Largo 300 new build

Glad to hear about your father and the stand looks great! I didn't know you were going with the foam wall on this one, I like the look of those and they seem pretty easy to do. You have one on the 120 as well don't you?

I was back and forth on the rock wall, but wife wanted so went with it. Yes i do have in the 120 gallon. This will be my 4th one (110, 150, 120, and this 300). So far, they have done well but this will be the first one I have applied directly to the acrylic back :-0!

Looking good. Can u get a better pic of rock wall please

Roger - I just finished foaming the entire back a few minutes ago. Needs to dry then Tomorrow night I will do the cover coat (paint it with Gorilla Glue and cover with Argonite until dry. I will take a full tank shot Tue evening. Right now the pics are "dumb" looking :) and look kind of "raw".

mike

Looking good. Can u get a better pic of rock wall please

Roger, this is my current foam wall (very similar to what I will be doing in the new build) at about 8 months. The Red/Green/Purple Coraline algae is starting to encrust on the wall now.

mike

Update on the rock wall. I finished coating the foam tonight. I still have to trim around the weir gates and returns This pic is of about 2/3rds of it. Close up gives ya an idea on what texture I ended up going with. This one is a little more textured than my previous ones (I tried a new technique on the foaming part).

I'll have on the stand this weekend doing plumbing so should be able to get some better pictures posted :bounce1::celeb1:

How do u like it in person? I do kind of like that it won't have coraline on it.

Out of the four I have done, this one is my favorite. It will have coraline after it gets going but it doesn't just look like a big patch of purple like ya usually get on a bare background. It basically will pick up the live rock look after a while and you will usually get all the colors of the coraline on it.

It certainly is a personal preference for sure and some don't like at all. In my 120 all of my anemones (3) have attached to the rock wall and not down below in the LR.

I like the look was just surprised no rock at all on wall

Oh, now I see what your saying! Yes, I did not use rock in this one. Based on my past experience unless I wanted "large jut outs or ledges" it wasn't worth burning up a bunch of dry rock or "dead live rock". Once I get standing upright and on the stand, I might add a ledge or two based on what I want it to look like, but I would do that in foam and glue as well (pin it then work it in). Some of the dry rock you get can give you problems with phosphates as well for a period of time.

Hopefully by the time July rolls around (hosting TBRC Meeting that month) the wall will be starting to take on a good look :).

Looking good Mike! Why does the sand look so brown? Maybe it's just the lighting in the pic.

Prolly the light. It is just aragonite (1-1.5mm size) so it is whitish in color now. These shots are with the tank on it's back and blankets wrapped on the tank front and sides so not best light.

Is this going to make it that much heavier to lift? I may have to back out of my offer to help. ;)

Seriously, still need a hand moving it in place?

Not really a fan of the rock walls but your tank looks like a winner to me.

Thanks St Pete John. Ya, not everyone a fan of the walls, and I can say myself I am back and fourth. The things I like... Over time, becomes part of the reef, Easy to get lifeform to grow on, easily blends with Liverock, doesn't look like "purple wall of corraline" over time. Unless you can keep your glass (all sides) of it perfectly clean it is just easier for me. It surely is a matter of likes and dislikes and that is what is great about this hobby. A zillion ways to make water flow and as many ways to try and keep up with mother nature (who does it best :) ).

Should have water in it by Friday night running (fresh water RO with carbon). All plumbing done except 4 joints. Check for leaks and see if my design works with respect to siphon draws, emergency feed, and four returns. I keep things pretty simple, so shouldn't have many issues to deal with.

mike

Back