Kirk's double in-wall 2 x's 400+ gallon fish room

I'm definitely doing 4 across the front, the question is weather I will do 3 or 4 in the back row, I'm leaning toward 8 total though.

I have an 8x3x2 with 5 Hydra 52s and it's enough coverage. If you are worried about spread you can always add a couple T5 bulbs.

I have an 8x3x2 with 5 Hydra 52s and it's enough coverage. If you are worried about spread you can always add a couple T5 bulbs.

how is the tank braced on top? And I would suggest doing the 4 in back and three infront then cause I'm assuming most of your rock work will be towards the back

That's good to hear. The guy that built the tanks really thinks 6 is plenty, but I would rather have a little too much than think I maybe should've done more.

how is the tank braced on top? And I would suggest doing the 4 in back and three infront then cause I'm assuming most of your rock work will be towards the back

The framers just did enough on top so the cabinet guy could finish it. Good thought on the your reasoning for 4 at the back, however, I was thinking it was more important that the front of the tank have more color pop than the back, the lights have to get all the way to the sand in the front....but both ways have validity.

Delayed this week, the tank builder has been sick the last 2 days, so no sumps, no equipment yet.....hoping by week's end!!

Thanks for the nice comments.....The dreaded intestinal flu struck the tank builder, now with him going on vacation for a week starting today, looks like middle of next week to get the sumps and equipment, then off I go...I hope.

He better throw in a free filter sock for the delay!:lmao:

Sumps are here. This is the FOWLR. Will have a trickle down with bioballs, the center section has the BIG LifeReef VS3, 6 foot tall skimmer, then goes to the return section with a Mag 24 for return.

The Reef has the larger sump. Water flows through filter socks into skimmer section with the slightly smaller VS3 5 foot skimmer, then water moves through to the huge refugium then into an open section where I will have a pump moving it into a UV Sterilizer then back in, may also utilize a pump to a calcium reactor here as well. The water then moves to a Hammerhead to return.

Tuesday will be the day we plumb both. I want the FOWLR running and ready for fish by next Friday.

Out of curiosity what are all those pipes sticking up in the swimming pool for? Some sort of closed loop flow? Or are they electrical conduits for underwater lights? (sorry I'm from San Francisco, we don't know pools over here :D)

Out of curiosity what are all those pipes sticking up in the swimming pool for? Some sort of closed loop flow? Or are they electrical conduits for underwater lights? (sorry I'm from San Francisco, we don't know pools over here :D)

When they finish the pool, they will cut and cap those with a nozzle that moves water back to the pool in a very thin circular stream of water. The goal being to get debris moving toward the skimmer. I.e., they clean the pool. The other common option is a vacuum which I'm told doesn't work very efficiently on rectangular pools.

Got much of the FOWLR plumbed today. Couple of things that I did that I know are somewhat out of style......1. is the trickle down with bioballs, I love the simplicity of them, in FOWLR nitrates are not an important issue, so I went old school here. 2. Doing part hard plumb, part soft. While hard plumb always looks better and cleaner, IME there is more that can go wrong. I liked the idea of taking the the return soft in out of the way of everything to make it easier to work on the tank.

Mag 24 submersed return....for me, the best submersible pumps out there by far.

The return comes in the left side of the tank, the external overflow is on the right as you can see, then I will have an MP 60 favoring the right side close to the overflow

Really should start photographing at night until we get window treatments on, it's ruining my photographs.:thumbdown

Tomorrow will have the Spectrapure RODI 160 gallon a day up and running, and start slowly filling the tank. As I think I stated, my General Contractor wants me to somewhat slowly fill the tanks. He's not worried about them crashing to the first floor (I hope), but there can be some "settling" that occurs from this much weight.

Back