Lauren's Dirt Cheap DIY Nano Reef

I tested the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and all read zero. I dont think I am going to get a cycle in this tank since I used live rock from my old tank. I am noticing a tiny bit of diatom on some rocks but I think that is from the new sand. I put two peppermint shrimp to take care of the couple of teensy aptasia I have noticed in there, 5 bluelegs and 5 astrea snails, All purchased at Custom Reef Creations! I want to start out with algae free rock. I left the rock predominantly in the dark to hopefully kill the majority of it before it went into my tank, or anyone elses, but I have noticed a little bit here and there and I want to nip it in the bud now.

That looks absolutely stunning. It will be one beautiful slice of ocean once you get some colorful corals in there. Good luck, and I will be following along.

Well, I have the club par meter here at my house so I went ahead and tested my tank (and the comas frag tank) while I have it. The par at sand level in my tank is only about 65 and around 100 at the top of the rockscaping. I think I am going to have to invest in another par bulb so that I can lower them both without having the spotlight effect. The one I have is RapidLed Par38 with 7 x 3watt LEDs I dont know the lens but I am assuming its a 60 degree. They are currently sold out of the 60 degree ones and the boost par 30 led has only 5 3 watt leds in a 40, or 60 degree lens for about $10 less and they offer more color options. Should I get a RapidLED 80 degree lens bulb, or the boost bulb in a 60? Ill probably just wait for Rapid LED to get the 60 back in stock. Dont really want to spend the money on it right now anyway. I was watching a really good youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUUC3LBt1lc&feature=colike green aquariums part 5 The guy went out around to multiple tanks and took par readings of certain corals that were growing well and found that many corals, including alot of hard corals will at or under Par 100. But obviously, ideally, I would have 100 at the sand bed and 200-300 at the top. I think I can grow coral with the current levels but they just wont have the color I am looking for. I can work toward that.
I was thinking about buying a really nice pair of black occelaris clowns from High Def but was worried they might blend into my false wall. Well, when I was at the grand opening of Custom Reef Creations Monday I saw a really cute misbar clown and went back and bought him today. He is tiny and his stripe is the shape of North America on one side and has an orange spot in it on the other side. I fell in love with him and decided I would like a pair of misbars. Since they didnt have anymore, Bill is ordering one that will hopefully get along with mine. I cant decide whether I want to call him Americus Nation or Spot. How bout Spoticus Americus! Dont worry High Def! I promise to purchase my goby and pistol shrimp from you. Im alot about spreading the wealth lol. Obviously, Im also about impulse buys. I cant help it. I am a woman.
So the question for the next fish (which I plan to wait around a month to introduce) is whether I should get a two spot goby or a randal's goby. Do two spots even host pistol shrimp? It would be really cool if I could get one of these:
shrimpgobywidebarred7207.sized.jpg

but that aint gonna happen

What is that? He's awesome! I have a randals and tiger pistol pair an I like them both. Nice tank, btw. Ibet it will be great.

that would be the metallic or Wide-Barred shrimp Goby. (latin name Amblyeleotris Latifasciata). Really nice looking fish

don't want to get him because of price?

Well, I have the club par meter here at my house so I went ahead and tested my tank (and the comas frag tank) while I have it. The par at sand level in my tank is only about 65 and around 100 at the top of the rockscaping. I think I am going to have to invest in another par bulb so that I can lower them both without having the spotlight effect. The one I have is RapidLed Par38 with 7 x 3watt LEDs I dont know the lens but I am assuming its a 60 degree. They are currently sold out of the 60 degree ones and the boost par 30 led has only 5 3 watt leds in a 40, or 60 degree lens for about $10 less and they offer more color options. Should I get a RapidLED 80 degree lens bulb, or the boost bulb in a 60? Ill probably just wait for Rapid LED to get the 60 back in stock. Dont really want to spend the money on it right now anyway. I was watching a really good youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUUC3LBt1lc&feature=colike green aquariums part 5 The guy went out around to multiple tanks and took par readings of certain corals that were growing well and found that many corals, including alot of hard corals will at or under Par 100. But obviously, ideally, I would have 100 at the sand bed and 200-300 at the top. I think I can grow coral with the current levels but they just wont have the color I am looking for. I can work toward that.
I was thinking about buying a really nice pair of black occelaris clowns from High Def but was worried they might blend into my false wall. Well, when I was at the grand opening of Custom Reef Creations Monday I saw a really cute misbar clown and went back and bought him today. He is tiny and his stripe is the shape of North America on one side and has an orange spot in it on the other side. I fell in love with him and decided I would like a pair of misbars. Since they didnt have anymore, Bill is ordering one that will hopefully get along with mine. I cant decide whether I want to call him Americus Nation or Spot. How bout Spoticus Americus! Dont worry High Def! I promise to purchase my goby and pistol shrimp from you. Im alot about spreading the wealth lol. Obviously, Im also about impulse buys. I cant help it. I am a woman.
So the question for the next fish (which I plan to wait around a month to introduce) is whether I should get a two spot goby or a randal's goby. Do two spots even host pistol shrimp? It would be really cool if I could get one of these:
shrimpgobywidebarred7207.sized.jpg

but that aint gonna happen

I have a randals goby in my tank and Celia has a Yashi goby in hers and both have an incredible personallity!! I would highly recomend either.

Here is my new fishy. He was sold to me as a misbar occelaris but I really dont know what the heck he is! He sort of looks like a semi snowflake and a misbar mixed together

right side
lauremf2002

left side
lauremf2002

So exciting... I'm currently in the process of getting started on a tight budget nano reef like yours!
Can't wait to see the tank in the future.

well got a some new fish to replace the jumper and added some eggcrate to the top of the tank until I build the screen

misbar percs
lauremf2002

lauremf2002

lauremf2002

lauremf2002

lauremf2002

I like it. My only criticism is the brackets under the counter. Paint them white and they will blend in with the wall. They jumped out at me in a pic. Its going to be very cool once its all grown in.

Back