Kole tang ich

Diamond Dave

Hello everyone. I'm running a 34 gallon QT tank with a cobalt heater, 350 bio wheel, and korallia wake maker. Tank has been cycled by ghost feeding for two months. Water is rodi from brs unit with IO crystals 32 ppt. Got a kole tang two weeks ago. Took him 6 days to start eating and he was nice and fat. Started prazi pro this morning. Removed carbon from biowheel and added an air stone, dosed 8ml into the filter to distribute. Upon returning home from work the tang has full blown ich and also some dark spots on his sides and fins. Any advice appreciated.

See a lot of looks but no replies. Tang is doing worse this morning, he's got a ripped tail to go with his ich. He's nodding side to side. Should I start cupramine with prazi running? Finish prazi's five days? Do water change run carbon to remove prazi? Is starting copper now going to kill him off? Help.

are there other fish in the tank with him?

i have never used any medications in qt, i use tank transfer instead. not sure how tt would work with an already stressed fish but it might be worth a try.

sorry for your troubles. kole tangs are gorgeous fish. i added one to my 75g several months ago after a round of tt and then 4 weeks of observation in qt.

good luck!

Running carbon and poly filter. Made 30 gallons fresh water. Going to do some water changes today. Yeah he's been alone in the tank. He's laying down in his pvc breathing hard.

Have you checked for ammonia? It will easily/fast go up in a qt. I would do a large water change first. You can use cupramine but the best method would be tt. If you gonna do cupramine go slow raising the levels and make sure you have a good test kit to test the concentration.

did you have a chance to check ammonia?

also could you post pics, it would help to see what the dark spots are

Thanks to those that helped,but the tang has died. I think it was ammonia poisoning. I didn't test because I don't have the test kit. I was thinking my qt would be fine because it was running for more than 2 months. The fish was fine until I started prazi pro. I think removing the filter cartridges to remove the carbon took too much bacteria and there wasn't enough left to detoxify.

Sorry to hear it died. get yourself a ammonia badge. They are a only few bucks and easy to use warning you of rising ammonia levels so you can do a water change or use ammonia neutralizes.

Back