Largo 300 new build

Mike,

That rock works looks cool. I might add that to my upgrade. When can I stop by? I will text you soon on my upgrade planes.

Mike,

That rock works looks cool. I might add that to my upgrade. When can I stop by? I will text you soon on my upgrade planes.

Anytime Z. Just let me know when your in the area or coming this way. We are home most all the time. If you do come, bring the huge purple cap :) (yes, I am a begger :) ).

So I fired up the tank on Fresh water Friday night. Pretty much up and ran first thing. Have a few tweeks to make to the stand pipes for height, but runs pretty much as I expected. Sump level easy to maintain and two 7 inch socks work great.

I then added one RW-20 last night ...... whoaaaaaa, this is a monster. Just one rocks the water flow and I have two!! It is turned low and still plenty of action. I like but it does make the overflow a little noisier. Anyway, looks like I have a winner and will be moving into house next weekend and putting in Salt water. I will probably end up with running one RW-20 and my Vortech MP-40 as wave makers. We will see once I get life in the tank. The Fluval Sea SP6 pump is a monster as well. I have a 1 1/4 inch return line then spilt into 4 each 3/4 inch lines for the returns. It is throttled back a little just because the turnover was too much in my opinion. It actually pulls too much from my last chamber so another reason to throttle back.

I think I have a winner, but time will tell :)

Let me know when you need help. I pretty much owe you. :)

I will let you know and nobody owes me anything! If anything, I owe the forum members for all the great help and advice on this site.

When things get going good on this one ...... frag freeby for sure to the great folks that have helped me! Hope to get some premium frags (strawberry shortcake, jack-o-lantern, bonsi, etc.) once this tank gets cycled in addition to the nice stuff I have going.

Anyway, thanks for all you that have given me great advice!
mike

So first off let me say that your tank is looking great and look forward to seeing it fill in soon! Second is a question about your rock wall.

I'm a big fan of the look and even made one myself before I relocated from Southern to northern California and sold the setup I was building. So I was wondering why you stopped the sand layer so far up from the bottom of the tank? I've seen a bunch of these in researching for building my own but don't remember having seen it stopped like that before.

Jeremy

So first off let me say that your tank is looking great and look forward to seeing it fill in soon! Second is a question about your rock wall.

I'm a big fan of the look and even made one myself before I relocated from Southern to northern California and sold the setup I was building. So I was wondering why you stopped the sand layer so far up from the bottom of the tank? I've seen a bunch of these in researching for building my own but don't remember having seen it stopped like that before.

Jeremy

Jeremy - just being lazy for the most part :). Since I will be having Live Rock set on the argonite sand bed and for the most part it extends up onto the wall so the bare spot is fully covered. Look at my 120 in the earlier pics. It was done basically the same way. I could have easily gone all the way to the bottom, but for my set up, i figured the live rock will cover. If I was going to have a set up that didn't have rock all along the back wall, then most definitely I would have run to the bottom.

Ok, all dialed in on the overflows and return flow. Flowing about 2300 gal/hr I am guessing (pump rated at 3600 but calculations if i did right about 2300 with the losses. Based on turnover, I am thinking my calculations are pretty close. Anyway, this thing is dead silent except a little noise of water going into socks. Once the doors are on, the tank is silent, all I hear is the minor hum of the main pump and the slight whine of the RW-20 that I have in just to see if it works ok :). It is as quiet or quieter than my 120.

Fixed a few leaks (duhhhh, missed three threaded fittings with threadlock) and one glue joint that was "blind" and I didn't get all the way seated. Anyway, that is all fixed.

Moving into house on Saturday and start the fill with 300 gallons of RO and salt. I'll post some pics when in the house and the initial live rock in for cycle.

mike

Did you ever get the RK Archon?

No, it does appear although that they started shipping yesterday. I am going to tie this tank into my RKE until I get it. With the PC4 you sold me and an extra I have, I can just buss into my existing tank since I will be running next to it for the time being. With 8 outlets and a few open I/O ports, I have enough to control most everything I need for now.

Look into the fishbit it's in beta stage now but it comes with salinity probe ph and temp and it's going to be around 299 affordable for everyone now

Look into the fishbit it's in beta stage now but it comes with salinity probe ph and temp and it's going to be around 299 affordable for everyone now

They don't have the beta's available anymore but the unit is going to be pretty nice. Looks like they are hoping for a June/July delivery on the first 30 beta units.

mike

Back