Joe Burger's (JB NY) Reef Tank

Thanks for the good words. I spent many days/weeks/months planning various aspects of the tank and setup. It seems that everything has come together very nicely indeed. But don't let the current look of the tank fool ya, I had all the same problems lots of reefers have, cyno, bryopsis and Dinoflagellates. No real problems with hair alga ever though. The other problems were enough.

Thanks again.

I don't comment on many tank-of-the-months. Oh, all of them are nice, but your tank is the BEST I have seen! It's not just the tank inhabitants, but the over all system I like. It is just like I would set things up if I had a house. Alas, with an apartment, such an elaborate set up, with phytoplankton station and huge refugium, is not an option due to space limitations.

That has to be one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. Awsome job on everything. I am setting up a 180 All Glass right now. So far I have (all stuff is DIY)...wood cabinet stand 3' tall for nice viewing and to fit my skimmer under (I don't have a basement), 75 gallon custom acrylic sump with 2 built in 25 micron filter filter socks that the tank drains into first, 12-2 euro-reef skimmer, mag drive 1200 flowing thru a 22" titanium coil heat exchanger inside of 6" PVC piped to a 6000 BTU window unit air conditioner outside for my chiller (2 stage electronic temp controller for heat and cool), 2-250watt Ebo-Eager heaters, AMP master 3000 for my main pump. I am ordering lights tomorrow. I am going with 3-Ushio 10k 250's and 2-actinic 6' bulbs (icecap ballasts) and I may follow your moon light setup..I like your idea better than mine. What is the advantage of the rotifers you add to your tank? I use all four bulk heads as drains. I put a 1-1/4" durso standpipe on the 1" bulkhead and left the 3/4" bulkhead wide open so I can flow all that water. I have four 1" returns with sea swirls on two of those. All I can say is I hope my tank can be as nice as your tank some day. Here's link to a picutre of the chiller and titanium coil inside-
http://www.huffdental.com/chiller1.jpg
http://www.huffdental.com/coil2.jpg
This is a very efficient chiller.

You guys are killing me. I've resisted the urge to splurge on a reef tank since I shut my last one down, five years ago, but after seeing Joe's tank, I don't know how much longer I can hold out! That tank is positively breathtaking. Congratulations on the rewards of all your efforts. I know how it can be, trial after trial, and finally reaping the benefits of your success.
Awesome job!

Back