launchnukes' downsizing. 120 Tech Tank Build

Great tank. Tagging along. If you don't mind me asking, what camera did you get? Also, do the Azoo cooling fans help alot? I was thinking of getting some myself.

thanks. I picked up a Nikon D40. also, I got the Azoos because they looked pretty clean and were very reasonable. They definatly help with cooling but they're not the most powerful fans in the world. Overall a pretty good fan though, actually not as loud as most cheap fans. The only thing that kind of annoys me is that they blow air backwards so if you have them mounted like i do, you're looking at the back (with the ugly stickers and all).

Two questions for you...

If one made a faux canopy for the top, would the ATB sit inside? I am thinking of making a tall one and then hanging the lights from that.

Does your tank really need a chiller? What do you feel is driving the temp up to need a chiller? Lights? Return pump?

Thanks for sharing your tank and experiences!

-Mike

Two questions for you...

If one made a faux canopy for the top, would the ATB sit inside? I am thinking of making a tall one and then hanging the lights from that.

Does your tank really need a chiller? What do you feel is driving the temp up to need a chiller? Lights? Return pump?

Thanks for sharing your tank and experiences!

-Mike

When I was considering making a top I was thinking of a few different ways. One was what you're suggesting, a tall canopy and hanging the lights from that. Another was a 3 sided canopy with no roof and keep the lights hanging from the celing but you would still see the wires hanging. The final idea was to have the fixture resting on some kind of stand in the canopy. I've decided against all of them and I actually like the hanging light now. lol.

as far as the chiller goes...it doesn't turn on nearly as much as it use to with the old setup (i had the same chiller running on a very inefficient 220 with 1300 watts of lighting). It does come on but only in the afternoon during the hot florida days. I could probabally get away without one but I had the chiller so i figured i might as well hook it up so I dont have to worry about it. I also try to keep my temp at or below 80 degrees. I think the lights and return pump are the biggest heat culprits but I they're not too bad.

Thanks for your replies.

I wonder...would it be possible to make a 3-sided canopy (open top) that had a thin strip of wood on the inside of both sides and then just rest the ATI unit on the strips? Is the ATI unit strong enough to support this way? This would serve the dual purpose of "hanging" the unit and also stop all the light spill over.

Thanks for your replies.

I wonder...would it be possible to make a 3-sided canopy (open top) that had a thin strip of wood on the inside of both sides and then just rest the ATI unit on the strips? Is the ATI unit strong enough to support this way? This would serve the dual purpose of "hanging" the unit and also stop all the light spill over.

the ATI is a beast, it's definatly strong enough to rest on a support. I would just make sure that whatever support there was, that it would be impossible for the fixture to fall in the water. also, keep in mind that the fixture is pretty heavy and the big ones are very awkward to lift with one person.

a few updates...

on sunday I picked up 10 small sps frags. most ora and good stuff. some great colors but they're TINY.

also, i just ordered a two part kit from BRS and some Salifert test kits. they were expensive but i've finally decided i'm going to take the extra step to keep sps the right way. and that includes lots of testing. lol. hopefully the extra effort will lead to better colors and growth.

earlier today I dragged my wife and son (15 mos old) to the fish store to get a sand sifting goby. my son had a blast playing with buckets (as usual) and the store cat. I can't say my wife had as much fun as he did. I picked up a good size diamond goby and my wife picked out a fish for herself, a small high fin goby.

and finally...you guys will all be proud....I set up a quick little qt tank. lol. here are a few pics of the 10 gal qt and the new fishies.

02-6.jpg

03-4.jpg

04-5.jpg

05-4.jpg

oh, and i took apart my skimmer and gave it and the sicce pump a good clean and boy did that make a difference! skimmer shot just because.

01-6.jpg

that's a FAT goby! haha What frags did you pick up?

hey, he's very sensitive of his weight. lol.

here's a few of the corals i picked up.

Blue Mille
Purple Tip Bottlebrush
Purple Plasma
Purple Haze Monti

and a few others but i can't think of the names right now.

Great build, beautiful tank!

In this pic, what is the blue-green SPS above the yellow tang?

I don't know an actual name for it but i bought it as a green table acro. It's a greenish color with sky blue tips and it's pretty hairy too. it's not the greatest color ever but it's very cool because it's made a pretty big table/ledge. definatly my fastest grower.

This thread has been very helpful as I am considering getting same tank or having a rimless built with same dimensions and style of overflow. I can get the tech 120 for $1300 and waiting on a qoute for for custom job, will likely be twice as much.

This thread has been very helpful as I am considering getting same tank or having a rimless built with same dimensions and style of overflow. I can get the tech 120 for $1300 and waiting on a qoute for for custom job, will likely be twice as much.

Thanks. I was also looking at similar custom tanks but it just didn't make sense to me to spend the extra $.

been following this thread from the background. Wonderful setup so far! ATB looks like it's performing well. Those flames really stand out!

Keep up the good work!

I have three tunze 6055s in the tank right now. I was getting a little bored, so I figured I'd mix it up a little and try to build a wavebox out of one of them. I decided to build it smaller than the large tunze wavebox but bigger than the nanobox. Also, i decided to use black acrylic (so i wouldn't have to paint it) to stop algae growth on the inside of the box.

first. the supplies

wavebox01.jpg

drilling the hole for the 6055.

wavebox02.jpg

after a little bit of sanding...it fits.

wavebox03.jpg

i then glued the box together using weldon #4. but i forgot to take pictures. lol

the completed box with tunze installed

wavebox04.jpg

a shot of the pump in the box.

wavebox06.jpg

after the box was completed, i put it in the tank and mounted it using the 6055 magnet and a large suregrip magnet. I tuned it to the right frequency using a laptop and the 7096. and it actually worked. lol. the final result was a pulse of 0.40 seconds.

a quick little video of the results. excuse the video quality, i couldnt find the charger to my new camera so this was made with a 5 year old video camera. in the video the only pumps on are the return pump and wavebox.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8iwzgAlhUA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8iwzgAlhUA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

great job on the wave box. Looks sweet!

I know you're planning on upgrading down the road, but do you think you can keep a yellow tang in that tank for the long run? I'm thinking about setting up a 120g tech and would like to keep a yellow tang in it. Any aggression so far? Thoughts?

Thanks!

great job on the wave box. Looks sweet!

I know you're planning on upgrading down the road, but do you think you can keep a yellow tang in that tank for the long run? I'm thinking about setting up a 120g tech and would like to keep a yellow tang in it. Any aggression so far? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, i do plan on upgrading to a 300+- in a year or so but i dont think keeping a yellow tang in a 48x24 would be too bad. He's pretty small right now and both him and the hippo seem to have plenty of space to swim. You may run into aggression issues if he was 4"+ but i think a smaller one would be fine for years. I'm sure many people wont agree with me on this, but it's just my opinion. thanks for your comment.

Your tank is looks amazing!!! Nice selection of corals and fish. Great wavemaker box project and video. Congrats!

Got a question about your stand. Did you skin the stand yourself or had a carpenter do it?

And about how much did you spend on the stand?

Back