Jebao Cross Flow Pump

I know to many people who haven't had luck with these and I was afraid of wasting money on the crossflow so I spent a couple more dollars on a IceCap gyre and love it so far.

I bought the cp55. Waiting on delivery now.
I'll have that on one side of my tank and 2 xf250 gyres on the other side. Along with the other jebaos (2 rw20s, 4 wp60s) and my 2 fluval sp6 returns should have some pretty good random flow going on

My cp-40 is 6 months old and started making loud noise. I took it apart and 1 of the white silicone/rubber rectangle things was broken.
Did anyone find a place to get parts for these?

I bought a new one because I couldn't stand the noise and hooked it up to my old ones controller and it's doing strange things. It only has about half the flow of my older one and it doesn't flow in a steady stream across the tank it flows 1 stream up to the top and 1 stream down to the bottom. Has anyone had this happen? I'm waiting on a reply from seller.

I also tried to take my old one apart to clean it and can't figure out how you get that cap with the holes in it out without breaking it? I tried a screwdriver and a tweezer and gave up.

I did put the silicone piece from the new one onto my old one and it works great again but I don't want to pay $95 for a silicone piece lol.

Thanks
kass

My cp-40 is 6 months old and started making loud noise. I took it apart and 1 of the white silicone/rubber rectangle things was broken.
Did anyone find a place to get parts for these?

I bought a new one because I couldn't stand the noise and hooked it up to my old ones controller and it's doing strange things. It only has about half the flow of my older one and it doesn't flow in a steady stream across the tank it flows 1 stream up to the top and 1 stream down to the bottom. Has anyone had this happen? I'm waiting on a reply from seller.

I also tried to take my old one apart to clean it and can't figure out how you get that cap with the holes in it out without breaking it? I tried a screwdriver and a tweezer and gave up.

I did put the silicone piece from the new one onto my old one and it works great again but I don't want to pay $95 for a silicone piece lol.

Thanks
kass
The cap with the holes has a very small notch on the side that you need to line up inside the body. I had two cp40's and both seized up after dismantling to clean and reassembling, as they never go back together properly. I ended up buying the real maxspect gyres (xf250) and have never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have Maxspect gyres, to clean those l soak the whole pump in vinegar for a few hours and then blast under the tap, no dismantling and trying to put back together, no issues. Would this not work with the crossflows?

Ron I am trying to decide which one I should get for my 125 SPS but have been mixed readings between these 2.

Based on your experience with both which one you can recommend me?

Thanks in advance...

Sorry, I don't check this thread all that often anymore.

Either one works. Since I got even the 2nd or 3rd 'unofficial' generation of Crossflow from Jebao (or Jecao... or whatever) they have run 100% as well as the Maxspect.

I have Maxspect gyres, to clean those l soak the whole pump in vinegar for a few hours and then blast under the tap, no dismantling and trying to put back together, no issues. Would this not work with the crossflows?

I'd say yes, but in time teh vinegar may start to have an affect on the soft parts (silicone and/or rubber) in either brand. Personally I take mine apart, wash them in the sink and put them back together. I don't see the problem.

Seriously considering a CP-55 for my 155, has anyone had some experience with these I'm really only seeing a lot of posts about the CP-40?

I bought replacement parts from fish street

I didn't even know there was a cp-55! I have had the cp40 for a while now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my original cross flows had a failure, 1.5 years out of warranty. I asked the supplier for spares and they said no, we will send you new pumps.

I have 2 new 3rd generation CP40's now. :). Brilliant service.

You have to keep them clean, the same as the maxspects - there's just more to both pumps than a propellor.

By the way, if you have clicks coming from your cross flow, strip it down and put it back together again, ensuring that you don't over compress everything and that is all spins freely. In transit they get knocked about and I'm sure it pushes things together too much.

How did you ask the supplier? I've emailed Jebao 3 times from their website and never got a reply.

and thanks mgreenough

kass

How did you ask the supplier? I've emailed Jebao 3 times from their website and never got a reply.

and thanks mgreenough

kass

I emailed Eric @ Fish Street. Always comes back quickly in my experience and has been great. In contrast, whenever I email a UK supplier, I get nothing back. :(

any updates on the performance and reliability of these pumps.. the Jebao cp25 and 40 have finally hit south africa..

any real benefit to maxpect over jebao.

I have both. The wet sides are extremely similar and a bit temperamental when cleaning and reassembling.

The controllers are quite different and they each have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion.

Flip a coin.

I can vouch for the CP-40. I've not used the maxspects personally, but issues are well known, but sound like they have been mostly fixed.

Performance seems compatible from those who have owned both that I spoke to.

Personally I flipped a coin and decided to pay a lot less money and have not been disappointed. I'm about to order the AQ link so I can finally control both pumps from my Apex which was the missing piece for me.

I've used my cp-40 for a year now and it works just fine. I've taken it apart for cleaning twice.

However, I will be going back to conventional power head (sw-4 or sw-8) when I set up my new tank. I personally think this is mostly a novelty.

thanks for the feedback guys,

any idea what tank sizes these pumps are best suited to?

cp25
cp40
cp55

?

Not sure on the CP-55, but I use the CP-40's on a 4x2x2 tank and they never go above 30% power giving awesome flow. So you could get away with using the CP-25 on a higher setting. They are only 1cm smaller though, so you're not making a big saving on space

I would strongly advise having two pumps at opposite ends.

Here's the flow at 2 or 3 lights power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQ1dbxigbE

Last edited:
I have had both my CP40s for over a year now. I have replaced one unit twice and the other once. They are difficult to clean and troubleshoot. They also progressively get noisier. As mentioned above they are more of a novelty and I have since switched to SW-15, SW-20 and an old RW8. A few pages back here i was supporting the CP40s but after repairing countless units and replacing the motors, it really isnt worth the headache lol.

I have had both my CP40s for over a year now. I have replaced one unit twice and the other once. They are difficult to clean and troubleshoot. They also progressively get noisier. As mentioned above they are more of a novelty and I have since switched to SW-15, SW-20 and an old RW8. A few pages back here i was supporting the CP40s but after repairing countless units and replacing the motors, it really isnt worth the headache lol.

Hummmmmm. I was going to give it a try but after reading this got me thinking. I use 2 RW-15 on my 125 tank and they have been running great for 2 years but yesterday 1 motor shutoff. I already places the order to replace it but will like to try the crossflow.

Did you ever used the Maxpect Gryre? Any thoughts?

Back