JohnL's 20 Gallon Nano Reef

Can't wait to see those frags grow out. Glad some made it. I've always thought about trying a flame scallop but never brought myself to getting one yet. Glad it's still doing good.

I miss my 20g. I'll have to set it up again one day and get another mantis.

Flame scallop hitchhiker still doing well. Very interesting how it moves around the tank.

View attachment 32391349
Nice. I have 3 in my 65 and 2 in my wife’s 32 that came in on KP rock. They’ve been doing great so far. As far as the starving/poor captivity rate, I’m curious if that’s because most of the ones we see appear full grown and may be towards the end of their life span

Nice. I have 3 in my 65 and 2 in my wife’s 32 that came in on KP rock. They’ve been doing great so far. As far as the starving/poor captivity rate, I’m curious if that’s because most of the ones we see appear full grown and may be towards the end of their life span
Good point.

This is from TFH:
Flame scallops are pretty, but they rarely last much longer than six months in captivity. Keep in mind they have a natural lifespan of about five years, and its quite possible many are already half that age when collected.

From this article:

@JohnL how’s the tank going? Haven’t seen updates from you in a while.
1000020476.jpg

Awww John, I am sorry to hear that. Well, maybe it's not the right season of your life to keep finicky coral. For me, no seasons of my life seem to be the right time so I decided to be content with keeping the easy stuff!
Thanks Dawn. I've been considering that.

I love the clam! Sometimes I think about getting another clam. I had a thriving crocea but sold it when I got seahorses.
I miss my derasa clam…lost it in an ice storm that lasted for a nearly a week . Now I’ve got a crocea for the first time. It’s prettier, but man what a slow grower (by comparison). The derasa seemed to get bigger every week!

Derasas are awesome but get big. Croceas (if memory serves) at the smallest fully matured and have great color.

I miss my derasa clam…lost it in an ice storm that lasted for a nearly a week . Now I’ve got a crocea for the first time. It’s prettier, but man what a slow grower (by comparison). The derasa seemed to get bigger every week!
True, they are a slow grower but that was an advantage for me because I only had a 36 gallon tank. I would choose another crocea if I got another clam as my current is only a 56 gallon tank.

Back