JohnL's 20 Gallon Nano Reef

I’m out of my element with this as well but I remember reading recently on R2R that Dr. Mac at Pacific East Aquaculture doses iodine in his tanks.

I’m out of my element with this as well but I remember reading recently on R2R that Dr. Mac at Pacific East Aquaculture doses iodine in his tanks.
When it comes to Randy - who I fully respect and appreciate - If he didn't see it in his tests from when he kept a tank or can't connect it to some biological process that he is aware of, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks for your help @kharmaguru @BeanAnimal @reefing102

I think I will stick to weekly water changes and not dose any trace elements and do another ICP test in a few months. In the interim, I'll try to educate myself some more. Perhaps @Habib can offer some advice 🤔
I've actually done the same for the most part. No more willy-nilly additions outside of the big 3. The part that has me most curious is that positive effects it's suggested take a month to materialize. I just watched an interview with Mike Paletta and he says 6 months for them to be observable. Makes it pretty hard to know when you've done something right. He also says he coined the phrase "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". That's fun if true.

Hello John,

the water quality of your aquarium is terrible. There are a lot of elements elevated. There are several possible sources for them.

Here is a list of the most common:

- RO water. Yours is not ok. I recommend to install a mixed bed resin filter behind the RO system.

- Seasalt mix. I recommend to buy a high quality seasalt like Tropic Marin classic reef salt.

- Corroding metals. Remove the window cleaning magnet always after usage. Do not use heaters made of titan. Check all other metal parts in or around your tank fo signs of corrosiuon/rust. Replace affected parts.

- Imbalanced two or three part Balling solutions.

- Trace element solutions. I do not recommend to use this kind of solutions at the moment.

After you have improved the quality of the RO water and bought a salt of higher quality, I recommend to do a lot of water changes.

"Am I correct that I should dose 0.15 ml of Iodine two times "

Yes.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Dr. Ben Funk

Laborleitung

b.funk@atiaquaristik.com

www.atiaquaristik.com

fon: +49 (0)2381 871012-0

fax: +49 (0)2381 871012-9

ATI-Aquaristik GmbH

Herbert-Rust-Weg 14

59071 Hamm

Germany

Hello John,

the water quality of your aquarium is terrible. There are a lot of elements elevated. There are several possible sources for them.

Here is a list of the most common:

- RO water. Yours is not ok. I recommend to install a mixed bed resin filter behind the RO system.

- Seasalt mix. I recommend to buy a high quality seasalt like Tropic Marin classic reef salt.

- Corroding metals. Remove the window cleaning magnet always after usage. Do not use heaters made of titan. Check all other metal parts in or around your tank fo signs of corrosiuon/rust. Replace affected parts.

- Imbalanced two or three part Balling solutions.

- Trace element solutions. I do not recommend to use this kind of solutions at the moment.

After you have improved the quality of the RO water and bought a salt of higher quality, I recommend to do a lot of water changes.

"Am I correct that I should dose 0.15 ml of Iodine two times "

Yes.

Dr. Ben Funk

Laborleitung

b.funk@atiaquaristik.com

www.atiaquaristik.com

ATI-Aquaristik GmbH

Herbert-Rust-Weg 14

59071 Hamm

Germany
Do you use a DI stage John? The high silicates can be dealt with by adding a pure anion stage after the mixed bed. I believe the 'silicate buster' mixed resins just have an extra layer of anion resin.

Interesting what he said about titanium heaters. I wonder if there is any literature to back that suggestion.

Here is his reply about the RO water

Hello again,

silicon is supposed to be under 40 µg/l and not 3800 µg/l.

Dr. Ben Funk

Laborleitung

b.funk@atiaquaristik.com

www.atiaquaristik.com

ATI-Aquaristik GmbH

Herbert-Rust-Weg 14

59071 Hamm

Germany

Do you use a DI stage John? The high silicates can be dealt with by adding a pure anion stage after the mixed bed. I believe the 'silicate buster' mixed resins just have an extra layer of anion resin.
I do. I use a BRS value 4 stage with mixed bed DI. What would be a good way to add a pure anion stage?

I do. I use a BRS value 4 stage with mixed bed DI. What would be a good way to add a pure anion stage?
I believe BRS carries the separate anion and cation resins as well as add-on housings. People with specific water quality issues will often run the resin separately instead of mixed bed.

I believe BRS carries the separate anion and cation resins as well as add-on housings. People with specific water quality issues will often run the resin separately instead of mixed bed.
So, I would remove the mixed bed cartridge and replace with anion cartridge?

Would this be good to add to my existing setup?

Would this be good to add to my existing setup?

I was suggesting a single housing but that would do it. ;) Bigger gadgets = better gadgets.

Back