just want to double check... cleaning filter socks

jacksonpt

I've heard 100 people say it's fine, but it's making me REALLY nervous, so I want to quadruple check...

I ran my dirty filter socks and filter sponges through the wash yesterday... no detergent, just water and some bleach, plus an extra spin/rinse cycle. I've let them dry for 24+ hours. Is it ok to put them back into use? The filter socks are, well, filter socks. The filter sponges go in my GFO reactor.

They still have a slight clean/bleach smell to them, if that matters.

I rinse mine out in the utility sink. Then flip them inside out and in the washing machine they go. No detergent, no bleach, nothing. I use the extra rinse cycle and when they are done they get tossed in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water to soak until I need them. I change mine out about every 3 days. Hope that helps.

Same as Capt Culley, with one additional step. I run the washing machine thru the rinse cycle before I toss the dirty socks in.

I switched to sodium percarbonate a couple years ago, it the active ingredient in oxyclean. 100% safe, can use socks right out of the wash, works better and less destructive to socks IMO.

I switched to sodium percarbonate a couple years ago, it the active ingredient in oxyclean. 100% safe, can use socks right out of the wash, works better and less destructive to socks IMO.

Great advice. If you ever look at a sock cleaned by bleach vs just hot water under the microscope it is no cleaner- just whiter. I use hydrogen peroxide because I have a free supply, but same effect, and there is a quite noticeable difference under the microscope, especially if you let them soak for an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you buy it? What concentration do you use? Do you presoak in it or add it to the washer?

I've found it several places, Amazon periodically has a seller who sells cheap, www.soapgoods.com is another source, along with multiple chemical supply places online, just do a google search. In a pinch I've used Oxy-Clean, it's mostly sodium percarbonate, the little blue granules are likely a surfactant. Do a double rinse and all good.

I put 6 large filter socks, inside out and rinsed in sink first, into the washing machine with 3-4 scoops (the kind that comes with detergent) of sodium percarbonate, hot cycle, cool double rinse......the socks work better and longer with this method, so a little more chemical cost evens out with fewer sock purchases .

Check out www.dudadiesel.com for some great filter sock deals

Plain no name bleach double the strength. Hot water. Two rinses. High heat loooooooong dry. Then let sit for awhile

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I have about 15 socks I use in rotation. When they start to overflow I turn them inside out, rinse in hot water, then throw in a bucket of bleach. When I'm down to my last sock I simply throw them in the washing machine with no soap just some more bleach.

I do an extra rinse with about a capful or 2 of prime. Let them air dry and reuse. Haven't had an issue in 2 years.

I have about 15 socks I use in rotation. When they start to overflow I turn them inside out, rinse in hot water, then throw in a bucket of bleach. When I'm down to my last sock I simply throw them in the washing machine with no soap just some more bleach.

I do an extra rinse with about a capful or 2 of prime. Let them air dry and reuse. Haven't had an issue in 2 years.

Perfect, thanks for the details!

I soak mine in a bowl of water with thin bleach for 24-36 hrs. No problem. I found that no matter how many times i 'pre spun' my machine I would see some residual foam. Even cleaned the detergent tray.
So I opted for soaking over a period time - they come up perfectly this way still. I make sure to rinse them a few times and strain them and found leaving them out in the air (outside) allows the residual bleach to gas off.

I rotate 3 socks over a week. One at 150 micro, one at 100 and then one at 50. The 150 micron sock runs a small amount of carbon for three days too which I chuck out (literally a hand full)

The 150 micron sock runs a small amount of carbon for three days too which I chuck out (literally a hand full)
Don't run carbon in a mechanical filter where it can get pulverized. Carbon fines can cause HILLE. Run carbon actively in a reactor or passively inside a mesh bag in the sump ;)

rinse, turn inside out, rinse again then into the washing machine with detergent then into the dryer. Let sit for a week and ready to use. No issues yet the last 5 years

Don't run carbon in a mechanical filter where it can get pulverized. Carbon fines can cause HILLE. Run carbon actively in a reactor or passively inside a mesh bag in the sump ;)

I really appreciate this. I hadn't considered it and perhaps was being naive by doing this. Luckily, Ive only been doing it fora month this way so ill swap out for a bag later this evening. Lesson learned.

Lateral line was something I really only considered as being something that attacked large angels and "it is what it is" and you cant prevent it. I have some reading and learning to do.

Do you think a reactor could cause the same issue? Is a bag safer?

Back