launchnukes' downsizing. 120 Tech Tank Build

lol. I know all about the "expensive" promises. We have decided not to put a canopy over the tank. the light fixture looks much better with the tank up and running. I actually like it alot now. thanks for the reply and compliments. your tank sounds like it's gonna be insane. what size are you going?

120just like you.

Actually i stole your Stand Picture and I'm having one made to replicate the side door access! I don't have the time to do it myself!

120just like you.

Actually i stole your Stand Picture and I'm having one made to replicate the side door access! I don't have the time to do it myself!

yeah, the side doors are a life saver. I made sure to design my new stand with them and wouldn't have it any other way....plus they look good.

i just realized that i've never posted a shot of what's going on in the garage. anyway, here are a few garage/fish room shots. excuse the mess.

gar03.jpg

gar01-1.jpg

gar02.jpg

So you drive your fish home in style eh?

2001 Dodge Viper?

good eye. it's actually a 97 (same body style though). I went with a 97 because the engine has forged internals plus it was the cleanest, lowest mileage one i could find in my six month search. i can tell you that the fish were a little mad when i told them they have to share the garage with a snake. lol.

I picked up a new camera the other day and i figured i'd screw around taking a few pics of the current tankmates. I have some new fishies on the way so i'll post a real update in the next few days. in the mean time...here are a few fish pics.

fts
01fts.jpg

02bart.jpg

03bart.jpg

04bart.jpg

05clown.jpg

06clown.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

congrats on the camera. the pics look great. i noticed you swapped out the vortechs for the tunzes. how's that working out for you?

the anthias looks very nice, how often are you feeding them?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I like the bartlett's alot. I definatly want to get a few more anthias but just not sure which ones yet. I have an auto feeder feeding a small amount of formula one flakes twice a day, and I give them a rather large feeding each night of a homemade formula.

@apshooter. I've never had a fish jump before but I have a pair of fish coming in thursday that are known for jumping so i decided to build a bird net top. I picked up all the supplies to build the top, got home, and to my suprise, I found my first jumper dead on the floor, one of my bartlett's. he must have jumped less than an hour before i could build my top :( i'll get some pics up of the top i made. i dont think it'll completely stop a firefish, but i'm sure it will help and it should stop everything else.

Excellent build. I like that you spent the time (and money) on researching and buying quality equipment, it will definitely be worth it!

Your stand is very nice looking, may I ask what type of wood and paint you used? Also, how did you make the doors (trim, etc)?

I am planning a 120 in the next year or so, I will be upgrading from a 90g so I can used all of the equipment I already had. I also plan on getting the 120 tech tank if I can't find a quality rimless locally.

How do you feel about the top trim on the tank? Does it block much light coming from your ATI T5 fixture? This is a major concern of mine, I will only be running 7 bulbs and the fixture will be resting on the aquairum (as this particular model is meant to).

Love your aquascaping and nice fish selection. I'm very curious about your net top build, please post pictures.

I have a the same tank but still empty in my garage floor. Everyday when I see it I feel excited in just imagine how nice will be when filled. I have a very tough time in making a decision on what type of lighting should I use. I like the looks of MH but I like to be energy efficient and for that I'll be looking for a T5 fixture. How do you like your T5 fixture? Are you pleased with your reef colors?

You could still so a cannopy with your ATI. I am looking at doing almos the same exact setup in a year. I would jsut build a cnopy with an open top. There you go. It will still take cold air in and will fix the isseue. You will have to have it made wheer the canopy has wood flanks that stick out so the fixture can rest on it. My fiance is the same way about the canopy. She told me that I could do what ever but she prefers teh canopy over the open top. I can understand where she is coming from.

I love your setup. I really appreciate a well-designed sump. I have been staring at your sump picture.

Do you think you could give us more details on your sump and how you have everything all plumbed together.

I am tankless right now because of repeated relocations but I am stable now and can think about a tank again. In my last tank, i used exclusively external pumps. I love the simplicity of using submerged pumps and the large sump size they allow (plus getting a sump drilled for bulkheads was a PITA). My concern with the submerged pumps is heat (I really don't want to install a chiller) and reliability. Any comments?

Thanks for sharing your story.

@ apshooter

I haven't noticed the net blocking much light at all. it's very thin material. you can find it at any lowes or home depot in the garden/pond area.

@ Logzor

Thanks. I built the stand out of 2x4s and 2x6s but I had a woodworking shop skin the stand. to be honest with you, I don't know exactly what they used.

Also, the top of the tank is the reason I went with the 8 bulb ATI and not the 10 bulb. The opening is 18.5 inches, just about the same size as the 8 bulb fixture so no light is blocked by the top.

@ others

Here's a little info on the top I built. I built the top out of bird netting and the stuff used for window screens. I've never worked with the stuff before but it was very easy. First I measured the top of the tank and made a rectangle out of the aluminum screen stuff to fit on top. then I simply installed the net exactly how I would have if it was screen. (there are directions on the bag of stuff). The netting is very thin so i dont think it will block much light. I'll get more pics when I get time but here are two below.

03-1.jpg

04-3.jpg

@ Nova101

thanks. i did a lot of research on sump design and I'm very happy with the design I chose. I wanted the sump and refugium to be as big as possible so that's why i went with an internal pump. also, I wanted to run everything off of one pump so the tank would be as efficient as possible. But the sump design itself is pretty basic.

the over flows on the tank lead to the dual filter socks on the right side. Then the water goes go through the skimmer area, through a bubble trap, and into the return area. this is where my ATO system is and of course the return pump.

the return pump feeds water through the chiller (in the garage through the wall) and into the tank. but before the chiller, it tee's off and some water goes to the left into the refugium (which overflows back into the return area). and the other two tee's lead to the carbon reactor and phosban reactor (then they go back into the return area as well).

hope this helped guys.

I like the top. any consideration with using a different material than aluminum for the frame? Or was that the only choice?

Back