Lauren's Dirt Cheap DIY Nano Reef

lauremf2002

Today I purchased a 20 gallon long glass tank that I will be turning into a nano reef with a built in sump in the side. The tank is going on a bar between my kitchen and dining room. Because of this, I would like all filtration, heater etc. to be hidden in the sump compartment. My goal is to build this entire tank with less than $100. Right now, I would like to hear your suggestions for very compact submersible pumps that are budget friendly yet reliable and would like some suggestions on tiny in sump skimmers as well. I will post some sketches of what I'm thinking about for sump compartments. For now, here are my inspirations:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t180570.html

Last edited:
PicoMay10_08a.jpg

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to just use a MaxiJet pump (1200 is what I would use). They're cheap, easy to come by, and have always been reliable for me.

As far as the skimmer goes, I would skip it entirely. Any decent skimmer would be far too big. The key with efficient skimming is the air/water contact time for the proteins to stick to the bubbles. Unless you had some crazy, elaborate way to accomplish this, it wouldn't be worth your time or pocketbook.

Another option that you could do is use a canister filter under a cabinet. Ninjafish did a great job with this on his pico tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nJqOrAFZ7VU

My bio cube came with a skimmer that uses an air stone works pretty good. Looks like it would pretty easy to build one

My suggestion would be to just use a MaxiJet pump (1200 is what I would use). They're cheap, easy to come by, and have always been reliable for me.

As far as the skimmer goes, I would skip it entirely. Any decent skimmer would be far too big. The key with efficient skimming is the air/water contact time for the proteins to stick to the bubbles. Unless you had some crazy, elaborate way to accomplish this, it wouldn't be worth your time or pocketbook.

Another option that you could do is use a canister filter under a cabinet. Ninjafish did a great job with this on his pico tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nJqOrAFZ7VU

Avoid the Maxi-Jet Pro pumps if at all possible, look for the older style Italian made MJ pumps sometimes sold with the Cobalt brand-name, more reliable, and MUCH quieter. Mediabaskets.com has the old-style MJ1200 at a pretty reasonable cost, but would eat up a third of your $100 budget.

As for skimmers, about the best nano-sized skimmer available is the Tunze Nano, spendy, but nearly silent, and it works quite well.

Old style MaxiJets? What happened with MaxiJet pumps? Did the company sell out? That's distressing news. All my MaxiJets are older, so I must have these old styles you're speaking of.

I ended up getting a Taam Rio 1700 because of cost, size and availability. Its 640 gph and I will split the out put with a Y. Hopefully wont need a power head in the tank now. Dropped of tank and cardboard model of false wall and baffles at Eaton Quade Plastics and Signs downtown. They will be cutting all the pieces, plus cutting the overflows and tapping the false wall for me so I can screw the modular hose system directly into it. I will be assembling the sump myself because it is way cheaper and shouldnt be too hard. The plastics place builds tanks if anyone needs and acrylic sump or tank. They charge $75 an hour though plus the cost of materials. Hence, my deciding to bond the pieces together myself. I bought a 10lb bag of carab sea arag alive fiji pink and some misc plumbing parts I needed to split the modular hose. Everything should be ready to assemble next week.

In the meantime, I need help figuring out how to make the counter top in this cut out between my kitchen and dining area stable enough to hold a 20 gallon tank. Its totally not doable right now. Im semi-handy, but I am no carpenter and have no idea what to do. If someone could tell me or better yet show me what to do, I would very much appreciate it. There would definately be a pizza and my eternal gratitude in your future if you could help me out with this.
Here is a picture of where I want to put the tank. Please ignore the junk.
lauremf2002

Lauren,

Is the issue the stability of the ledge?

If so, I would recommend a bracket that runs up from the floor, along side the electrical outlet. That way the bracket can be anchored to the stud adjacent to the outlet and the cables can be tucked either inside it, or alongside it for neat ness.

Thats about the only thing I can suggest, short of actually making a stand for the tank.

Paul.

How much/little are you wanting to change?if it is just making the ledge stable you could get a pair of corbels http://www.vandykes.com/category.as...100000007068&gclid=CPial7eMgq4CFSYaQgodChCn3A and extend the shelf of the ledge as far as you needed it to go think fireplace mantel but slightly modified. the way that opening is framed behind the drywall there is studs doubled up on either side of the opening and a "header" beam running the span there should also be a stud runnig down the center on one side or the other of the outlet as paul said. as long as the corbels are anchored into the studs or the header it will be stable and strong enough to hold the 150-200 pounds you are working with. Depending on how crazy you wanted to get with construction we could even run electric down from the attic and have it come out above the tank. PM me the measure ments of the opening and I'll try to draw something up to show you what I've got bouncing around in my head.

Round one: bonding acrylic (don't make fun of my books)
lauremf2002

when using large jars of rice as weights, this will likely happen:
lauremf2002

round two, bonding acrylic
lauremf2002

I thought it was pretty smart using that corner shelf as a *90 angle. It wasn't. When I put the sump/false wall in the tank, that small compartment for the filter media is about 1cm from the glass. :facepalm: I will have to get creative when sealing that.

Here it is in the tank
lauremf2002

How much do you think it would cost to put DIY LEDs over this tank? It will be a while before I can afford to do anything but I would like to know if it is even an option. Right now, I'm just going to put a 24inch power compact over it. I really like those LED bulbs but they are expensive. It would be cool to put a pendant light over the tank though.

Back