rock. They take a lonnngng time to grow, but I'll let you know when it gets bigger :)

Back