June meeting!

So...... just to be clear, prospective new members are allowed to attend? I have set up my first reef tank and I am nearing the end of my phosphate/nitrate battle after converting from FOWLR. I plan to start doing corals as soon as my levels are all the way down. So i don't have any frags to bring but still wanted to come. I've never been to something like this before.

What are your levels? I bet they are fine for corals if it was already a established fowler

June meeting!

My Nitrate was over 100PPM and my Phosphate was about .56 PPM. I have my nitrates down to about 20-25ppm and my Phosphate down to about 200ppb. I can get my ultra low range Hannah to have a reading now.

Thank you!

I think you can easily add Zoas, lps and even hearty sps like montipora, provided your lighting is up to standards.

And btw 200ppb is a po4 of .6, so that hasn't changed much from your original number of .56

I think you can easily add Zoas, lps and even hearty sps like montipora, provided your lighting is up to standards.

And btw 200ppb is a po4 of .6, so that hasn't changed much from your original number of .56

The last thing i want to do is offend anyone by trying to correct them, but i believe that 200 ppb is .2 ppm. We are just dealing with zeros when going from parts per billion to million.

I have the ULR Hannah checker and the LR Hannah checker and last time i tested i got .20 on my LR and then on the ULR it was reading 198.

Not sure if we can post links here, but here is a conversion calculator that pretty much says the same thing.

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ppm-to-ppb.htm

But aside from that, corals ok to add with those levels? I'm scared haha... i dont want my corals to bleach out or die :-(

June meeting!

No worries, but it's not quite that simple.

189cd1ce64c83689328b71ca9c3853b7.jpg

Hanna ulr reads phosphorus, not phosphate.

No worries, but it's not quite that simple.

189cd1ce64c83689328b71ca9c3853b7.jpg

Hanna ulr reads phosphorus, not phosphate.

AHH! Sorry man. That's what i get for thinking i knew what i was talking about. Lol So where is a good number to keep it at?

Haha! That is a can of worms to discuss. Some say under .03, some, like myself, say it doesn't really matter. My system has been between .1-.2 for a long time. I don't have any problematic algae issues, my sps grow quickly with great color so I'm not changing a thing.

Honestly - I think you're fine to try some zoas and/or soft coral species and some hearty lps/sps.

How big is your tank?

My tank is a 150 and i have a Maxspect Razor R420R 320Watt light. My tanks is 57.5 long (external dimensions) Eurobraced

For flow i am running 2 maxpect xf250 gyres and i am running a SRO-2000INT skimmer. Getting ready to dump the hose plumbing and switch to hard plumb within the next 2 weeks. Just built a new sump out of a 40 Gallon breeder that has a 15" by 16" refugium. Built a box to do the bean animal design for the inlet.

I'm going to try to make it. I'll bring veggie platter and dip. My daughter will join me. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I dropped off some really nice stuff from the club and a few pieces of beginner sps from my personal stuff. Hope everyone gets something the love!

I believe it's over. I left over an hour ago. Awesome meeting. Thanks Bob for hosting, and thanks to the club for all the wonderful corals.

I only had Miami hurricane chalice frags which all members had already. If you missed it feel free to pm me for a piece.

Back