Kessil A360WE

When using a controller what is the lowest setting for the color? I know for intensity you cannot go lower than 10%, is it the same for the color?

Its the same at 10%, with Apex cant set below 15%, it turns off at 14% on both channels.

Actually, I think it's 10% on the Apex as well. Some reported 14% but it was likely crappy non Kessil link cables. I've got mine set to turn on and off at 10% intensity and that seems to work fine. I'm also using aftermarket link cables but I chose ones with thicker wires to insure better continuity. At 9AM at 10%, the lights turn on just as they should. As for color, I've got mine set to 0% at 9AM and the lights turn on just fine and are blue as expected.

Here is my intensity and color graph. The blue line is color.
imagejpg1_zps475ac93f.jpg

Last edited:
Great, thanks.

Slief, why are you not going up to 100% on the color? too white for you?

Great, thanks.

Slief, why are you not going up to 100% on the color? too white for you?

When I set them up, I matched the color to my Reeftech's as close as I could. The present color was actually a perfect match. Since I spent a fair amount of time tuning my Reeftech's color to my liking, matching the color/spectrum was appealing and also in my mind would help with acclimation. If you look at the first video I posted with half the tank lit under the Kessils and the other half lit under the Reeftech's, other than the shimmer, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference at those initial settings.

I'm running 4 360we on my 75 at 60% color and 100% intensity for about a month and a half with no bleaching at all. Mostly sps with some LPS and zoas. I even run an ATI coral+ and a blue+ t5 for 4 hrs in the middle of my light schedule and still no bleaching. My strongest par numbers on bottom glass are about 250 - 275 with Kessils only. With t5's i get about 350. My maxima clam sitting on the bottom is doing great as well. Kessils are about 6 - 7" off water line. Only time will tell. Oh and I am going from 250 Radiums.

Edit:
I didn't feel like i had enough par with just 2 so i got two more. Initially i had 2 360n's mixed with 2 360we's and the n's were too narrow and too strong so I swapped out the n's for 2 we's and love it so far.

Last edited:
Waiting for Kessil controller to be released, is like waiting for NBA 2K15 or FIFA 15 to be released. :wildone:

Apart from it can do the dim up, dim down .. what else does the controller do?

Actually, I think it's 10% on the Apex as well. Some reported 14% but it was likely crappy non Kessil link cables. I've got mine set to turn on and off at 10% intensity and that seems to work fine. I'm also using aftermarket link cables but I chose ones with thicker wires to insure better continuity. At 9AM at 10%, the lights turn on just as they should. As for color, I've got mine set to 0% at 9AM and the lights turn on just fine and are blue as expected.

Here is my intensity and color graph. The blue line is color.

Under Apex Fusion, they ramp and turn on between points, so don't know if they are just actually turning at a given time and necessarily at 0%, I had set in fusion as well, and it turn on the same as it was setup on the other web interface. If you go under the old interface and use the manual sliders under VarSpd1_I1 and VarSpd2_I2, I guarantee it wont go below 10%, if anything 14%. Its a known fact, it wont go under 10%, Ive had by itself on my Cadlight 50 cube, same thing. If your able to get it under 10% kudos to you, must be the magic thicker cables.

Under Apex Fusion, they ramp and turn on between points, so don't know if they are just actually turning at a given time and necessarily at 0%, I had set in fusion as well, and it turn on the same as it was setup on the other web interface. If you go under the old interface and use the manual sliders under VarSpd1_I1 and VarSpd2_I2, I guarantee it wont go below 10%, if anything 14%. Its a known fact, it wont go under 10%, Ive had by itself on my Cadlight 50 cube, same thing. If your able to get it under 10% kudos to you, must be the magic thicker cables.

I know they shut off at anything below 10%. They do however turn on at 10% near as I can tell. I will try to do some testing tonight when the lights go out but I am 99.99% certain that they will turn on at 10% and up.

If you look at my graph, I'm at 0% at 8:55 and ramp to 10% at 9AM. At 9AM, my lights come on. From there, the ram is very gradual.

Same goes when the lights turn off. A few seconds after 9PM when my intensity goes from 10% down to 0% at 9:05, my lights go off.

Waiting for Kessil controller to be released, is like waiting for NBA 2K15 or FIFA 15 to be released. :wildone:

Apart from it can do the dim up, dim down .. what else does the controller do?

It can change the color of the lights. They probably will also have some acclimation programs in there but beyond that, I am not aware if there are any other features such as weather. I'm sure we will hear more details from MACNA. Given the simplicity of the Kessils, there isn't anything else really needed other than variable control over intensity and color to create nice sunrise and sunsets. If you really want more control, get an Apex! Then you can control everything like me! I'm the epitome of a control freak when it comes to my tank. :beer:

I'm running 4 360we on my 75 at 60% color and 100% intensity for about a month and a half with no bleaching at all. Mostly sps with some LPS and zoas. I even run an ATI coral+ and a blue+ t5 for 4 hrs in the middle of my light schedule and still no bleaching. My strongest par numbers on bottom glass are about 250 - 275 with Kessils only. With t5's i get about 350. My maxima clam sitting on the bottom is doing great as well. Kessils are about 6 - 7" off water line. Only time will tell. Oh and I am going from 250 Radiums.

Edit:
I didn't feel like i had enough par with just 2 so i got two more. Initially i had 2 360n's mixed with 2 360we's and the n's were too narrow and too strong so I swapped out the n's for 2 we's and love it so far.

keep us posted, looking forward in seeing if all color and growth will be the same.

in my LFS, I tend to see they switch on more white than blue in their Kessil A360WE.

They're closed today but keen to know the basic answer to this.

I thought 'blue light means slow coral growth’ is a myth?

in my LFS, I tend to see they switch on more white than blue in their Kessil A360WE.

They're closed today but keen to know the basic answer to this.

I thought 'blue light means slow coral growth' is a myth?

both channels are a mix of color temps so its not really easy to say blue or white unfortunately. From the 3 other close friends that have used the a350w's they to had better color reaction from higher ratios of channel 1 over the channel 2 (bluer look).

I just installed my light, went down to 1% in the spectrum usign the ReefAngel and had no issues.
Since you have to start intensity, or end at 10% do you guys also toggle on and off the outlet when using an apex? or do you start and en a 0% and just let build up to 10% before it runs on/off?

I just installed my light, went down to 1% in the spectrum usign the ReefAngel and had no issues.
Since you have to start intensity, or end at 10% do you guys also toggle on and off the outlet when using an apex? or do you start and en a 0% and just let build up to 10% before it runs on/off?

I wanted my lights to turn on at 9am and off at 9pm. At 8:55am my lights begins an intensity ramp from 0-10% at which point the turn on, At 9am, my sunrise begins which is a 2 hour rise in intensity and shift from blue to whiter appearance. At 7pm my sunset begins and winds down just like the sunrise to 9pm where I reach 10%. At that point the lights are off. From 9pm to 9:05pm I drop from 10-0% intensity. My graph below shows where I drop from 10-0 and vice versa. There is no point in shutting the outlet off. You save no power and in my experience after 20 years in the computer industry is that computers and power supply's tend to fail less when not power cycled.

Anybody have photos of a sunset monti growing over their kessils? Having issue with color with this monti on multiple systems run kessils.

Any one running these at 100% intensity? What corals are you keeping and tank size?

Thanks

I run all mine at 100 percent with no issues. I only really have spa frags but none seem to be bothered. I also have a few RBTA and they have never had issues. The only thing that seem affected where some hairy mushrooms but I had others that didn't seem to mind. I really am not sure it this really provide the punch and power. Also though depends on what lights you are coming from. I still use in 3 250w metal halide conjunction with these as I can still tell how happier my corals are when them come on. They are more open and better polyp extension, also the colour is nicer. Don't get me wrong I do the love when just the kessils are on as well and believe they have really helped.

Back