Lets Hear Those Fish Names!!!!

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

Few critters in my tank earn names but those that do are pretty special. The ones that have earned names are:

Midas blenny - 'Benny'
Potters Wrasse - 'Ninja Starfighter'
Pair of cleaner shrimp - 'Steve Martin and Chevy Chase'

Clownish = Yuko
Regal tang = Blue
2 green chromis = "the two stooges" (I had 3, one died)
Midas Blenny = Benny the blenny
2 damsels, a three stripe and a king damsel = pinkie and the brain
Juvenile emporer angelfish = Ghengis Khan

Yellow tang - Jerry (I had another yellow tang that died unfortunately, and my mother in law thinks that the "new" yellow is the old yellow hence-sidefeld-jokester)
Powder Blue Tang-whoopie (goldberg)-cuz of the big puffed lips-no I am not racist, i cant help the names my wife picks

Never name a fish.......with that said, here's the names of my critters:

Occelaris Clown: Marvin....because, for a clownfish, he's not that funny

Purple firefish: Sheldon...my wife and I like the Big Bang Theory and this fish seems kind of neurotic.

Royal Gramma: Wallowitz...again, Big Bang Theory...and because this fish's "wardrobe" clashes like that of the character he's named for.

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp: Jacques

Convict Blennies: Stumpy and Brunhilda. Stumpy because he lost his caudal fin in a fight with his abusive beast of a girlfriend, Brunhilda

Yellow Watchman Goby: Rorschach...because he's a "Watchman" (like from the comic/movie) and he just looks p'd off.

Haven't named my possum wrasse, court jester goby, peppermint shrimp or emerald crab. Not sure if I will. I'd need to see some more personality from them before I figure out what their names are.

My first couple fish and snail I named after the local news personalities. David Wire (Dave) the clownfish, his mate Susan Dinkle, and the snail, Pamela Gardener, because she's quite stupid on TV, like a snail. :)

After that we just sort of psuedo-named them after their actual names. Gramma the Royal Gramma, Tang the yellow tang, Hippo the Blue Tang, BW the Black and White Ocellaris, ect...

I don't name my fish beyond "THE" as in THE goby, THE urchin, THE clown etc.

It has nothing to do with me considering myself too cool to name a fish. I just try not to get too attached. It makes it easier if they don't make it.

P.s. It dosen't work..... I get attached anyway.

My reef tank when started, all fish were named after characters from pulp fiction.
Clown pair / pumpkin & honey bunny
Nasau / jules
Scopus / vincint
Coral banded shrip / capt coones
I forget the rest as those fish didn't make it past 1st year (beginners' mistakes)

My freshwater/ brakish was all named after famous gangsters
Pacu / dillinger
Lrg cat shark / capone (he was ba!)
Spotted puffer / danger
Some weird gold puffer / gottI
Big pleco / murder face (lol)
I forget the rest but it was cool when getting then started cause my girlfriend and I were just so into it together.

The only fish with names that have stuck are:

-my two FW discus (Sonic and Knuckles) and FW pictus catfish (Mr. Miagi)
-my 4 stripe damsel (Mr. Roboto... because he swims oddly, like short bursts of motion, lol)
-

Last edited:
Nemo and Marlin (guess why and by who)
Moody - Atlantic Blue Tang
Orca - Domino Damsel (soon to be gone)
Dozer - Diamond goby
Dumb and Dumber - 2 Yellowtail Damsels (for the first 2 weeks just watched the food float by while others ate it)
Hawk - Flame Hawk who watches me like a hawk when I'm maintaining the tank
Dragon - Mandarin

Clowns- Coral and Marlin officially, but I have never called them that, my sister named them originally, and various girls have tried to name others, but nothing has stuck at all.

Coral, I like that. Started out calling mine Nemo but he is a she so Coral would be better. My black and white one is Ebony :spin1:

I have two PJ cardinals named One Fish and Two Fish. A red fire fish named Red Fish. And a yellow tail damsel named... come on guess.

Nemo and Marlin (guess why and by who)

LOL...just figured out why "Marvin" didn't sound quite right for my clown....guess his name just changed again. Doesn't matter in my case, anyway. He's about to get his butt booted from the tank for being an absolute bully. Can't add any more fish to the tank without him/her going ballistic. PITA clownfish.

I got two clowns and my gf instantly named then Nemo and Marlin...how original! even after I explained to her I'm hoping for them to become a mated pair...lol

4 chromis have no names because they are impossible to tell apart.

Lawnmower Blenny named Briggs (like Briggs and Stratton a popular lawnmower engine haha) .

And one fire shrimp who is also unnamed. Maybe Houdini since he always hides lol.

Back