JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Owners Club

I had this setup for quite awhile, went with a DIY mod on an AC70 fuge for chaeto. It was too loud for my living room though, so I went back to running chaeto in the center chamber and going with the AquoEuro Nano skimmer. If you are interested, I'll make you a deal on the fuge setup (since I don't have a need for it anymore) - PM me if interested

i've only got about 2.5" between my tank and the wall, so i'm stuck not being able to hang anything off the back. thanks though!

F-i-n-a-l-l-y!!! tank has cycled, introduced snails and hermits 10 days ago. Temp at 75.4; Ph 8; Gravity 1.024; Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 Ammonia 0.

Ready for fish... I'm thinking mandarin dragonlet from liveaquaria
Lots of pods on glass; hermits already switching shells.

Noticed small brown pod don't know what this is good or bad?
album.php

Unless it's eating prepped foods, that's probably not a good idea. The pod population may be thriving now, but it won't be enough to support it. I tried this in another thirty once and ended up having to try and teach the mandarins to eat fish roe...sorta worked, but then I had to spot feed them every time, which was incredibly annoying after 2 months

F-i-n-a-l-l-y!!! tank has cycled, introduced snails and hermits 10 days ago. Temp at 75.4; Ph 8; Gravity 1.024; Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 Ammonia 0.

Ready for fish... I'm thinking mandarin dragonlet from liveaquaria
Lots of pods on glass; hermits already switching shells.

Noticed small brown pod don't know what this is good or bad?
album.php

ok slow down slow down.

first, temp is way too low, bump it up to 78-80
second, SG should be around 1.026 (35ppt)
i call BS on the no nitrates, just sayin...

no mandarins, not in such a small tank, not without a fuge, not without lots of rock, and not so early.

go for the easier fish first...

ok slow down slow down.

First, temp is way too low, bump it up to 78-80
second, sg should be around 1.026 (35ppt)
i call bs on the no nitrates, just sayin...

No mandarins, not in such a small tank, not without a fuge, not without lots of rock, and not so early.

Go for the easier fish first...
+1

can you take a picture of it outside the water? you've got me curious now heh

how did you kickstart your cycle?

I left the thing on the cover of a bucket and it disintegrated into nothing. When I touched it it became sandy... so weird. If I get another one, I'll have someone look at it under a scope.

I didn't exactly kickstart the cycle. I started with live sand then fine white sand on top of that. Then just dry fiji rock. after 2+ weeks nothing happening, so added 1/2 medium raw shrimp. Then 10 days later LFS tested water and said OMG do a water change & add live rock. So I did; then another week more live rock, water temp and salinity good but everything else off the charts so another water change. 1 week later things look good add live snails and hermit crabs. On vacation for a week, just returned and everything looks great!! I had friend add RO water while I was gone.

Thought I'd post my Nano Cube 28DX since it's been a long while. I know, it's pretty packed. Will more than likely be cleaning and re arranging it when I get home.

picture.php

Pretty sturdy lid.
picture.php

Last edited:
I left the thing on the cover of a bucket and it disintegrated into nothing. When I touched it it became sandy... so weird. If I get another one, I'll have someone look at it under a scope.

I didn't exactly kickstart the cycle. I started with live sand then fine white sand on top of that. Then just dry fiji rock. after 2+ weeks nothing happening, so added 1/2 medium raw shrimp. Then 10 days later LFS tested water and said OMG do a water change & add live rock. So I did; then another week more live rock, water temp and salinity good but everything else off the charts so another water change. 1 week later things look good add live snails and hermit crabs. On vacation for a week, just returned and everything looks great!! I had friend add RO water while I was gone.

ok, some advice i always give, and i've given it so many times it gets to be repetative but never really wrong:

if you don't have them, get your own test kits. there are times where something just doesn't seem right that you'll need to know immediately what is going on. if you had, i'm assuming, enough ammonia that your lfs is said omg do a water change, there is absolutely no way you have zero nitrates, especially in a small tank with very little opportunities to remove them.

you put in a little bit of live sand, with a lot of dead rock and dead sand on top of it. your rock is not capable of being considered "live" at this moment IMO. i'd bet if you put another medium shrimp (which IS kickstarting your cycle btw) in, you'd have a large ammonia spike. but you diluted your ammonia by doing water changes, and probably haven't been adding food to the tank the past few weeks, or anything else that would break down into ammonia, so i'm seriously afraid that once you start adding things, you're going to crash.

don't rely on the lfs. they are there to sell sell sell and may (or may not) tell you anything to get to that point. if you put the shrimp in, and test your own water, and still come up with zero everything, i'll apologize. right now, i don't think i'll have to though.

one other thing, try to start making your own water. it's not all that difficult, but in emergencies you're going to want to have enough water around to do a full water replacement. and you won't have the time to get to the lfs

second other thing, which just hit me, is your thoughts on a mandarin goby. if you didn't add any live rock, where did you get pods from?

Fish & Corals in the tank:
Fish: 1 banggai cardinal, 2 clowns, 1 4" lawnmower blenny, 1 fire fish, 3 small blue chromis, 1 golden damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and i think my blue/gold damsel went MIA. 1 feather duster, 1 maxima and 1 deresa clam.
Corals: soft: 1 stalk xenia, hairy/red/green striped mushrooms, small blue polyps, green star polyps, zoos and palythoas. LPS: aussie acan lord, duncan colony, goniastrea, red/green brain, caulastrea, torch. SPS: 2 small acros, 2 montipora plates and 1 pink sps one i forgot the name of.

my sad attempt at making a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxCIs3hryA

Michelle: keep reading up on what you'd like to stock your tank with so you can have greater chances of success at this hobby. The more you know now and the knowledge gained continually will help you make wiser decisions the further you advance in aquaria. good luck and stock slowly. df

Fish & Corals in the tank:
Fish: 1 banggai cardinal, 2 clowns, 1 4" lawnmower blenny, 1 fire fish, 3 small blue chromis, 1 golden damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp and i think my blue/gold damsel went MIA. 1 feather duster, 1 maxima and 1 deresa clam.
Corals: soft: 1 stalk xenia, hairy/red/green striped mushrooms, small blue polyps, green star polyps, zoos and palythoas. LPS: aussie acan lord, duncan colony, goniastrea, red/green brain, caulastrea, torch. SPS: 2 small acros, 2 montipora plates and 1 pink sps one i forgot the name of.

my sad attempt at making a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxCIs3hryA

Michelle: keep reading up on what you'd like to stock your tank with so you can have greater chances of success at this hobby. The more you know now and the knowledge gained continually will help you make wiser decisions the further you advance in aquaria. good luck and stock slowly. df

you forgot your soon to be cat fish :)

i wish i could have cats (wife's allergic unfortunately) i'd love to see how curious they are regarding tanks in person.

Yeah, I'm taking it slow. Two weeks with 5 snails and 3 hermits (who have all taken up new shells) has left lots of waste in the tank. Doesn't that create ammonia? My LFS keeps telling me NOT to buy fish/corals yet. Consistent with you all...

Yeah, I'm taking it slow. Two weeks with 5 snails and 3 hermits (who have all taken up new shells) has left lots of waste in the tank. Doesn't that create ammonia? My LFS keeps telling me NOT to buy fish/corals yet. Consistent with you all...

quite honesty, the only big waste producing snails are mexican turbos. they can poop quite a bit. i assume other snails and hermits produce waste, but i'm reading your other post, where you only have 7lbs of live rock and triple that in base rock. It just scares me that the bacteria probably has not grown into your rock enough to support a lot of ammonia hitting it, such as what a fish would do. coupled with your lack of nitrates, your use of bioballs and the bio rings from JBJ (which, btw, are not needed once your rock can sustain the cycle), i just don't want you to put something in there and have it die on you. it's heartbreakingto some people. you've spent a lot of money on your system, we want to keep you using it...

so what i'd do is just go buy another shrimp. put it in a mesh bag away from your hermits. check your ammonia in a day or two. check your nitrates (don't bother with trites...), see how the rock handles it. if you have ammonia after a day still, it has not been colonized enough.

if it converts it directly to nitrates, cool, put in a fish every two weeks. just make sure you're ready to deal with diseases such as ICH, Brooknella, and such, just in case.

Back