Kessil or orphek for waterbox

phish guy

I am stuck on which route to go! I am currently setting up a waterbox 60.2 (24 x 24x 18) tank and am going back and forth with which light fixture to go with. I am going to be doing a mixed reef with only a handful of sps at the most.
I love the look of the kessils and the compact size of it, but i worry that it won't be enough light output. I know I will have enough light with the orphek but worry about more of a disco ball effect and mounting issue. I will be using a tank mounted arm on either one of the lights I decide to get. I can't stand the hanging kit look. Orpheks mounting arm has a glass thickness minimum of 10mm to use. The waterbox uses an 8mm thick glass. Is there some way I would be able to get around this issue if I were to go with orphek? Would love to get some opinions and some help with my decision. Thank you

Disco should absolutely not be a real problem with the Orphek. The diodes are close enough that they should blend well way before causing a problem even if mounted tight to the water line.

If the mounting arm just doesn't screw down fully on anything under 10mm then a simple plastic spacer of whatever you find laying around could make up the gap..
BUT if they have that rating because of the cantilever/torsion forces involved could potentially exert too much force and crack the glass then you would need to either go a different direction or bond additional glass in a way that would provide the needed strength or spread the forces other ways..

Disco should absolutely not be a real problem with the Orphek. The diodes are close enough that they should blend well way before causing a problem even if mounted tight to the water line.

If the mounting arm just doesn't screw down fully on anything under 10mm then a simple plastic spacer of whatever you find laying around could make up the gap..
BUT if they have that rating because of the cantilever/torsion forces involved could potentially exert too much force and crack the glass then you would need to either go a different direction or bond additional glass in a way that would provide the needed strength or spread the forces other ways..

If I were to put a piece of 1/4 inch glass behind the tank as extra support, would that help prevent cracking? Also, how would I mount the piece on the back or would tightening down the mount arm to the 2 pieces, be enough to hold the glass in place?

Back