Just the facts on Tangs

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12883160#post12883160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Brian, I respect you alot as I do the other mods---they have always been very supportive me and I am sure your are aware of the time I have given to helping others and promoting this site as a positive learning experience

So ,please, if your feel that this thread is a "extreme dissservice to hobbyist" remove the thread.
Even though the tread does have some positive merits I would rather my track record remain as a positive service to this community.
Scott

I don't think Brian is saying the thread is an extreme disservice by any means, but to close the lines of communication is. Especially when you consider some of the information is quite iffy. Just some examples that jumped out... Why on earth should we keep tanks in temperature ranges of 72-78, it almost implies that temperatures above that are harmful when in fact they're more natural than the ranges listed in most instances. Also, calling a Clown Tang a great reef fish will give some people the wrong impression and I'd hate to see some beginner add a Clown Tang to his tang only to soon realize it's most likely going to die and if it doesn't it could terrorize his tank since they're quite mean. There's also no mention of the fact that many Ctenochaetus tangs utilize detritus as a large part of their diet and suggesting some of the land based foods isn't a good idea IMO.

I think the thread is a good idea... However, just recycling generic information from various retailers and books is only going to give some people the wrong impression. If you want to do a thread like this, perhaps start a thread to discuss the tangs and get feedback and information from people you trust. Once that thread has run its course compile the information in another thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12883930#post12883930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
I don't think Brian is saying the thread is an extreme disservice by any means, but to close the lines of communication is. Especially when you consider some of the information is quite iffy. Just some examples that jumped out... Why on earth should we keep tanks in temperature ranges of 72-78, it almost implies that temperatures above that are harmful when in fact they're more natural than the ranges listed in most instances. Also, calling a Clown Tang a great reef fish will give some people the wrong impression and I'd hate to see some beginner add a Clown Tang to his tang only to soon realize it's most likely going to die and if it doesn't it could terrorize his tank since they're quite mean. There's also no mention of the fact that many Ctenochaetus tangs utilize detritus as a large part of their diet and suggesting some of the land based foods isn't a good idea IMO.

I think the thread is a good idea... However, just recycling generic information from various retailers and books is only going to give some people the wrong impression. If you want to do a thread like this, perhaps start a thread to discuss the tangs and get feedback and information from people you trust. Once that thread has run its course compile the information in another thread.
thanks Peter
I agree with you 100 percent with the discussion thread idea and this is why I think this thread should be taken off and a fresh start be made with the type you are suggesting:thumbsup:

what about a thread where people post links or info on excellent resources they have found for certain species. something like Joe Smith's book Tang had an excellent article on Sailfin Tangs. that way people could read the resource and make their own judgement.
plus it encourages reading, which is never a bad thing :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12888137#post12888137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloak
I put my left shoe on my right foot. My right foot in my left shoe. Still getting by.

;)
Very Useful
;)

Just THE facts

Just THE facts

Zebrasoma Gemmatum

gemtang.jpg

AKA: Gem Tang
Price: 1 mortgage payment (SoCal)
Family: Acanthuridae
Genus: Zebrasoma
Species: Gemmatum
Range: Indian Ocean, Rich peoples' tanks
Size: 6 inches.... hopefully
Diet: Herbivore, surprisingly not picky unlike most expensive fishes
Tank Set-up: Marine ok, Corals ok, esp rare LE stuff
Reef Compatible: Sure
Invert Safe: Snails...yes. mantis shrimp... NO WAY. Take shrimpie out ASAP. If shrimpie makes my Gem Tang his dinner you bet he's gonna be chillin in the casserole tonight.
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Light: Definitely LED lights. Gem Tangs hate cheap power compact lights
Temperament: Can get aggressive towards similar species, so if you have a yellow tang that is bullying the Gem tang, I suggest you take that Old Yeller ASAP and toss it in the sump. You don't want a $20 fish beating up a $3500 fish.
Swimming Level: $3500 includes basic swimming lessons
Care Level: EXPERT ONLY. Time to whip out that wallet and order a Bubble King ASAP. A fish of this caliber shouldn't swim in the same water the Jebo is in. Don't be cheap. Buy the Bubble King NOW.
Color Form: Not too much, just polk-a-dots. Anyways, if you want color I suggest you get a Regal angel.. it's also about 20x cheaper and has more colors!
Wife Comments: WHAT?? YOU SOLD THE MINIVAN TO BUY WHAT???????????
Reproduction: Not in our tanks :lol:

lighten up guys!

Last edited:
I would honestly rather have a book. Facts can be found anywhere - it's the experience and opinions that are the most valuable IMO.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12883930#post12883930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
I don't think Brian is saying the thread is an extreme disservice by any means, but to close the lines of communication is.

:thumbsup:

Re: Just THE facts

Re: Just THE facts

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893375#post12893375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
Zebrasoma Gemmatum

gemtang.jpg

AKA: Gem Tang
Price: 1 mortgage payment (SoCal)
Family: Acanthuridae
Genus: Zebrasoma
Species: Gemmatum
Range: Indian Ocean, Rich peoples' tanks
Size: 6 inches.... hopefully
Diet: Herbivore, surprisingly not picky unlike most expensive fishes
Tank Set-up: Marine ok, Corals ok, esp rare LE stuff
Reef Compatible: Sure
Invert Safe: Snails...yes. mantis shrimp... NO WAY. Take shrimpie out ASAP. If shrimpie makes my Gem Tang his dinner you bet he's gonna be chillin in the casserole tonight.
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Light: Definitely LED lights. Gem Tangs hate cheap power compact lights
Temperament: Can get aggressive towards similar species, so if you have a yellow tang that is bullying the Gem tang, I suggest you take that Old Yeller ASAP and toss it in the sump. You don't want a $20 fish beating up a $3500 fish.
Swimming Level: $3500 includes basic swimming lessons
Care Level: EXPERT ONLY. Time to whip out that wallet and order a Bubble King ASAP. A fish of this caliber shouldn't swim in the same water the Jebo is in. Don't be cheap. Buy the Bubble King NOW.
Color Form: Not too much, just polk-a-dots. Anyways, if you want color I suggest you get a Regal angel.. it's also about 20x cheaper and has more colors!
Wife Comments: WHAT?? YOU SOLD THE MINIVAN TO BUY WHAT???????????
Reproduction: Not in our tanks :lol:

lighten up guys!

Thanks xtm---how quickly some of us:D forget to laugh and put things in perspective

However some of your facts my be incorrect:lol: :rollface: :lol:
Just kidding

Reef Central needs a Wiki. That would be the perfect place for this kind of info. Then, people could log in and edit/add just like any other Wiki without having to dig through LENGTHY threads.

Then, have info in the Wiki and discussion/questions in the threads.

Wiki would need some strict rules for classification and some more relaxed rules for opinion. For example, tangs are mostly herbivores, but if they eat any meat, then they are omnivores - they need to be listed as Omnivores since the scientific community already has these terms well defined. If people wanted to offer opinions about "always adding tangs at the same time", "the body shape theory", etc. then that should be allowed, but marked as opinion only.

Last edited:
On Wikipedia, if there isn't a reference I just assume it's opinion. I assume it would be similar with an RC Wiki, which I think is an excellent idea.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12894900#post12894900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jda
Reef Central needs a Wiki. That would be the perfect place for this kind of info. Then, people could log in and edit/add just like any other Wiki without having to dig through LENGTHY threads.

Then, have info in the Wiki and discussion/questions in the threads.

Wiki would need some strict rules for classification and some more relaxed rules for opinion. For example, tangs are mostly herbivores, but if they eat any meat, then they are omnivores - they need to be listed as Omnivores since the scientific community already has these terms well defined. If people wanted to offer opinions about "always adding tangs at the same time", "the body shape theory", etc. then that should be allowed, but marked as opinion only.

okay I'll bite--what's is a wiki
Is it related to a smilie:confused:

or a nookie nookie;)

Wiki, as in wikipedia, the encyclopedia that allows us common folk to post information that may be relevant and helpful to others. :)
We tried with this thread capn', and you can't take that away from us :D

You can have a wiki for any topic. For this board, it would be the saltwater hobby. Anybody can register to edit/add and it keeps track of who added/edited what.

Check it out here.

It would be perfect for what you are trying to do - which is a good idea. With a wiki, you aren't restricted by the least common denominator, like you are in a thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12895012#post12895012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D to the P
Wiki, as in wikipedia, the encyclopedia that allows us common folk to post information that may be relevant and helpful to others. :)
We tried with this thread capn', and you can't take that away from us :D

actually not quite D to the P, we were not able to make changes to the information that we posted unless done under the hour limitations for editing.
and it became an unrealistic request to have the mods do it--they just don't have the time with the number of posters on here

I wonder if a wiki is possible on this site---where the one hour limitation was lifted for editing and making changes in the post

thanks Jda for your explanation

I thought there was no use in continuing this thread and then I was introduced to blogs
Blogs have the advantage over threads in that they can be constantly updated and edited

This was the draw back with this thread--there was no way to change what was pointed out in error or to update

I have attempted to do that in a blog and I welcome any suggestions comments corrections and links to the posts

If they are left in the suggestion box under each blog then I can edit them and keep the blog clean and accurate.

Thanking you in advance
Scott

The Facts about Tangs
http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=341

Back