Just the facts on Tangs

Re: Naso Tang

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878613#post12878613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melsueshepp
I noticed you don't have any info on Naso Tangs. I just purchased a baby Naso and he is not eating frozen food i feed the other fish in the tank. he will only munch on algae purchased from the store i got him from. he looks VERY skinny. what should i do?? how do i get him to eat other foods besides fish-store algae?:(
Please read the original post - this isn't a QA thread;)

Purple Tang
Zebrasoma xanthurum
purpletang.jpg

ADULT SIZE: 10 inches

TEMPERATURE:74 to 82

pH:8.1 to 8.4

CARE LEVEL: Moderate

TEMPERAMENT: Aggressive

DIET: Herbivore

REEF SAFE: Yes

Swimming Level: No specific level

Reproduction: Group Spawner

Notes
It will fight fiercely with other tangs and members of the same species
should be introduced to the tank last
should be the sole tang in the tank
regular offerings of dried seaweed and marine algae will improve their immune system, temperament, and their overall health.

Marine Fishes, Scott Michael page 393

Re: Re: Naso Tang

Re: Re: Naso Tang

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878768#post12878768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
Please read the original post - this isn't a QA thread;)

Well, OK, but what about questioning some of the info?

Atlantic Blue Tang
atlanticbluetang1.jpg

atlanticbluetang.jpg

The Atlantic Blue Tang, also known as the Blue Caribbean Tang, Blue Tang Surgeonfish, and simply the Blue Tang

Family: Acanthuridae
Range: Atlantic
Size: Up to 9 inches
Diet: Herbivore
Tank Set-up: Marine: Coral or rock, plants
Reef Compatible: Yes
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Light: High
Temperament: Peaceful
Swimming Level: No specific level
Care Level: Moderate
Reproduction: Group Spawner
Diet: dried and frozen herbivore foods that contain marine algae and spirulina algae
Supplement with pieces of zucchi, broccoli, leaf lettuce and seaweed(Nori)

Notes
the adult has an oval body with bold markings that change as the fish matures from juvenile to adult.
A juvenile is bright yellow with two blue bands at the eyes, and additional blue markings at the fringes of the dorsal and caudal fins. When mature, the blue will become even brighter with markings running horizontally along the entire body. It may have a yellow tail.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1875&articleid=2029
Marine Fishes Scot Michael p373

Re: Re: Re: Naso Tang

Re: Re: Re: Naso Tang

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12879340#post12879340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Well, OK, but what about questioning some of the info?

I wish people would read the whole thread:rolleyes:
to repeat from three posts above
please email me instead of making comments on this thread otherwise the thread will lengthen and lose its impact of being able to scan through it quickly.
It will be much appreciated if you could just follow the suggested outline if you wish to post
thanks
Scott

I read your entire inititial post, thanks. I'm not a fan of being told a can't post in a thread containing "just the FACTS", especially to correct a simple inaccuracy. If a mod would like to make this a stickie closed announcement, that's fine.

I'll leave it at that I guess.

Last edited:
White Cheek Surgeon
Acanthurus nigricans

Also known as: Whitecheek, Powder Brown, Gold-Rimmed Surgeon
whitecheektang.gif

Maximum Size: 8.3 inches

Diet: The Acanthurus nigricans is a herbivore and likes to eat Dried Seaweed (best), marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , fresh seaweed, and other meaty treats.

Level of Care: The White Cheek Tang is a high maintenance fish.

Behavior: The White Cheek Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.

Hardiness: this is not a hardy fish

Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Range: Hawaii.

General Notes: Acanthurus nigricans, once known as A. glaucopareus, is simliar to A. japonicus but is hardier. It is believed the name was revised from A. glaucopareus to nigricans due to it's reputation of being difficult to keep in captivity.

Like other tangs in the Acanthurus group, you should not have more than one and it is not usually acceptable to mix Acanthurus sp. into one tank unless it is very large.

Will most likely be peaceful with other fish it shares the aquarium with providing they do not have similar body styles.

http://marinedepotlive.stores.yahoo.net/white-cheek-tang---acanthurus-nigricans-fish--tangs.html
Marine Fish Scott Michael pg 377

Scott,

There is no way we can have a thread like this and not have people post who disagree. There are few 'facts" in this hobby.

The picture that was used for the Rostratum looks like it is a scopas variety and not a true rostratum. Regards, Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12879781#post12879781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
Scott,

There is no way we can have a thread like this and not have people post who disagree. There are few 'facts" in this hobby.

I have realized that;) thanks Brian

I'll stop posting and causing problems for the mods

Sorry to inconvience the mods=== it seemed liked a good idea at the time and worth trying :D

I sincerely hope there are no hard feelings with the mods
Scott

Hey capn,

I know I said it before, but anyway. I can see what you are trying to do and its a very good idea, nobody else seems to be acknowledging that, don't give up.

I am pretty sure it's the "facts" word that gets everyone wound up as everyone has their own interpretation of said facts. You need to have a chat to a few mods and find one that is willing to help create a thread where 'off topic' posts will be deleted. Ask everyone for their personal experiences with different Tangs, no questions or disputes, just personal experiences. Get them to post it up in the same structured format as you have here.

At the end you could maybe compile the information into some sort of database or just leave it is for people to browse.

Please don't take this as trying to critisize your work, I'm not, I just hope you can find a way to make it work as I think it will make a valuable reference.

Dave.

capn, I admire your efforts, but asking people not to post on this thread will not work, this is a public message board and as yet you don't have control over it. Plus you are usually begging people to post on your threads, you cant change your tack now.

Nice information, heres some links to better pics of mimic tangs
juvenile ebili mimic vrolkii mimic adult lemonpeel mimic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12881376#post12881376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
capn, I admire your efforts, but asking people not to post on this thread will not work, this is a public message board and as yet you don't have control over it. Plus you are usually begging people to post on your threads, you cant change your tack now.

Nice information, heres some links to better pics of mimic tangs
juvenile ebili mimic vrolkii mimic adult lemonpeel mimic

ouch adtravels
Please don't rub it in===Ive learned my lesson:eek:
I honestly feel I tried something a little different here and with good intentions-it didn't work--but I dont need to be publically humilitated over it

BTW
I was encouraging people to post here---if you read the first post i sited it as a group effort and wanted people to post here so I have not changed my principles
We(there were other people behind me) just wanted the posts to be facts and pics only
:c

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12881529#post12881529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
ouch adtravels
Please don't rub it in===Ive learned my lesson:eek:
I honestly feel I tried something a little different here and with good intentions-it didn't work--but I dont need to be publically humilitated over it

BTW
I was encouraging people to post here---if you read the first post i sited it as a group effort and wanted people to post here so I have not changed my principles
We(there were other people behind me) just wanted the posts to be facts and pics only
:c
How about you and your backers set up a dedicated website with tang information on it, then people can just enjoy the information, you could add an faq, research it properly etc. As this is a discussion board, people will always dispute others "facts" leading to further discussion and a 29 page thread with alot of waffle on it.

Sorry if it was a bit personal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12881595#post12881595 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
How about you and your backers set up a dedicated website with tang information on it, then people can just enjoy the information, you could add an faq, research it properly etc. As this is a discussion board, people will always dispute others "facts" leading to further discussion and a 29 page thread with alot of waffle on it.

Sorry if it was a bit personal.

Thats a great idea but I think when it comes down to it Brian is right when he posted there are no facts in reefing.
To me that automatically means that a facts only thread just wont work --there will be too much discussion and debate
its the nature of the beast;)

I think this is a good thread but what I would like to see is more personal xperience and less fish supplier bs. Like what size tangs in captivity actually grow to and what they actually will eat at different sizes purchased and behaviours in groups. Online suppliers usually give you the "In the wild info" but there actual captivity info is off. For example I have had a sailfin for almost 4 years and he is listed as a 15" at adult size fish. I bought him at around 3" and after 4 years he comes in at a whopping7". I am a heavy feeder with large filtration to accomidate this and he still is no where near his wild size. This kind of info is helpful to someone who wants to buy a tang but feels there 90g is to small. People need hobby info not wild info. People with real xp can really help other hobbyist. Anyways just my $.02

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12881300#post12881300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davez104
Hey capn,

I know I said it before, but anyway. I can see what you are trying to do and its a very good idea, nobody else seems to be acknowledging that, don't give up.

I am pretty sure it's the "facts" word that gets everyone wound up as everyone has their own interpretation of said facts. You need to have a chat to a few mods and find one that is willing to help create a thread where 'off topic' posts will be deleted.

No one said it wasn't a good idea. The issue is that there are some very controversial "facts" being posted, and it is an extreme disservice to hobbyists (especially the inexperienced) to annoint the posts here as some "final word" on a particular species. I have been on this board a long time. I have seen this tried before, and there is nothing "off topic" about a contrary opinion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878613#post12878613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melsueshepp
I noticed you don't have any info on Naso Tangs. I just purchased a baby Naso and he is not eating frozen food i feed the other fish in the tank. he will only munch on algae purchased from the store i got him from. he looks VERY skinny. what should i do?? how do i get him to eat other foods besides fish-store algae?:(

Wow i am surprised that no one is willling to help me or give me some kind of useful advice. I dont think women or booze has anything to do with caring for a fish but, to each there own. I was hoping the capt. of this thread could give me some pointers b/c they are such experts on the species, but i guess it is more important to get on to people about posting things in there thread ... oops did i mess up the order of your non-useful advice??? thanks anyways . :mad:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12882587#post12882587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
No one said it wasn't a good idea. The issue is that there are some very controversial "facts" being posted, and it is an extreme disservice to hobbyists (especially the inexperienced) to annoint the posts here as some "final word" on a particular species. I have been on this board a long time. I have seen this tried before, and there is nothing "off topic" about a contrary opinion.

Brian, I respect you alot as I do the other mods---they have always been very supportive me and I am sure your are aware of the time I have given to helping others and promoting this site as a positive learning experience

So ,please, if your feel that this thread is a "extreme dissservice to hobbyist" remove the thread.
Even though the tread does have some positive merits I would rather my track record remain as a positive service to this community.
Scott

Back